Stewart Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$206
  • Fitness centre
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$223
US$203
Triumph Hotels
US$308
US$274
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$232
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$267
US$458
US$415
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$390
US$219
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$112
  • Breakfast included
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$170
  • Fitness centre
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$298
TripAdvisor
5,768 results
All reviewsaffinia manhattanpenn stationmadison square gardenniles restaurantnew yorkone bedroom suitetimes squarewine hourstreet noisean upgradecity that never sleepssofa bedempire state buildinglight sleepercentral locationupon checkfantastic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I realize that May In NYC is prime time but I was very disappointed with my room. Old is old but when old doesn't look clean that is a problem. My bathroom was the size of a very small closet. Who cares it is NYC and how much are you in the bathroom anyway. But all of my colleagues had kitchens in their rooms and because I booked a terrace room I guess they don't come with kitchens. I paid more for the terrace room which was a BIG letdown. The terrace was two steps up and out a door which would not shut all the way and therefore wouldn't lock. I also couldn't prop this door open. The Terrace was huge but when I got out there I could barely see over the brick wall. And huge didn't do me any good as there wasn't a chair or table out there to sit on/at nor was there anything in the room that I could have hauled out there to sit on. For nearly $400 a night I was not a happy camper. The service was very good however and that is why I am giving a rating of three instead of two. Also our breakfast in the Nile restaurant was awesome and while pricey was big enough that I had food for two days.

Room Tip: Definitely ask that you not be put by an elevator. Also given that only two elevators worked while I was there ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Lulupe2014,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I’m disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. I would however like to update you that as the warmer weather makes its way to us, we will be placing terrace furniture outside which will allow for beautiful evenings outdoors. Additionally, I would love to get your stay details so that I can review some of the room specifics with my team. I look forward to being in touch with you soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A typical New York Hotel, smallish room and bathroom but very clean with all the facilities you need for a stay in New York. You don't spend much time in your room anyway!!! The staff were helpful, pleasant and very efficient, the front door leads out onto 7th Avenue, Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. Only 10 minutes walk away is Times Square and all the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear leanne_rob_2011,

Thank you for a great review!
I’m delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and look forward welcoming you back very soon. Whenever your travels bring you back, don’t hesitate to check out the latest rate options on our website.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in this hotel with my wife (who is 20 weeks pregnant) and my daughter (who is 22 months). I found our experience was mixed.

The Good:
The hotel is well located right at Penn Station and Madisson Square Gardens. I like this position as it is not too far to uptown (times square and Central Park) to the north but also not too far to downtown (Greenwich village, Wall Street, Ferry to liberty island) to the South.

We had a one bedroom suite which was a good size (sitting room with kitchen area, bedroom and two bathrooms). Small criticism is that it wasn't particularly well designed, living area took up a lot of the space but bathrooms were very small.

It was very good value. We paid 1000 dollars for 5 nights (including all tax) in a 72 hour flash sale directly on hotel website. I couldn't find any other 4 star suites anywhere close to this price.

Free wine & cocktails from 5-6 each day. I only used this once at 5.45 and got a red wine. At this stage this was the only drink left. Fine for me as I wanted red wine but I think not great when you run out of white win. It was free so I don't think anyone could complain too much.

Air conditioning was good for controlling temperature (and worked quickly) but it was very loud. We had to turn it off as my wife struggled to sleep with it on.

We are twice in niles restaurant (once for breakfast and once for lunch). The food was good. The only downside was getting seated at breakfast almost took half an hour.

The bad:

We were on the 17th floor and it was incredibly noisy. Our friends who stay in New York (also stay on 17th floor in a nearby apartment) were over a number of times. They said that their apartment is also noisy but this hotel was far noisier.

It took a long time to get up and down in the lifts. There were 6 lifts but only a few appeared to be working. There were signs up apologising for this so the hotel understood this was an issue.

