“Absolutely fine hotel if you want location”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #191 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fine hotel if you want location”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I chose the hotel as it was right opposite Madison Square Garden where I was off to a concert on the Saturday night. It actually turned out to be quite a good location for seeing the rest of NYC. I've been to New York 5 times and stayed up and downtown and think location wise its not a bad call if you are going to a concert or expecting to head elsewhere given its right by Penn train station and on the 123 ABC lines.
Check-in was swift and easy, I had a room on the 3rd floor which was at the side of the building and pretty quiet. Queen bed was very comfy and the room was fine. And I think 'fine' says it all really. I'm not a snob so as long as its clean and in reasonable condition I'm happy. The main room was OK, the side room with desk and fridge was useful. The bathroom was just a bit tired and the bath had peeled a bit like they'd painted it at some time - see images. Still was very clean so just really the impression. TV was good and all HD channels tuned in properly!
I didn't drink in the bar as it seemed a bit less friendly for a solo traveller and more for couples to sit and drink so headed out most times.
Near by there is not a great choice of restaurants given you are in the train station area so its mainly pizza and other takeaway types.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear JeffB_UK,

Thank you so much for choosing Affinia Manhattan and giving us such a fine review! We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alex Spektor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,096)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
baltimore
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

If I was claustrophobic I would find this room unbearable and I'm only 5'2" 130lbs. Do not get room 1926 because it's right next to the service elevator which makes plenty of noise. The website pictures of their rooms is definitely not reflective of what they have. The a/c was about the same size as the window it was installed under. There is no where to place your luggage and it's pointless to place a chair in the room. There was an attempt to make the room contemporary but fixtures still dated & worn. There is no ventilation in the bathroom. I could hear our neighbors flushing the toilet and blow drying their hair.

I obtained this room via Priceline and it was rated as a 4-star hotel. I would not give this hotel more than two stars. Definitely was unhappy.

One more thing...please don't ask the front desk for dining recommendations. We asked for a place to have breakfast and they suggested tic tock diner 5 blocks away which was awful! I would suggest Fresh & Co located on the same block as the hotel!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmadr
Dear pmadr,

Thank you for your review.
I'm disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us this time. We offer a wide variety of guestrooms and suites, many of them larger than NYC apartments. I understand that you have stayed in one of our smallest room types. I would recommend trying another, more spacious room/suite type. For specific descriptions, please visit our website or contact our hotel directly. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed here many times now and as always I had a great stay. Jenny on reception is exceptional as usual and I was very pleased to see her upon check-in.
The location of the hotel is hard to beat and I booked and stayed in a deluxe suite with terrace. The rooms are spacious and meet our needs. My only criticism would be the very small bathrooms, but I would rather have the space in the main rooms and given space is always a premium in NYC, this is a minor point. I note a few comments about the lifts being slow but this is not normally the case and it is due to the fact that they are being updated.
I am looking forward to returning in Nov/Dec and have already booked my room at the Affinia Manhattan!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear xphilez,

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review! I look forward to sharing your feedback with Jenny - I know she loves to hear from our guests here on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

PROS
* Friendly staff
* Attractive building exterior
* Spacious and modern lobby area with good WIFI
* Convenient location (Across the street from Penn Station)

CONS
* Elevators are very slow (although this is currently being worked on)
* Bedroom was small. We faced Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. However, the window was A3 sized, so not a great view. No seating other than bed itself. Bed itself was narrower than other 4 star hotels I have stayed in. Furniture, bedding and decor in hotel room and bathroom seemed to be done at the cheapest cost, rather than with the consideration of customers in mind.
* No mirror above desk/dressing table.
* Safe was broken upon arrival. Took 2 hours before someone came to fix it and took a great deal of time to complete even then.
* Not enough hangers for 2 sharing a wardrobe. Approx 6-8 hangers in total.

Overall this hotel is fine. However, given the price paid for our stay, my boyfriend and I agreed we would rather pay more to stay at a hotel who's rooms matched the price... Or pay less and stay in a hotel with very similar rooms to the one we stayed in at the Affinia Manhattan. Nothing stand-out awful about the hotel; our reason for not recommending it to friends and family is simply that we did not find it to be good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Kate B,

thank you for your review.
I appreciate the time you took to share your view and feedback with us here on Tripadvisor. While it seems that overall you enjoyed your stay, it looks like you were disappointed with the size of the room. Next time please be sure to visit our website which provides very clear descriptions of our various guestrooms and suites. Additionally, we offer promotions and backages on our website which our guests have found to be quite beneficial and of great value. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope that you'll give us another try in the future.

Alex
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Four night break from the UK. We booked a Studio Double Room which should include kitchenette and living area with two large beds. Upon arrival we were allocated a 'Guest' room which was tiny in size with a very tired look to the furnishings. Initially our complaints to reception staff achieved little despite all our paperwork showing quite clearly the type of room we should have been allocated. Things improved when the Duty Manager appeared who was able to transfer us to a correct style of room for nights 2-4, so only one night in a cupboard !

Problem seems to lie with the travel company we booked with - Hayes and Jarvis - who use a third party agent in New York to reconcile bookings with rooms - we are still in discussion with HJ who seem determined to duck the issue.

The hotel is well situated opposite Madison Square Garden and the area is noisy all day and night.
Staff were friendly but facilities in the hotel limited. I guess most visitors just want a bed and little more whilst in New York, the rooms offered little encouragement to relax and enjoy the view.
A number of the elevators were out of use and when we arrived mid-afternoon, there appeared to be upwards of fifty people waiting for rooms to be cleaned.

This could be a great hotel in a great situation in a great City BUT it does need to try a little harder to achieve return visits

Room Tip: Go for a 'Studio Double' as absolute minimum quality
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony B
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Tony B,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
While I'm very happy to see that things finally worked out nights 2-4, I'm sorry that there seemed to have been some confusion initially with the booking. The best way to ensure that you are getting the room type booked is to book your reservation directly on our hotel's website. This way any notes and/or requests we will be able to see on our end. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and should you have any additional questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The only issue i have with this hotel are the rooms and the lifts- rooms are old and bathroom tiny. The lifts can take a long time even though there are quite a few- perhaps some aren't working. Service great and provision of children's necessities was great. Midtown location suited us as a base so this was a good choice. Did not eat here so couldn't comment on the food

• Stayed June 2014
Dear kavi_ab,

Thank you so much for such a great review.
I do apologize if the elevators inconvenienced you while you stayed with us - recently they have undergone remodelling to make them faster and much more efficient. Next time when you visit, I do hope that you will enjoy the prompt service they offer.

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

What this hotel has going for it is a great location. That's it. The lobby was a tip off that this was not going to be a quality boutique property. The modern decor was poor quality and there was limited seating area. It really doesn't deserve "boutique" status as it is a large hotel. When making my reservation, I made several upgrades to my room (location, pillows, etc.) and upon arrival, I was informed none of those upgrades had been noted. After checking the price with these upgrades, the hotel staff recognized that the request was made. We could not be accommodated the first night, but moved rooms the second. The bathroom was almost as tiny as the one we had in Paris--that is really small. The elevators were also problematic. They had a bank of twelve of which only three were running during the time of our stay. My husband had to walk down five flights on more than one occasion. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Always talk to the hotel directly before departing for your trip to confirm your booking and any ame...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan J
Dear Joan J,

Thank you for your review.
I'm quite disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations this time around. I would like to add that whenever reservations are booked via a third party website, any notes or requests might not interface upon arrival at the hotel. The best way to ensure that notes and requests come through on the hotel end is to book you reservation directly via our website. We do hope to welcome you back in the future when our elevators have undergone our current remodel which is almost complete. Thank you for staying with us.