“Top of the world”

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #212 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Coming all the way from Cape Town for a event at the hotel, Genny Fady was the nicest and kindes person to help me with an early check in as well as putting me up , literally , in a very nice room at the 24 th floor. What a bliss after a long journey. The room was very nice and clean an I have been ask serval times if I was happy with the room.
I really enjoyed my stay there and also the people working at the event were very friendly and helpful .
I'll be back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear KDorothee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Affinia Manhattan story with all of us. We highly appreciate your lovely comments regarding our friendly and helpful front office team. We all are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and found the room very clean and comfortable. Whenever you decide to visit New York City again, we would love to be your go-to hotel in New York City.

Alex Spektor

Write a ReviewReviews (5,509)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The management here at the Affinia Manhattan was incredibly generous in unsnarling a reservation mistake that I made. They really went over the top to make the situation right and I strongly recommend a hotel that goes out of its way as this one just did.
The room is well appointed, and the courtyard view isn't much, but it is very quiet. Quiet is an invaluable commodity right here next to Madison Square Garden.

1  Thank Makooda7

Dear Makoda7,

I’m delighted to read your review and am happy to see that our team went the extra mile to accommodate you here at Affinia Manhattan. Whenever your travels bring you back to New York, we’d love to be your hotel of choice.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Firstly, all the staff we encountered were excellent, courteous, helpful, and this is key to feeling good about a hotel. If you want location in Manhattan, you will appreciate this hotel, also an excellent restaurant with good value offered. However if you want peace and tranquillity ( this is Manhattan, remember) then this is not for you. It is quite an old hotel and as such soundproofing is not really very good, so you will be likely to hear " the sounds of the street" long into the night. The N.Y.P.D traffic department is close by, and they contribute much of the racket, however the hotel do provide ear plugs to aid rest. I think the hotel is in the process of being refurbished, and whilst the suite we had was clean, and maintained well, there was a noticeable odour from the carpet. A sort of bad feet smell, and honestly it was the carpet, not us. Also the lighting in the rooms and corridors was little dingy and depressing, however these points are minor, it is a good hotel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Try and book one which is recently refurbished, and as far away as possible from street noise.

Dear dylan0610,

Thank you for your review and very valuable feedback.
It looks you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us especially enjoying our central location and our friendly and helpful staff members. The additional feedback regarding the product is appreciated as we use it to make ongoing improvements in the building. We do hope that you’ll visit us again soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Affinia Manhattan (AM) as part of our honeymoon, to be honest I don’t think I would stay here again. Having stayed in Affinia Shelburne on our previous trip to NYC we both had raised expectations for AM. However AM was not all we hoped it to be.
Firstly on our late evening arrival we were informed that the room we had booked (studio suite) was unavailable on our first night of our stay so we were put up in a deluxe room and by way of apology we would be refunded $40 (still to receive!), have free Wifi for our stay, a bottle of wine and the next night we would be upgraded to a one-bed suite. We thought well it’s only for one night and we were both very tired. The deluxe room was ok; nice big bed, plenty of space, although the bathroom was the size of postage stamp and seemed quite grubby.
As we were moving rooms, we were to leave our bags packed and hotel staff would move them to our new room (did forget to repack shampoo/shower gel so lost them in the process). The following day was my birthday so we went out for the day to enjoy the city and fit in some activities before returning to the hotel around 4pm. When we got to the desk we were told we had been up graded to a deluxe one-bed room suite, one of the best rooms. When we got to the room, bearing in mind it is our honeymoon, we had a one-bedroom suite with two small beds (smaller than our double bed at home). As we are not the type to complain, we unpacked and began our holiday. Room was a nice size and had two bathrooms so there was no rushing about getting ready, however again I would highlight bathrooms were a little run down…the one off bedroom had a broken toilet seat. Two nights into our stay in this room when describing room to my mum she told us she had contacted hotel to inform them we were on our honeymoon, ten minutes later we got a phone call from reception asking if we were too settled in to move, as we thought it would be too much hassle to move again having unpacked everything. Instead we were given a meal voucher for restaurant next to hotel. Food was good but had to factor in drinks and service charge so probably spent more than we would have done if we went out to another restaurant.
Hotel location is pretty decent, handy for shopping and subway. Although can be noisy at some points through the night…even though we were on 27th floor. Would also say there is a lack of seating areas in lobby. Due to shopping we had too many bags to carry on train so decided on a taxi to Newark for flight home. Bell boy who helped us with bag suggested us taking one of the hotels town cars which were a flat rate of $100. At first we thought this to be a little steep but in hindsight glad we took it as tunnel was queued back due to an accident so feel taxi fare would have mounted up. Also the driver was very nice.
In summary, ok hotel but for another special occasion I would look into an alternative hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jshanney27
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Jshanney27,

Thank you for your review and comments.
I’m sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time around and am thoroughly reviewing the details of your stay with my team members. It is guests like yourself that help us to refine our processes and ensure our systems are seamlessly functioning. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future so that we can provide you with an outstanding experience at our hotel. Once again, I highly appreciate your comments and feedback.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Rooms: dated with wall unit A/Cs not well cleaned and loud. Floors and walls had scratches, bathtub old, shower curtain smelled bad. Fridge empty.

Biz center: Located at the corner of the spacious lobby w 4 apple machines (nice). I had work and didn't bring my laptop, so I went there after midnight to finish it quietly. I was surprised that MS office cost $0.40 /min!!! So I went back to my room v. Disappointed and wrote this review.
Over all the one thing I liked was the lobby and high wifi speed. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Etrefemme,

Thank you for your review.
I’m sorry that we did not exceed your expectations this time. I am reviewing your feedback with our management team to ensure the points in your review are addressed. Thank you for choosing our hotel and do hope that you’ll give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for a girls getaway to see Billy Joel at MSG - loved it! Room was clean and big with 2 queens, living area, 2 baths and kitchenette. Couldn't get any closer to MSG- literally a minute walk! Walked to hotel from bus station. Hotel bar is fun and upbeat. Don't forget free wine served everyday in lobby from 5-6pm. Walked to highline drive- probably 20 minutes but manageable. Duncan donuts and Starbucks right across street. Staff was friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2014
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Karen s,

Thank you for such a beautiful review!
I’m thrilled to see that you found our hotel convenient for your event at Madison Square Garden and our rooms immaculately clean and spacious. This is such a central location that, as you mentioned, you have Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a plethora of other cafes and restaurants right around the corner. Whenever you decide to visit again, don’t hesitate to contact us directly or visit our hotel website for the best and latest offers. Many thanks for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed there in March 2008 for 10 nights and it was just great. Spacious suite, excellent cocktails
( especially Cosmos) and good Guinness, great room service, very friendly staff and coffee available in the lobby area early in the morning. The location is excellent.

I remember the Concierge was really helpful in getting us tickets for a Mets game at Madison Square Gardens, which was a great experience.

We loved our stay there. We are booked in for an 8 night stay starting 30 May, and subsequent to the refurbishment we have booked a Terrace Suite this time, which we are really looking forward to staying in. We are, of course, also looking forward to partaking of the evening wine hour.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lizziebackcourse
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Lizziebackcourse,

I’m thrilled to read your review of your 2008 visit – and delighted to hear that you’ll be staying with us in just a few short weeks! This time around, you’ll enjoy our newly renovated guestrooms and lobby and the terrace suite just adds that special touch. Should you have any additional preferences, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you immensely for your loyalty and business.