“Excellent location and staff”
Review of Stewart Hotel

Stewart Hotel
Ranked #191 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Excellent location and staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have traveled to NYC many times but this was our first by train. Arrived at Penn Station and walked out to see the Affinia one block away, great location. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. Upgraded our room to suite and were pleasantly surprised to have such a large living room and kitchen area. We will stay here again on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob W
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Bob W,

thank you so much for such a wonderful review! Our front office team will enjoy hearing such positive feedback Very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and most certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alex Spektor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here earlier this year and absolutely loved it. The location is perfect as it was walkable to times square and you got a real feel of New York from the location. The rooms were big, spacious and clean and the beds where surprisingly comfortable and my partner and I got plenty of sleep here. There was a little kitchen just by the entrance to our room and a very spacious living area with a tv, desk, chair and sofa. There was also two bathrooms- one large one just as you walk in with a shower/bath and everything else you expect in a bathroom and one joined to the bedroom with the same. The bedroom had two large double beds which were plenty big enough and soft and a walk in cupboard with a safe, wardrobe and drawers inside. It was a very big hotel with plenty of floors and rooms but I never heard any other guests making a lot of noise. Oh and if you walked to the crossing by the hotel you could see the Empire State Building, such a perfect location! The staff are also very friendly and helpful and the rooms were cleaned everyday and they remade the beds haha.

I would recommend this hotel to businessmen/women, couples or solo. It was a lovely hotel and I can't wait to visit it again sometime!:)

Room Tip: Any room would be fine, they're all equally as nice!:)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laura x
ASpektor, General Manager at Stewart Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear laura x,

thank you for your glowing review reflective of your recent stay at Affinia Manhattan.
Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed our very central location especially that you can see the Empire State Building right from across the hotel.

Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

West Sussex
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the last hotel for us to stay in on our recent trip to America having stayed in Anaheim, Las Vegas and then New York.

First let me start by saying the good things, staff at excellent and can not do enough for you, location is also great again as is the reception area and bar and restaurant, the hotel is old and has nice features.

No the bad parts and unforatnantly these out way the good parts, we asked for a low floor as my wife can not do heights, our booking said low floor, the hotel system said low floor but for some reason we got floor 25 out of 28 floors, we had to spend the night on this floor as they could not move us till the morning. now the room on floor 25 had issues, we were not able to close the window now anyone who has been to New York knows how noisy New York is so we called reception who sent up a maintance man who could not close the window, he then got out a large screwdriver and forced the window shut, now what happens if I want 5 minutes of fresh air I will have to call and ask for the screwdriver, we hired a one bedroom suite and the bed in the main bedroom was only 4 foot wide, booking said king or queen size bed, still it was only one night, when we went to bed I could not understand why there was so much noise, what they had done is take out a window and retro fit an air conditioning unit into the wind cut out and then trim around the gap with wood, only thing is they did not use and form of sealant to seal around the unit or the wood to the frame so not only was noise coming in but a draft, lucky it was summer as I am sure the draft in winter will make the rooms cold, this seems to be the same on all the old hotels, only newer modern hotels have not air conditioning units hanging out of a window.

Next day I am told to re-pack our suitcases and our room would be ready after three and all our suitcases would be moved.

Having been out for the day and returning back we found our room had just become free and the suitcases had not been moved, not a problem we would go and collect them.

We moved to room 316 on floor 3, great a low floor room my wife would be happy.

We open the door to room 316 to find the front room area which is used as the put up bed area is bigger then before, we now have a queen size bed which is what we booked, so all looked good from there, kitchen was great, then we went into the bedroom to find what we thought was the air conditioning unit being on but it was not, what we could hear was due to the same issues as the room on the 25th floor where it appears no one has heard of window sealant that the air conditioning unit from the restaurant was 10 feet away and all you could hear in the bedroom is the constant hum of this unit, the one in the front room could be turned off but like room 25 we could not shut the window, the whole hotel has what can be described as old windows that in the winter must make every room in the hotel cold as they do not shut or seal correctly.

Now we could not move anywhere else as the only room low down that was free was room 316 so we had to put up with the noise

Went into the bathroom which was in a poor state of repair, bath had been painted before but over time it had chipped away and looked like it needed replacing, broken wall tiles, ceiling that's got what looks like air bubbles inside and a knocking noise from behind the wall.

