“Older Hotel in Koreatown”
Review of Hotel Stanford

Hotel Stanford
Ranked #308 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights in late May because the Stanford is within walking distance of Penn Station. We arrived early and checked in, but the room wasn't ready yet. The front desk people were pleasant and got us into our room as soon as they could. This is an older hotel. Our room was nice enough - the windows faced a brick wall - clean and comfortable. Mattress was very firm with smallish pillows. Our room was located near the second floor lounge which had coffee for hotel guests during specific hours. Continental breakfast - bagels and pastries, fruit, etc. Took advantage of the location to eat in a nearby Korean restaurant. For tourists, hotel is near subway stations, Fifth Avenue, Herald Square, and the Empire State Building. Times Square is nearby. Would recommend to friends on a budget looking for a basic hotel. There was a small refrigerator in our room - no ice machine on the floor but someone brought me some when I requested it.

1  Thank TXTripper
There are newer reviews for Hotel Stanford

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Our family of 4 spent 4 nights in Hotel Stanford last week. We had the queen suite - two beds and a living room area. This worked really well for us. The room and bathroom was quite spacious for New York. The bathroom was great - large shower and good exhaust fan. I have no complaints about the room. The locations was great too. Just around the corner from Macy's and two blocks from Empire State Building.

The one big negative was the breakfast. It was all muffins, pastries, bagels and it was all rather hard and dry. They also had apples, but some cereal and banana would have been really nice after 4 mornings of stale stuff.

Oh and just a little tip - when it comes time to leave, don't let the door man get a taxi for you. Get it yourself because the taxi driver will charge you a flat rate instead of running the meter and then the driver gives the door man money for using his cab. We tipped the door man for getting us a cab then I watched the cab driver tip him again and the driver charged us more money than we paid when we got out own cab at the airport. Now we know...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed for one night on our travels. The staff were pleasant but the hotel really needs some work. It was a lovely old hotel and a bit of TLC would be great. Having said that our room was clean and tidy. The free breakfast was really cheap. It was advertised as a continental breakfast but there was no cereal and no bread, just bagels and pastries. We wanted to take a couple of muffins back to our room but the people at breakfast weren't too happy about that and said that there was no eating in the rooms. We think it was an excuse to keep costs low.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in early May for a business trip. The location, as others have said, is great. Right by Herald Sq and Penn Station. The rooms are small, but the beds are comfy; clean linens and towels. The bathrooms could use updating but no major complaints. The breakfast left something to be desired; carbs carbs and carbs. Overall, for the price and location, this is a good place to crash when you are seeing the sights in NYC on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Linds B
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Be Aware!!!! Our stay at this hotel (Korean run hotel which is nothing close to its name "Stanford") was nothing close to pleasant. Here is the list of items that we found it too far from the reviews posted on tripadvisor (something didn't add up).

1. Hotel is so old that the shower rods are rusted so badly and you can see them easily. Doors don't close properly and the hotel room's door seems open all night as light was coming in from the large gaps.
2. Water pressure was really poor in the shower.
3. The A/C wasn't able to cool down the room no matter how low we brought down the thermostat (not a good night sleep).
4. Our card was charged $30 dollars at the check in(as the front desk claimed that was a common practice to the hotel) for incidental charges. They said they would put the money back on our card later. We had never experienced that in any hotel. We understand any incidental charges can be charged at the check out on the card on the file. This only made the hotel owner capable of bringing money to his/her account that wasn't his/hers for the duration of our stay. We didn't have any incidental charges. We were not happy that we had to be charged for something that wasn't necessary.
5. The fan in the bathroom didn't work. The steam/moisture from the shower made the bathroom and the room quite stuffy. The amount of dust/dirt stuck to the fan in the bathroom showed how badly the hotel had been maintained in cleaning and quality assurance.
6. The lobby was too small and the continental breakfast was very poorly arranged. Not enough healthy choices of food was on the table. We decided to eat breakfast somewhere else.
7. The bathroom in the lobby was locked at all times with no sign that guests needed to ask for keys to the bathroom. It was a misleading way of making guests wait to get into the bathroom. Bathrooms were not maintained well. They were dirty and no paper towel to dry hands. The dryer machine wasn't working either.

