“Good location , but...........” 4 of 5 bubbles

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good location , but...........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Four night break from the UK. We booked a Studio Double Room which should include kitchenette and living area with two large beds. Upon arrival we were allocated a 'Guest' room which was tiny in size with a very tired look to the furnishings. Initially our complaints to reception staff achieved little despite all our paperwork showing quite clearly the type of room we should have been allocated. Things improved when the Duty Manager appeared who was able to transfer us to a correct style of room for nights 2-4, so only one night in a cupboard !

Problem seems to lie with the travel company we booked with - Hayes and Jarvis - who use a third party agent in New York to reconcile bookings with rooms - we are still in discussion with HJ who seem determined to duck the issue.

The hotel is well situated opposite Madison Square Garden and the area is noisy all day and night.
Staff were friendly but facilities in the hotel limited. I guess most visitors just want a bed and little more whilst in New York, the rooms offered little encouragement to relax and enjoy the view.
A number of the elevators were out of use and when we arrived mid-afternoon, there appeared to be upwards of fifty people waiting for rooms to be cleaned.

This could be a great hotel in a great situation in a great City BUT it does need to try a little harder to achieve return visits

Room Tip: Go for a 'Studio Double' as absolute minimum quality
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tony B
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Tony B,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
While I'm very happy to see that things finally worked out nights 2-4, I'm sorry that there seemed to have been some confusion initially with the booking. The best way to ensure that you are getting the room type booked is to book your reservation directly on our hotel's website. This way any notes and/or requests we will be able to see on our end. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and should you have any additional questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Alex Spektor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The only issue i have with this hotel are the rooms and the lifts- rooms are old and bathroom tiny. The lifts can take a long time even though there are quite a few- perhaps some aren't working. Service great and provision of children's necessities was great. Midtown location suited us as a base so this was a good choice. Did not eat here so couldn't comment on the food

• Stayed June 2014
Dear kavi_ab,

Thank you so much for such a great review.
I do apologize if the elevators inconvenienced you while you stayed with us - recently they have undergone remodelling to make them faster and much more efficient. Next time when you visit, I do hope that you will enjoy the prompt service they offer.

Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

What this hotel has going for it is a great location. That's it. The lobby was a tip off that this was not going to be a quality boutique property. The modern decor was poor quality and there was limited seating area. It really doesn't deserve "boutique" status as it is a large hotel. When making my reservation, I made several upgrades to my room (location, pillows, etc.) and upon arrival, I was informed none of those upgrades had been noted. After checking the price with these upgrades, the hotel staff recognized that the request was made. We could not be accommodated the first night, but moved rooms the second. The bathroom was almost as tiny as the one we had in Paris--that is really small. The elevators were also problematic. They had a bank of twelve of which only three were running during the time of our stay. My husband had to walk down five flights on more than one occasion. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Always talk to the hotel directly before departing for your trip to confirm your booking and any ame...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan J
Dear Joan J,

Thank you for your review.
I'm quite disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations this time around. I would like to add that whenever reservations are booked via a third party website, any notes or requests might not interface upon arrival at the hotel. The best way to ensure that notes and requests come through on the hotel end is to book you reservation directly via our website. We do hope to welcome you back in the future when our elevators have undergone our current remodel which is almost complete. Thank you for staying with us.

San Juan Cosalá, Jalisco, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great staff make you feel at home in this pleasant hotel. The location at NY Penn station is tremendous. You can travel with easy by subway or trains. Plus you can walk to Times Sq, Chelsea even the West Village.
My suite was super and I loved having so much space. The wifi charge was a negative and the elevator renovations were a bummer. But the concierge, the front desk, the housekeeper made up for the trivial hassle of waiting for the elevator.
I had a senior moment and left my passport and other important things in the safe. Housekeeping called me and mailed the items to me. Shaka Saul was super nice. I will stay here again, and soon I hope.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Bruce J,

thank you for such a fantastic review!
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location in the heart of Chelsea, our friendly and extremely helpful staff and a very spacious suite. I look forward to sharing your kind words with Shaka, he'll love hearing your wonderful feedback. We are in the final stages of our elevator remodel project which will make them faster and much more efficient. Additionally, next time be sure to book your suite via our website in order to receive complimentary WiFi throughout the entire hotel. Thank you so much for choosing Affinia Manhattan this time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Slatington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I chose this hotel due to the proximity to MSG. We attended a concert and I was looking for a hotel where we could just walk and not have to get a cab. Well, since it is right across the street, it fit the bill. When we arrived, although the hotel was sold out, we were upgraded to a suite which was great. The price was very reasonable for NYC and we left very happy. Would stay there again in an instant! Also like that we didn't have to park ourselves, that the hotel took care of that. Our car came very quickly the day we left.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear djp603,

What a lovely review-thank you!
I'm thrilled to see that you enjoyed our central location and our friendly and helpful staff. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back at Affinia Manhattan.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

A comfortable hotel in a great position very close to Penn Station,Maddison Square Garden and Herald Square. There is no free wifi in the room only in the lobby.While I was there the lifts were apparently being upgraded which resulted in delays and overcrowding.I had a birthday during the 5 days I was there without any acknowledgement which is no big deal but it is interesting to compare to a hotel I stayed at in Kathmandu for 2 nights who much to my surprise delivered to my husband a beautiful chocolate birthday cake on his birthday. .Hotels should realise it is small things like that that customers remember.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Susan D,

Thank you for your review and feedback. I would also like to wish you belated Birthday! For any special occasions, we suggest that you contact the hotel directly so that we may note your reservation accordingly. I'm happy to report that we are in the final stages of our elevator remodel project making them much faster and more efficient. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked the affinia manhattan online and were so happy with our stay, in particular the staff and location. So many things are in walking distance, and a major subway station is over the road, under Madison square garden. The restaurant at the hotel was one of our favorite eating destinations it was very handy. Our favorite staff member was security officer Marlon Joseph, always helpful and we loved been greeted with a song from him. The hotel are very lucky to have Marlon on staff. We hope we can visit again, Sunny and Emma

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Emma M,

Thank you for such a lovely review! I cannot wait to share your kind words with our Security Officer, Mr. Marlon Joseph. Whenever you decide to visit again, please be sure to visit our website for some incredibly offers. Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.