The only way we could even get any sleep in our room was to pack around the windows with towels to drown out the noise, I accept being in New York your get horns from cars and emergency departments but never did I imagine to have windows that do not close or seal and air conditioning units hanging out of windows that have not been sealed.

I would like to say this issue was just room 316 but we had the same issues apart from the restaurant air conditioning unit on floor 25 so either we were very unlucky or like I suspect that hotel need a face lift.

New windows, new Air Conditioning units correctly fitted and sealed, new bathrooms, some paint here and there and a general update and this old building would have what I call a hotel that any traveler would be happy to stay in and recommend to people in the future, as it is, stay clear unless you like noise, drafts and room issues.

Could be a real gem if they get the cheque book out soon.

Room Tip: avoid any rooms around 316, 416, 516 and 616 as they all are too close to the restaurant air conditi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JKFAMILY4
Dear JKFAMILY4,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I'm terribly sorry, for what looks like, some miscommunication to have occurred and that you experienced some glitches while staying with us. This should not have happened in the first place and I am reviewing your comments with our team in depth. Once again, I'm terribly sorry to see that your stay with us was anything but seamless and am committed to providing exemplary service in a product that our guests will thoroughly enjoy.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to ensure that you''ll have a perfect stay with us.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've traveled a bunch since my consulting business has me bouncing from city to city. There's only place that I could honestly always depend on to provide me with the best amenities, service and comfortable and clean rooms, time after time, the Affinia Manhattan.

The rooms are big, modern and very cozy. They remind me of the apartment I should've had when I was younger. I never feel like I'm staying at a hotel when I stay at the Affinia. I also couldn't notice how friendly the staff is. Everybody at the Affinia is helpful and courteous, everyone from the doormen, bellboys, maintenance and yes, especially the front desk.

During my business travels I've asked many a favors and last minute requests from the front desks and they always come through. Jessica, for example is one of the nicer and accommodating professionals I've ever met. She extends way beyond the call of duty to provide myself and my family (when I get to travel with them) everything that guarantees our stay to go as smooth and stress free as possible.

I definitely recommend the Affinia Manhattan to anyone that is considering visiting Manhattan. It is a must to ensure a great vacation or work stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jorge G
Dear Jorge G,

Wow! I'm truly impressed with your radiant review of Affinia Manhattan. You describe our hotel spot on and I look forward to sharing your feedback with Jessica - I know she'll be thrilled to see what a difference she has made in your travels.
Thank you for recomming our hotel and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Customer service was above and beyond...
From check in to check out.
Starting with Jonathan at checkin. He was amazing and accommodating. Set the tone for our stay...
Looking forward to our next visit to NY and staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 999CarlosP23
Dear 999CarlosP23,

Thank you for such a great review!
I cannot wait to share this with Jonathan who has been a great asset to our team. I, too, look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you are under 5ft 5" do not stay at the Affinia. We were given a room on the 7th floor, there was one small window, should have been larger but the bottom half had an air conditioning unit fitted into it, as a consequence all I could see was a little bit of sky. It was like going into a cave. We paid a lot of money for the room but it did not live up to the standard I had expected. The whole of the 7th floor needed renovating. Everything was tired. We were staying for 3 nights but after 1 night we asked to be moved. We were upgraded to a small suite with several windows so it was bright but even then all was not well as the air conditioning stopped working after 1 night.

Room Tip: If you are in a basic room ask for a room on a corner as you get an additional window. Ask for a roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paula G,

I appreciate your review and feedback. I'm quite disappointed to see that we did not live up to your expectations this time around. While some of our guestrooms are on the cozier side, we do offer a wide variety of suites that rival the size of most NYC apartments. Next time, I encourage you to visit our website where you can take a look at the layout and descriptions of all our room types. And please remember that our team is available 24-7 should you require any assistance at all.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stay at the Affinia Manhattan at least 4 times a year and each stay is the same: courteous service, beautiful spaces and convenient location.

I've stayed in a variety of rooms and prefer the Large King Suite. I'm a business owner who occassionally travels to meet new clients. The Affinia Manhattan is my chic Manhattan 'go-to' when convenience and comfort are on call.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bcmaze
Dear bcmaze,

thank you, thank you so much for such a glowing review! We truly appreciate your business and loyalty and look forward to seeing you again.