The check in:

The check in was terrible. I was sent an email a day or two before asking to check in online to save time. It was asked when I expected to arrive (I selected between noon and 3 pm). I knew the official check in time was 3 but I had hoped to get in earlier. I tried to check in at 2 but the room was not ready and I was asked to come back at 3. I returned at 3 and waited again until someone at reception was available. Unfortunately the room was still not ready and by this stage my overly tired daughter was getting quite upset. The helpful reception tried to find a different room for us but this took another 20 minutes or so. When we were allocated a room it was one without a bath, I said this was fine so I could get my daughter to bed. This may sound minor but it mucked up our regular bath routine which is a pain and one reason I booked a room originally with a bath.

What annoyed me about the check in was that asking me to check in beforehand was a total waste of time (and anyone who did this just waited like anyone else). I wouldn't normally annoyed by this but I did make it clear I was travelling with my young daughter and that my wife was pregnant. I don't find not being able to check in until after the check in time acceptable.

There were a number of people having difficulty getting checked in. The staff at reception were doing their best but often trying to give positive spin...."we're sorry we know it is past 3 but your room isn't ready but we are putting you in a nicer room" - I heard this a few times so I think it was mainly spin.

Overall our experience is mixed. If you get a cheap deal on this hotel then it may be worth booking but I would not recommending booking this if other comparable hotels are available for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AJC123X

Dear AJC123X,

Thank you for your review and the detailed feedback.
While overall it looks like you had a nice stay in New York City, there are a few areas for improvement that my team and I will review and ensure that going forward our product and service is top notch. Additionally, I invite you to contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger if you have further comments. I look forward to hearing back from you and in the future, welcoming you back to Affinia Manhattan.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in the Affinia Manhattan last week and had a great time. We have never been to NYC, but had always heard the same things, that you had to pay a lot of money to get a halfway decent hotel room and even then they were absolutely tiny. So we were very pleasantly surprised to have this proved wrong with the Affinia Manhattan, plus in such a great location. We booked a deluxe room and were really pleased with it, it was clean, modern, nicely decorated and looked exactly like it did on the website (which is always a relief). All the staff that we met were fantastic, from Will on reception, Maureen on the concierge desk, Dave at security and Tom from the porter’s team. We also had great help from the other Maureen (Mullaney) on the concierge desk. However, a very special mention has to go to Jenny on reception. She could not do more for us. We asked for advice about booking somewhere nice for dinner one of the nights as it was my birthday (and the reason for our visit), she went to lots of trouble to find and book a place for dinner for us, calling them up to make sure they looked after us, which they really did. When she heard it was my 40th birthday, she arranged for our room to be upgraded and although our original room was already perfect, she upgraded us to a suite on a higher floor, which was absolutely lovely. She couldn’t have been more helpful with any request we had. She was always warm, welcoming and friendly and always remembered us and what we had been doing for the day. She really is one of the stars of the Affinia Manhattan and it is nice to see other guests recognising her.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lucy K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your amazing review!
I’m thrilled to see that you had an exceptional time not just at Affinia Manhattan but also in New York City as you celebrated your birthday!
Additionally, thank you so much mentioning some of our team members! They are superb at what they do and love the interaction with our guests on a daily basis. We would love to be your home away from home – so anytime you plan a visit to NYC, please visit our website for some great offers and rates.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas 2013. The kind staff member upgraded our room when we casually mentioned it was our honeymoon! Fantastic location, really easy to get anywhere. Staff were helpful, the room was lovely and comfy, and bigger and quieter than we had expected (apart from the fire engines and car horns which you soon get used to!).
Only downsides were the lifts which were the slowest we have ever come across and badly need updating, and the restaurant attached to the hotel. We ate here on Christmas Day so maybe this was why, but the service was terrible and the food wasn't great. The restaurant was cold as well, we ended up getting most of the bill free.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear jk07_11,

Thank you for your review and choosing the Affinia Manhattan over the holidays in 2013.
It looks like you enjoyed a lovely stay with us and really liked your room and our fantastic location. I would like to update you at this time on our elevators: we have completed an upgrade on a few of our elevators and are in the process of updating a few more. The new elevators are faster, more efficient, bright and very sparkly. Whenever you decide to visit New York City, please visit our website for the latest offers and enjoy another stay with us.