“Ok stay but request free internet”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #200 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woolgoolga, Australia
“Ok stay but request free internet”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I booked two rooms , one for my daughter & friend & one for myself & my wife.
The rooms are not big or gracious but comfortable & close to everything. Ensure you ask for free internet or they will charge you. You will still have to log in with room number but confirm at reception when you arrive & night before you leave. Took us 7 hrs to get 2nd room ready, staff ok

Stayed July 2014
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Mb81262,

thank you for your review.
I'm very pleased to see just how much you have enjoyed our central location and our very comfy rooms with the plush Signature Affinia beds.
It seems there might have been some confusion regarding the internet so I'll take this opportunity to clarify: we are very happy to offer complimentary internet for all reservations booked directly via our website, otherwise we do charge $14.95 per 24-hours for Wifi in guestrooms. We continue to provide complimentary internet in our spacious lobby for all guests. Should you have any additional questions, we will be happy to answer. Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alex Spektor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Edison, NJ
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at the Affinia for an overnight trip into Manhatten. The location is great, right across the street from NY Penn and close to subways stops, etc.. The staff were very helpful during the check in and check out process. The lobby has been redecorated, but certainly is starting to show wear. The rooms, however, are another story, like the story about putting lipstick on a pig. The rooms are definitely showing wear; the in-window AC units were installed haphazardly and without proper insulation, allowing exhaust from the busy street below to come into the room; and the doors! The doors slammed so loud and hard, your room would shake from it. Given a choice, I would only stay at this hotel if I needed to be in close proximity to the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank digger13
Dear digger13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.
It looks like you had a fantastic time in this part of NYC and found it close to all the attractions that make NYC the greatest City in the world!
I do appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvement and I'll be sharing it with the appropriate departments to ensure that our guests have only the most positive experience at our hotel. Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvience you may have experienced while with us. We highly appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights with a friend on a girls holiday. the staff are so welcoming and relaxed it makes turning up after a long journey a real pleasure. As we arrived we were told our room wasn't quite ready but were quickly offered an alternative in order to prevent a wait. The room we were allocated was immaculately clean and fresh. I had upgraded to a suite so as to give us some extra space and we weren't disappointed. As New York hotel rooms go it was generously proportioned and it gave us plenty of room to rattle around in! The kitchen was so handy especially in the hot weather as we could store cold drinks and snacks for when we got home and were able to wake up to a nice proper cup of tea instead of something out of a machine!
I will definitely be staying here in future and have already recommended it to lots of friends.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, it's inexpensive and will make your stay all the more comfortable!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Helen B,

thank you so very much for such a lovely review!
I'm thrilled to read about your experience - especially because we'll get the pleasure of welcoming your friends soon due to your kind recommendation. Please know that we highly appreciate our guests kinds words and feedback and most certinaly look forward to welcoming you back!

Kilcullen, Ireland
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the affinia for 5 nights recently with my girlfriend primarily based on recommendations I had been given about the hotel but I was really disappointed and would not return. Firstly, we were given what I would imagine was the smallest room in the hotel (a boutique room) we had 4 cases with us and there was literally nowhere to put them. I contacted reception and asked if a bigger room was available as we were staying for 5 nights. I was told I would have to pay $125 for an upgrade. When I didn't agree, they hung up. They called a few mins later to tell me a room was available and the hotel would give it to us as a courtesy. When I checked my booking printout it turned out we had paid for a bigger room already! In both cases the room was drab, badly in need of refurbishment and the hotel provided very little. It was difficult to sleep with outside noise also. Secondly, do NOT book broadway tickets through the hotel. We were told that ticket prices for aladdin never drop below $209 by the concierge (more than double face value) and were told if we wanted the tickets we had to decide now or we'd lose the tickets. We didn't want to risk it but I just checked prices online (less than a week after the show) and tickets are available for the row we had For FAR less than we paid. There is no complimentary wifi in the hotel which is also a joke. I would STRONGLY advise against staying here. I've stayed in the fitzpatricks and Radisson in the past and would recommend these hotels far before the affinia manhatten.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank POC-CW
Dear POC-CW,

Thank you for your review and choosing our hotel.
I'm quite disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations this time around and would like some more information to personally take a look at your reservation and see what transpired. Please contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger so that I maybe obtain some specific information. When it comes to booking any tickets, our concierge will do their best to obtain tickets for a specific date and sometimes the prices might be higher and sometimes lower. Just like any shopper, it's always great to do comparison shopping prior to booking anything in order to understand the price range. And we are very happy to provide complimentary internet to all guests who book their reservations directly on our website; and complimentary Wifi is offered in our lobby for all guests. I hope that I was able to clarify should there have been any confusion and Iook forward to hearing from you in order to review your reservation in detail.

