“Unbelievable Experience”

The Surrey
Ranked #86 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The Surrey hotel on the Upper East Side of New York, one block from Central Park is my new favorite hotel in New York. We travel to New York at least 4 times a year. From the moment you walk into the beautifully restored hotel, you know you are in for a very unique hotel experience. It feels like coming home to a very comfortable place. From the bellmen who are always very cordial, front desk girls, especially Hope and Marshanna whom we loved, to the room service and housekeeping people , we were made to feel like a VIP. Lovely hotel, fantastic bar, and of course, the amazing food from Cafe Boulud (same owner as the 3 Michelin starred Daniel), in case you are not familiar. The rooms are quite large and beautifully decorated. If you can manage it and they are available, upgrade to the Grand Deluxe (about 500 square feet and equipped with fireplaces) or the Grand Deluxe with the Terrace (there are only two with terraces and fireplace) and you are welcomed with a lovely outside terrace, almost unheard of in a NYC hotel. The rooftop bar is an oasis of beauty on top of the hotel overlooking the city. The spa, which we did not get to try, looks fantastic also. The beds are so plush, Sferra sheets, cozy down comforters, it just doesn't get any better than this.
We booked our package through Greg at Whatahotel.com and I can't say enough about Greg's amazing service and his willingness to see that our every request was honored. We were immediately upgraded, and Greg took care of that before we even arrived, and then when we extended our stay, he also saw to that..We had a lovely package which included an amazing breakfast each morning. Speaking only through emails, he took care of everything. Unbelievable service.
The rooftop bar at the Surrey is a lovely oasis which can be enjoyed by guests of the hotel any time during the day and at night they feature drinks and lite fare. The views of New York are amazing. We were keeping our grandson who is 4 months old while my son and wife worked (who also stayed there) and everyone was so friendly and lovely. No request was too big or too small for them to grant.
The Surrey is in a lovely Upper East Side neighborhood, at the corner of East 76th and Madison Ave (the designer store mecca for blocks) and one block from Central Park and surrounded by lots of French restaurants. Lovely area, not a lot of tourists so if you are looking for the "action" of Times Square or Midtown, this is probably not for you. But if you are looking to relax, enjoy an incredible room, as well as be treated like a VIP, this is hotel is perfect in every way. Very upscale, but not stuffy, it has only been reopened for a year, and the prices will surprise you.
We loved The Surrey, every aspect of it, and it is definitely now our favorite in New York. We will definitely return many times.

Room Tip: The Grand Deluxe with fireplace and the Grand Deluxe with Terrace and fireplace are absolutely fanta...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us.

It is truly humbling and most rewarding when we successfully execute on our service values. We so appreciate learning that you found our colleagues to be warm yet refined. I have shared your positive comments with all our colleagues and especially thanked Opal and Marshanna for their exceptional service delivery.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our tastefully appointed décor, custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens. Our private roof garden with breath taking views is indeed an oasis and sanctuary for our guests.

I hope you have an opportunity to experience our Spa on your next visit. It is an amazing feature of The Surrey with custom experiences and luxurious treatments in an intimate setting.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

We visit Manhattan monthly and stay at different hotels. Including the Waldorf et el. We love the Surrey. Professional and polite staff. Incredible beds and showers. Tasteful and spacious rooms. I encountered no street noise and I'm a light sleeper. Nice quiet neighborhood

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we have become your home in New York and that we exceeded your expectations with the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues. We appreciate your comments on our tastefully appointed décor, luxurious sleep experience and amazing water pressure which all attributed to a memorable experience.

We were pleased that you enjoyed the Upper East Side and will not consider staying elsewhere. We remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you home soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

First let me start off saying I made reservations 5 months before our arrival. We arrived at the hotel before 12n and check in was to be at 3pm, however they were unable to locate our reservation that we had booked directly on the Surrey website. We spent over 50 mins getting the reservation info corrected, as the burden of proof was solely placed on me as the front desk representative just stood there and waited for me to prove him wrong. The reservation charges were $600 higher than our confirmed reservation.
Thank goodness for blackberry because I had to constantly provide proof of reservation via 2 separate emails and constantly repeat myself. After becoming increasingly frustrated, I asked to speak with a manager and my requests were constantly denied. Finally after reaching my limit and advising, I did not was to move forward until speaking w/ a manager, a gentleman came over to advise that he was a manager and their systems were being audited, and several reservations had been deleted. Come to find out at the time of check out, he was not even a manager. Also at the time of checkout the total was still incorrect, still $600 over the correct amount, and once again I was constantly declined from speaking with a manager.

Finally once were assigned a room (few mins before 4pm) and allowed to go up, half of the room was still dirty and housekeeping was called to clean the other half… RIDICULOUS !!!!!

