“When you book, be sure to ask for a larger room”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #210 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our room was fine. We had two double beds and a decent sized bathroom. Yes the room was a little small ... welcome to NYC.

1. Ask for a room with a large(r) bathroom
2. We were in room 1115. It's probably a good idea to stay on the higher floors because of road noise. Other than sirens, we didn't hear much noise.
3. The room was very clean.
4. We were close to the High Line. If you are a jogger, it's a great place to go for an early morning run.
5. There's a good breakfast place next door "Fresh (something)

My only complaint: I was on the hunt for a greasy, drippy old-style NY pizza. Could not find it! No, Rays is not going to cut it.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1115 ... again, decent sized bathroom with two double beds. Room is a little small, but...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KTAdvisorNow
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear KTAdvisorNow,

Thank you for your review.
It looks like overall you had a great time in NYC and at our hotel especially appreciating our central location and the immaculately clean room. Whenever your travels bring you back to NYC, please contact our hotel directly a few days prior to your arrival and let us know what you are interested in doing. I would love to have our team prepare hand-selected venues so that you can truly get the sense of what New York is about, including a list of authentic New York style pizzerias with some finger-licking good pizza options. Thank you for staying with us this time.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had we not booked just one night, would have moved elsewhere. We chose this hotel due to it's close proximity to Penn Station...and for that it was very convenient. Our room was tiny and I mean tiny...it was crowded with the two of us. Even the bellboy said "did you mean to book such a small room". The room was next to the service lift, it felt grubby and there was nowhere to put our luggage. The air con unit was noisy. The bathroom door would not close and there were hairs in the sink. The bed was comfortable but small. As stated by other reviewers the lifts are frustratingly slow. There is no free wifi in the rooms only the lobby which is a crowded noisy are. Checkout was slow as there was only one person on the desk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anneTasmania
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear anneTasmania,

thank you for your review.
I'm very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay this time around. It looks like you have booked one our smallest room types which have a very cozy feel to them. For more a more spacious feel, I would suggest one of our suites which tend to be larger than most NYC apartments. We do offer complimentary WiFi to all reservations booked directly via our website. I appreciate your feedback and will be reviewing it with our team.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Had stayed there for 3 nights, chosen the hotel for it's location and ability to utilize our 'Stash Rewards' points.

Location:
The location was superb, diagonally opposite of Madison Square Garden (MSG). If you're a sports fanatic; MSG is the Home ground of New York Knicks (basketball) & New York Rangers (ice-hockey) - you'll definitely love the short 3 mins walk over to the stadium.

Lobby/Rooms:
We stayed at the One-Bedroom Suite for 3 nights. Had a pretty decent stay, expensive compared to my usual spent on hotel stay, but for the price we paid and the size of the room we get, pretty worthwhile at the end of the day, considering this is NYC!

The suite was exceptional huge and spacious. The main drawback was that the toilet was extremely 'tiny' and a bit dirty; toilet bowl looks yellowish and old. Beds was comfy, air-con was strong and there's a mini kitchen.

Lobby looks modern and nice looking, packed with people, very different from their rooms' corridor which looks pretty worn down.

Check Out:
Last but not least, had a very unpleasant experience pertaining to our checkout/payment. I had paid the entire sum of our hotel via cash but they failed to release the funds (under my wife's card) which was locked/blocked out when we first reserved the rooms. It was only after constant follow ups then the payment was released approximately a week later.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JLim83

Dear JLim83,

thank you so much for such a great review!
You are absolutely right about the superb location - for anyone attending any events at MSG, you simply cannot beat being immediately across the street. I do appreciate your feedback and comments as we review improvements to be made. Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I'm not one to write negative reviews. But for the price of this hotel, the way it is advertised and the multitude of service emails you get before arriving, I expected much much more. We have three nights here, and I am seriously considering sucking up the financial loss and booking somewhere else. First of all, our room wasn't ready when we first arrived, even though I had pre-checked in and stated our arrival time. No big deal, we were told it would be about 30 minutes so we walked around. We came back after about 35-40 minutes to be told the room still wasn't ready and we'd need another hour +. They offered us a free soda for our troubles, which we did not take. We left and came back 90 minutes later and finally the room was ready. The room itself is fine - it's old though and there are no thoughtful upgrades like power outlets anywhere near the beds. Our room was without a hotel book or room service menu so we called and asked for one. After waiting 45 minutes we were finally told they had no room service menus anywhere in the hotel. Another hotel clerk brought us up a channel guide, which was supposed to be the hotel book we had asked about. My husband went down to the front desk (a 20 minute trek due to the incredibly slow elevators) and was able to track down a menu. Why the room service staff couldn't do this, I'll never know.

