“Awful hotel”

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #210 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Despite the glossy photos of this hotel on arrival we were very disappointed! The reception area is quite smart but the lifts take so long to take you up to your room. The corridor on the level I stayed at was very grubby and smelt like it had been used as a public toilet. Once we got into our room we were once again disappointed with the size of the room, you had to shuffle around the bed which was only a double size ( we had two beds in our room which is the only good thing because we had somewhere to put our suitcases)!!!! When we checked in we were told we were entitled to 20% discount in the restaurant so you can imagine our surprise when after having our breakfast we were told this only includes dinner! When we complained the manager eventually and reluctantly agreed to pay half of our bill. We could have gone up the road to a cafe for fraction of the cost! We paid well over the odds for this hotel and was told if we had come a week earlier we would have paid less and had breakfast included! Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds! The rooms were very noisy from the traffic all night I did have to use the ear plugs which were kindly left in the bedside draw!
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting New York.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tinarosemc
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Tinarosemc,

Thank you for your review.
Our hotel offers many different guestroom and suite types which are tailored for our guests needs. When it comes to the dining discounts at Niles, it seems that some miscommunication may have occurred and I’m terribly sorry that our team did not provide a clear explanation of what the discount covered. I do hope that you will give our hotel another chance and an opportunity to make it all right.

Alex Spektor

Write a ReviewReviews (5,433)

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Great room. excellent staff who went the extra mile to ensure that the stay was perfect. Sorted out transfers efficiently even when taxis were confusing. Had a problem with one of our party who was taken ill they contacted a doctor and kept checking to make sure that everything was fine. Could not recommend this hotel higher

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Peter F,

Thank you for your lovely review and am very happy to see that our team did whatever they could to ensure that your loved one was well.
Whenever your travels bring you back to New York City, I look forward to welcoming you back.

A TripAdvisor Member
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed in the Affinia Manhattan from 8 May 14 to 12 May 14 with my partner. It was a lovely hotel. Staff were very courteous. Room was excellent. Could not fault anything. Would definitely come back again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for this great review reflective of your recent stay at Affinia Manhattan.
I appreciate the kinds words you had to share and would love another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location was perfect as my daughter and I were both arriving into penn station. It's right across the street. We stayed two nights. Our first room was the size of a postage stamp, but we know it's NYC, so no complaints about that. What did bother us was the leak in the window, cold air rushing in, causing the heat to bump up. When we called maintenance, they came and used duct tape to fix it! We made it through one night, but politely mentioned the problem to a manager the next morning. He found us another room, slightly larger but more importantly, no leaky window. Included among the amenities were earplugs. We are sound sleepers, so noise doesn't usually bother us (though it did the first night, duct tape doesn't keep sirens out). We used the ear plugs on the second night and slept well. The beds were comfortable with very nice linens.
We appreciated the complimentary wine at 5pm (sharp and without any munchies to accompany it) and enjoyed sitting in the lovely lobby. We ate one breakfast there, and though I'm not fond of buffets, this one was quite good, fresh fruit, fresh eggs, a bargain in NYC for $20.
We had a good rate, so it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KMc-NM

Dear kdmc,

Thank you for your review.
I appreciate your feedback and am thoroughly sorry that you have experienced some glitches with your room this time around. Needless to say, our management team takes our guests comments very seriously and, as you mentioned, were able to provide you with a room that was much more appropriate. I do hope that we will get another chance to welcome you back and ensure that your stay is simply perfect.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location of this hotel is very convenient if you want to stay near Penn station, which has good airport and public transport links.

The lobby is lovely. Unfortunately less than half the lifts are working at the moment, which makes catching a lift a little slow in such a busy hotel.

I had two rooms in this hotel. Unfortunately the first room I was given was noisy and on a lower floor (no the earplugs provided did not help), so I asked to be moved which they did immediately. The second room was on level 19 and was quieter. I suggest this hotel double-glazes all the windows in this hotel, both to shut out some of the noise and also to ensure the windows close properly as one of my windows had a cold draft.

The wifi access at this hotel was excellent.

I had a room with a kitchenette. There was a microwave and fridge, a stovetop, coffee machine, cutlery, crockery, a frying pan and two saucepans. No cutting knives, wooden spoons, kettle, toaster, can opener, bowl, etc ... the lack of cooking implements compared with other apartments I've stayed in gave me the impression the hotel is either very cheap or doesn't trust its guests.

The customer service was ok ... when you manage to speak with somebody. There was once incidence when I waited nearly 15 minutes at reception to change some coins for the washing machine because there was only one person serving behind the counter, yet there were 3 staff in the lobby having a discussion and none of them thought to help their colleague out.

All in all, a little disappointing and I probably won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor - it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PriscillaFromSydney

Dear PriscillaFromSydney,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I appreciate you taking the time and letting us know areas for improvement which we take very seriously and will be working very hard with our team to ensure that we provide a seamless experience for our guests. For future reference, our hotel offers basic amenities in the rooms, however, to keep the clutter to a minimum, we provide additional amenities, such as cooking utensils upon request. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

On arrival we asked if we could have a renovated room on a higher floor & on the quiet side of hotel. The lady was really helpful & said we were being upgraded to a suite. It is not large, but plenty big enough, comfy bed, good shower & a small Kitchenette with a fridge. We had breakfast here today, our second morning & were quite satisfied with value & quality,not being any dearer than the diner we went to our first morning. All the staff are obliging & pleasant. We enjoyed the wine served between 5 & 6. Would definitely come back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane C

Dear Diane637,

Thank you for your pleasant review. I’m delighted that you chose the Affinia Manhattan for your New York City trip and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Coming all the way from Cape Town for a event at the hotel, Genny Fady was the nicest and kindes person to help me with an early check in as well as putting me up , literally , in a very nice room at the 24 th floor. What a bliss after a long journey. The room was very nice and clean an I have been ask serval times if I was happy with the room.
I really enjoyed my stay there and also the people working at the event were very friendly and helpful .
I'll be back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear KDorothee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Affinia Manhattan story with all of us. We highly appreciate your lovely comments regarding our friendly and helpful front office team. We all are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and found the room very clean and comfortable. Whenever you decide to visit New York City again, we would love to be your go-to hotel in New York City.