We received an email before our arrival inquiring what time we would like housekeeping and turndown services which we took as considerate and thoughtful. We requested a 10pm turndown every night. Which would have been great... if we weren't there every night to see it. Turndown service was completed every night before 8:30 or 9p. The problem how ever was we were always there or getting dressed and ready to go out, and never left the room before 9p-9:30 so any cleaning that had been done for turndown service was undone.

This hotel is one big expensive joke !! I have traveled the world and stayed at tons of different hotels with different currencies and limited English translations... I have never in all of my traveling encountered a hotel staff, with no management to be found on site and a hotel that requires the burden of proof of correct billing to be placed on the customer and a pretentious front desk staff too snooty to put forth any effort.

All though majority of the staff were pleasant and a delightful joy with their light hearted and friendly personalities, the front desk is less desirable and difficult. This was a horrible way to start off a vacation. "Bad" would have been if it only took a few minutes... "Horrible" is 52 mins to straighten out a reservation and having to repeat the same conversation at check out. It’s really sad when traveling goes more smoothly thru an international airport than thru a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank Alpha1908

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most candid feedback with us.

I am disappointed to learn of the details of your experience. Please accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience and frustration that we caused you and your sister.

I understand that both Ms Sanela Mrkulic, Director of Guest Relations and Mr Philip Caban, Assistant Front Office Manager were taking care of you on arrival and during your stay. I regret that they both missed the mark in recovering you after a poor first impression on arrival.

I have reached out to you via telephone based on contact information provided to us on arrival so that I may follow up with you in person. I may also be reached at 646.358.3605 or shan.kanagasingham@thesurrey.com.

I look forward to speaking personally with you and sincerely hope that you will give me the opportunity to restore your confidence and regain your trust. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I returned to the Surrey last week. This time I had a corner room on a higher floor (10th or 11th--can't remember which). Even with the additional window on the corner side, the room was far quieter. I reviewed this hotel only a few months ago, and all my previous comments stand. (That said, I did not use room service, so I don't know if they have fixed the bread problem). One additional thing: This hotel is a great base if you want to see a Broadway show. We did. The show ended at 9:30p. We cabbed back to the hotel and had an EXCELLENT meal at Cafe Boulud, which is actually connected to the hotel. The beauty of this is that you can simply walk upstairs to your room afterwards.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kirkberta

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your return visit to The Surrey.

I am pleased that you found our accommodations to be restful and quiet.

We concur that Café Boulud is a fantastic amenity for our guests and we continue to receive rave reviews on their superior quality of dining.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

I booked The Surrey mainly as a result of the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. I have trusted TripAdvisor in the past to lead me in the right direction of great hotels, however on this occasion I was disappointed....beyond disappointed.

This was our first time visiting New York, all the way from Australia, and I decided I would spend extra money (unbeknownst to my fiance) to make the trip extra special as I thought all the wonderful reviews of the Surrey would ensure we had a wonderful holiday.

On checking in we were taken to our room and as soon as we stepped inside I was disappointed. The walls were scratched and so was the furniture and the furniture was dusty. We had just come from 6 nights at the Wynn in Las Vegas (which was amazing and cost 1/3 of what The Surrey cost) and couldn't believe how the room was presented. So, I immediately went to reception and spoke to Jessica, one of the managers. I explained my concerns and while she apologised she didn't seem a) overly surprised at my complaint and b) seemed distracted when I spoke to her. She mentioned that she could move us to a different room, but would have to look into the system to find out if she was able to do that immediately. I said that was fine as we would go out to dinner and she could leave us a message while we were out.

Before I headed upstairs I spoke to Andrew, the Conceirge, who recommended Carravagio for dinner and said he would book a table for 2 in half an hours time.

We arrived at Carravagio at the time of our booking only to find they had no record of the booking or a call from The Surrey. Nevertheless they arranged a table for us and we had the best Italian meal we have ever had. If you go there try the roast chicken. My fiance can't stop raving about it!

Upon our return from dinner I expected to find a message left from Jessica. There wasn't one, so I headed downstairs to find out what was happening. She mentioned she wasn't able to find another room but would arrange for us to be moved the next day while we were out, all we had to do was inform reception in the morning that our bags were packed and they would move us. I asked if she could ensure that the new room didn't have the same issues as our current room, and she said it would be checked to be clean and free of any issues. She also said by way of apology she would arrange a free breakfast for us at Cafe Daniel and would send up a bottle of wine (she asked what wine we would like and I mentioned champagne to celebrate being in New York). 1 hour later (at 10pm) our wine arrived, and I was surprised and disappointed to find it was red wine.

The next day we headed down to breakfast. We had been told Cafe Daniel opened at 7am, and we arrived at 7:15 to find that they were closed and still setting up the breakfast buffet. A staff member saw us and let us in and took our order. Sadly, the food was beyond disappointing. Anyway, after breakfast I went to reception to inform them that our bags were packed ready for the room move. Wing Lei asked what time we would be back and I mentioned around 3pm and she advised our bags would be in our new room by then and to report to reception for our new room key. She also had no message from Jessica informing her that our breakfast had been organised to be comped.