I've stayed in much better places all around Manhattan - there are plenty of hotels for less money with far better service. I thought the rooms here would be more accommodating to my family because they advertise suites, but I would rather spent the $$ for more expensive rooms elsewhere than deal with this incompetence and sub par experience. Oh, and wifi is $15 a day per device. Unheard of rates in this day in age. Still debating whether to stick it out - one thing is certain, I can't wait to leave.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nataluscious
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Nataluscious,

Thank you so much for your review and feedback.
I'm terribly sorry that you've encountered challenges with your initial experience at our hotel. Our team is committed to making sure our guests are taken care of and looked after from the moment they step into the building until our last goodbye's. I'm following up with our team to review what we've missed and where we can improve. Additionally, I understand that our management team on property is reaching out to you to ensure that the remainder of your stay with us is comfortable and exceeds your expectations. We will be speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very central location opposite the Penn station, very close to Macy's and Times Sq. It is a very busy tourist hotel, many groups coming and going all the time. The lifts are a nightmare, you wait for ages for a lift and it comes completely full or if you get into one it stops every at every floor. I was given a room on the top floor which is serve by only two of the six lifts so the 'journey' times are even longer. Very peculiar rooms I guess they tried to give them a loft feel, but it is simply lots of empty nooks and crannies. Massive room but a tiny bathroom.
Even on the 28th floor the noise levels from the street is terrible especially I was unable to close of the windows completely. Old fashioned air conditioning unit does not help either.
I don't think I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Dex D,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
Our location, opposite Madison Square Garden and Penn Station just a few steps away from Herald Square, is in the heart of New York City. Our guests enjoy the close proximity to everything NYC has to offer, including the Macy's flagship location on 34th Street. We offer a variety of guestrooms and suites of varying sizes, some even feature two bathrooms in the suite. We are committed to improving our product to provide our guests with the most efficient service and at this time we are in the completion stage of updating our elevators. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you at this time. While we are in a very central location, we do have sister properties which might better suit your taste. Should you need specific information, please don't hesitate to visit our website. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in hotel from 20 to 23 June. Super location in the heart of things. Near maceys. Helpful friendly staff. If I was being picky the hotel rooms could do with a lick of paint and furniture basic quality. Carpet worn in corridor. However did the job and would probably stay again. Just be aware of wi fi charges and check out before

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Clare C,

Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan and providing us with your feedback. Next time please be sure to book your reservation on our website which ensures that you get complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel.

Alex

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I chose the hotel as it was right opposite Madison Square Garden where I was off to a concert on the Saturday night. It actually turned out to be quite a good location for seeing the rest of NYC. I've been to New York 5 times and stayed up and downtown and think location wise its not a bad call if you are going to a concert or expecting to head elsewhere given its right by Penn train station and on the 123 ABC lines.
Check-in was swift and easy, I had a room on the 3rd floor which was at the side of the building and pretty quiet. Queen bed was very comfy and the room was fine. And I think 'fine' says it all really. I'm not a snob so as long as its clean and in reasonable condition I'm happy. The main room was OK, the side room with desk and fridge was useful. The bathroom was just a bit tired and the bath had peeled a bit like they'd painted it at some time - see images. Still was very clean so just really the impression. TV was good and all HD channels tuned in properly!
I didn't drink in the bar as it seemed a bit less friendly for a solo traveller and more for couples to sit and drink so headed out most times.
Near by there is not a great choice of restaurants given you are in the train station area so its mainly pizza and other takeaway types.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear JeffB_UK,

Thank you so much for choosing Affinia Manhattan and giving us such a fine review! We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.