Cheverly, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

While my first stay was less than stellar, the follow-up stay was absolutely perfect. The location - directly across the street from Penn Station - makes it extremely easy if you are coming by train. The rooms are lovely and very comfortable with a list of special amenities that can be reserved for free or at a modest cost. While I only had breakfast in the restaurant, the buffet is fabulous and well worth the price. No place is perfect but the Affinia is improving and is now my top hotel for business trips to NY.

Room Tip: Like all New York hotels, the lower the floor for the room, the noisier the room will be.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Jo D,

thank you so kindly for your wonderful review.
I'm extremely happy to see tha we have such a loyal guest in you and highly appreciate your business. And you mention a great point - our location is superb for anyone utilizing the public transportation options at Penn Station since you just have to walk across the street. For someone who is in NYC every day and drives through rush hour traffic, this simply cannot be beat. Once again, thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor, and I look forward to welcoming you back in a few months.

Danville, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I just stayed at the Affinia Manhattan for the nineteenth time. We have been staying there since 1996. The hotel is located in an ideal part of town and is always clean and hospitable. The reason we continue to stay is because of the staff. Carl and Margaret are always so helpful and have a huge smile for us every time we see them. Jenny has been on vacation the past two years but was here this year. What a joy to see her again. Our housekeeper for the past several years has been Agata. We have stayed in room 2118 for the past 8 or 9 years and she has always taken very good care of us. Coming to the Afinia is like going to our second home. Carl, Margaret, Jenny and Agata are family! We will be back in December for 3 days and look forward to seeing our family once again. If you are looking for an upscale, clean and friendly hotel, look no farther that the Affinia.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank corny74
Hello corny74,

Wow! This is such an exceptional review - 19 years!!! And hopefully counting...
Thank you so much for your loyalty, business and such kind feedback which I cannot share with all the team members mentioned. They will love it!
Let's make that 20 years...see you next year!

Alex
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked this hotel on Friday 7/11/2014 and I checked in on Sat. 7/12 - 7/14 My front desk experience during check was a mess. The young man who checked me in swiped my credit several times for various amounts, Then he had the nerve to wonder why he could finalize the check in and issue the key. It was a prepaid card so every time he swiped it took the cash off. So i had to spend 35 minutes on the phone with the credit card company explaining what happened . They had to issue a manual approval so that I could check in. My funds would be returned to my account within 24-48 hrs. Then when I got to the room it was old and totally outdated. I guess this room was NOT on the renovation list..! All of the cable channels were frozen because there was no signal ..! I turned on the air conditioner and the fuse blew...Yes the fuse...! Then on Monday at 7:15 I get a call from the front desk telling me that the Hotel is sold out and my rate is $399 for Monday night....! I said WHAT my rate is $209 for this night...They said NO and I had to come down stairs. I did and I refused to pay this RIDICULOUS RATE..! So my daughter and I are sitting in the lobby looking for a new hotel via the internet..! I AM SO PISSED OFF..! NEEDLESS to say the hallway on the 4th floor smelled of WEED...! Very strong weed, I got buzzed just waiting for the elevator to come...!

Room Tip: stay off the 4th floor room 429
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank xmeyers
Dear xmeyers,

Thank you for your review.
I have personally reviewed your reservation and the notes regarding your inquiry to extend your stay and the rates you were provided. Unfortunately, I do not see multipe authorization on the credit card that you provided - only two that were approved. Our team reached out to you several times offering you very flexible rates, none exceeding $349 on an extremely busy night. I also understand that our overnight manger spoke with you in person in the lobby and offered to accommodate you at a very reasonable rate, but you declined. I'm terribly disappointed to read these details here especially since we offered numerous times to assist, accommodate and ensure you are comfortable. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger should I be able to assist you further. Thank you for choosing our hotel.