At 4pm we arrived back at the hotel and upon checking with reception we were told our bags had not yet been moved. We were given the key to our new room and waited for our bags to arrive. I looked around the room and found it to be only slightly better than the last. After our bags arrived we went for a walk to find an ATM and as we walked through reception one of the reception staff yelled across reception "Are you happy now?". It made me feel like I was being a difficult guest and the people in reception turned around to look at us. If he had wanted to make sure we were happy he should have come to speak to us in person and not yelled across reception for everyone to hear.

When we got back to the hotel I hopped in the shower and as I grabbed the washcloth a dirty razor cap from the previous guest fell out of the shower. I broke down in tears and felt sick at the thought that I had almost used a dirty washcloth and that the special hotel I had planned as a surprise for my boyfriend was turning into a nightmare. I told my boyfriend what had happened and showed him the razor and he headed down to reception. He spoke to Jessica again, and explained I was too upset to come down because of the comment from the person behind the front desk. My boyfriend explained we preferred to not move hotel rooms again and Jessica offered to comp one night as a way of apology.

Half an hour later the head of housekeeping visited our room and apologised. While he was there we mentioned an issue with the shower head, which we demonstrated him, and he said he would arrange for an engineer to visit while we were at dinner. When we returned from dinner there was no note from housekeeping and the shower had not been fixed.

Over the next few days (we stayed 8 nights in total) we found the turn down service to be haphazard and despite the fact before you arrive you are asked what time you would like a turndown it does not happen at the time you requested. We also had several issues with housekeeping where items were not cleaned - for example the drinking glasses besides the tap in the bathroom were not changed for 5 days, we had to ask 3 times for the pillows we had requested on our booking and our prebooking survey. Had it not been for my boyfriend not wanting to move rooms let alone hotels I would have checked out after the second night. As a result, each night I became more and more irate at the money we were wasting on a supposedly 5 star hotel that just didn't live up to expectations.

As we were checking out the girl behind the desk asked if I enjoyed my stay. I answered honestly and said no, and I felt she was the first person we encountered who actually cared about what I was saying and wasn't distracted or running off half way through a conversation. She was most apologetic and spent the next 10 minutes trying to get hold of the manager for me to talk to. Eric, the manager, eventually came to our room and we explained all the issues we had encountered. He apologised profusely and offered to comp a night, and to send us something in the mail to encourage us to come back (something we've yet to receive which I think is due to the fact I twice provided our correct address and yet when we checked out the address was STILL wrong) and while that was nice, it still doesn't make up for the fact that our stay in New York was clouded by the disappointment in our choice of hotel. Next time I will save myself half the money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank ladeesse
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most candid feedback with us.

I truly regret and am disappointed to learn of the details of your experience. This is truly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves with. Please accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience, annoyance and frustration we caused you and your fiancé.

I have reached out to you based on contact information provided to us on arrival so that I may follow up with you in person. I may also be reached at 646.358.3605 or shan.kanagasingham@thesurrey.com.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

We usually visit NY about 1-2 x/year and have stayed at a number of other hotels ranked highly on Trip Advisor (Casablanca, Alex, Bryant Park, Sofitel, Renaissance Times Square). We've been really happy with all those places but the Surrey is our new favorite place to stay. You don't have the free breakfast that some of the other hotels have, but most of the time, we like to go out and find something anyhow (E.A.T. down the street was perfect for us). The showers were absolutely awesome (almost TOO powerful) and the beds are incredibly comfortable. We also loved the upper East side location away from the masses in Midtown. The hotel is quiet and the staff was uniformly professional and helpful. (no worries about being a trendy/snooty place here). We mostly came to visit some of the art museums and the location here couldn't be any better.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us as your favorite place to stay when traveling to New York.

Please allow me to invite you on your next stay to take advantage of Our Breakfast by Boulud offer which includes breakfast. We were pleased to learn that our custom Duxiana bedding, sumptuous linens, rejuvenating shower experience and prime location all attributed to a memorable experience.

It is truly humbling and most rewarding when we successfully execute on our service values. We so appreciate learning of the courtesy extended by our colleagues.

We look forward to your return visit and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

We cannot say enough good things about this hotel and the staff. We chose this hotel because it was pet friendly and its proximity to central park. The rooms were comfortable, elegant, and clean. The bed was heavenly! The staff was beyond accommodating and friendly, and we can't wait to return! Parking was $55 per night, which for NYC isn't bad. We felt like we were coming home every day/night we returned and won't even consider staying elsewhere!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank laurenjoshtravel116

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our unique design, to the tastefully appointed details in your accommodation, to the sumptuous sleep experience,
to our central location to the best of New York and most importantly, the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues.

We were pleased that we exceeded your expectations and you will not consider staying elsewhere. We remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you home soon.