8. Staff wasn't helpful in explaining the charge processes or other matters. Staff was a bit hard to understand as well as you are in the Korean part of the town.

All together, we DO NOT suggest staying at this hotel. We paid $240 for one night and this was more like a motel with a really poor choice for the money spent. Ultimately, we preferred to spend $60 or a bit more to have a much cleaner and better hotel room that we could sleep and not wake up from being so hot or at least being able to use the bathroom in the lobby without the harassment of the front desk or other guests.

Both of us were very disappointed by trusting the ratings that we read on tripadvisor. We wondered how this hotel got 4 star since it was so old and poorly maintained.

4  Thank Adventurer1972
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Bottom line: I traded away amenities for the great location and very good price at Hotel Stanford.

I consider myself an experienced solo traveler who travels light and has only basic needs in a hotel. So Hotel Stanford worked out well for me. I stayed there one week in late Apr12 while I wandered around as much of NYC as I could squeeze in the time I had. First the good news: I found the location to be ideal. If you look at a map of midtown Manhattan you will see that the hotel is located basically at Herald Square just off Broadway. It is on 32nd Street between two subway stations - one for the N, Q and R routes and the other for the 4,5 and 6 routes. In about 3 blocks you are at Penn Station (where I caught the Amtrak to my next destination) and in about 15 minutes of walking you are in Times Square. Grand Central Station is about a 20 minute walk. That's about as good as it gets in the public transit access department. As for price - my single room cost me about $210/night. So you be the judge there.

Now to describe what I gave up in return for location and price: First off the hotel is an old building, narrow but tall (12 floors max if I remember correctly). My room was small, on the 7th floor and my one window faced the wall of the next building. The TV was an old RCA out of the 70's and did not get any TV stations - which they fixed the next day. And even then, there was only a very limited number of cable stations available. The dresser had 3 drawers one of which was missing (see photo attached). I did not bother them with that one since my stuff fit comfortably in the 2 drawers I had. Small closet with about 6 hangers, ironing board and iron. The bed was good not great. The bathroom was good sized; the water pressure and hot water temp was unbelievable, and there was only one very small shelf to put toiletries on. Towels were quite thin but did the job and I had to ask twice to get a wash cloth. The heating/cooling went sort of nuts while i was there and the front desk recommended that I permit them to simply turn it off - which I agreed to and which worked. I bet the heating/cooling system is about as old as the hotel. FYI: the heating/cooling control mounted on the wall - which looks like a typical thermostat - only controls the fan and nothing else ! As you can tell from my story - you have no control over the temperature in your individual room.

The breakfast which is included in the price of the room consists of either bagels or rolls and juice. For me it was worthless. So every day I went to the Cafe Martinque at the next door Radisson for a good more substantial breakfast. They had an all-you-can-eat buffet or ala carte off the menu. The "free" wi-fi is available in the lobby only and is a joke. My speed test app came in at a download speed of less than 1Mbps - so worthless. However my 4G iPad worked just fine. Only 1 elevator with a max capacity of 8. So a couple of times I just took the stairs to my room instead. Because the reception area is so narrow, no one coming in can escape notice. Plus there is only 1 door for coming and going and there was at least one doorman on duty every time I came and went.

The front desk personnel were friendly and nice and wanted to help. All of them were Asian and clearly English was not their mother tongue. Communication with them was just OK.

There are an abundance of stores and restaurants and cafes within easy walking distance of the hotel. During my stay there was a steady stream of visitors from Scandinavia, Asia and Italy.

I would recommend this hotel for any traveler who is self-sufficient, travels light and is willing to make the trade-offs I have outlined above.

Room Tip: no view unless your room faces 32nd Street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel is fab location wise. It is about 10 minutes walk to Times Square. The view from our room on the 11th floor was the Empire State building! Staff were very polite and check in was very smooth yes there is only one lift but you don't have to wait long. We got a shuttle from jfk which took about half hour. There is a tube station right on the corner but we walked everywhere as it is only 2 blocks to 5th avenue. Breakfast is limited bagels etc but it's free so you can't expect much. Towels, toiletries, hairdryer etc are all complementary and we couldn't hear any noise from our room. All in all great little hotel which I would definitely recommend and use again.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple