I chose the hotel as it was right opposite Madison Square Garden where I was off to a concert on the Saturday night. It actually turned out to be quite a good location for seeing the rest of NYC. I've been to New York 5 times and stayed up and downtown and think location wise its not a bad call if you are going to a concert or expecting to head elsewhere given its right by Penn train station and on the 123 ABC lines.
Check-in was swift and easy, I had a room on the 3rd floor which was at the side of the building and pretty quiet. Queen bed was very comfy and the room was fine. And I think 'fine' says it all really. I'm not a snob so as long as its clean and in reasonable condition I'm happy. The main room was OK, the side room with desk and fridge was useful. The bathroom was just a bit tired and the bath had peeled a bit like they'd painted it at some time - see images. Still was very clean so just really the impression. TV was good and all HD channels tuned in properly!
I didn't drink in the bar as it seemed a bit less friendly for a solo traveller and more for couples to sit and drink so headed out most times.
Near by there is not a great choice of restaurants given you are in the train station area so its mainly pizza and other takeaway types.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An upscale hotel with an airy, elegant lobby in Midtown (near the border with Chelsea), this property is less than a block from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. The lavish guest rooms have flat-screen TVs, iPod docking stations and WiFi (surcharge). Studios add a kitchenette, while the 1- and 2-bedroom suites add full kitchens and separate living areas. Some suites feature an additional bathroom and/or terrace. Shared amenities include an on-site fitness center, self-service laundry and a contemporary American restaurant. There is a complimentary wine hour for guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Stewart Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Manhattan Hotel New York City
- Affinia Manhattan New York City
- Affinia Manhatten
- Southgate Tower New York