“Luxury, spacious hotel on the Upper East side”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #91 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Surrey for three nights, and we were impressed by the size of the Grand Deluxe Salon room. For NYC, this was an amazingly spacious room with two sofas, a desk, king bed, steam shower, marble top sinks, and all impeccably decorated.

We met the general manager of the hotel, who informed us that the designer of this newly remodeled hotel apparently lived in the space for several months to get a feel for the neighborhood and style of the architecture before embarking on the design. It really shows! The mosaic tile in the lobby was impressive, and this theme is repeated in the guest rooms as well.

Be sure to enjoy the rooftop terrace on the penthouse floor. They serve great cocktails, and you'll get some amazing views of the city!

When we usually stay in NYC, we are much closer to Midtown, but we enjoyed the different vibe of the Upper East Side this time. Near our hotel, we saw Sean (P Diddy) Combs jogging and Gossip Girl was filming in the hotel lobby when we returned one night. The area is much more "neighborhood-y", so if you want to blend in, it's perfect.

Since we live in Boston, we drove and the hotel graciously kept our car safe for only $50/night in a nearby garage. Much cheaper than flying or taking the train!

All in all, I definitely recommend this hotel. It's well worth the price, and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Grand Deluxe Salon in order to maximize your space and get a great view.
1  Thank LA_Based_Traveler

Reviewed 25 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here the weekend of July 16...I surprised him with a trip to NYC and popped the question...the staff at the Surrey went above and beyond to help me in creating a romantic and memorable weekend. From the initial e-mails with Sanela, the Guest Relations Rep. (a gem) to Michael, the concierge, they made sure that everything was taken care of, from the upgrading of our room, to the recommending and reserving of a restaurant (Daniel's...look it up and definitely go there for exquisite French cuisine at an upscale venue). Checking in was a breeze; we were made to feel very welcomed. Andrew, another concierge, was sweet enough to walk me to a site at nearby Central Park that he and Michael thought would be the perfect spot for me to propose (who does that?!) and made sure that any extra special touches were taken care of (such as champagne and even a blanket). The room itself was gorgeous. We stayed in a Deluxe Salon corner unit; lots of light, luxurious bed and linens, beautiful bathroom, and everyone talks about the shower for a reason: the pressure and largeness of the head provide an ultimate shower experience ;) In the evening before dinner we got sent up chocolate covered strawberries and awaiting us after dinner was a bed covered in rose-petals and chilled champagne. Since we booked the "Romance Package" we also treated ourselves to a couples' massage the next day. The Spa is gorgeous and the staff are very friendly. Our masseuses did fabulous jobs; best massages we've ever had. Our private spa suite was right out of a magazine. And the service afterwards by Tony were exceptional; tea, followed by champagne, followed by chocolates...we didn't want to leave! All in all staying at the Surrey was an amazing experience; they treat you like royalty and I highly recommend it for a special occasion or even if you want to stay in the most efficient and classiest of surroundings. Great hotel, awesome location, and dedicated staff. STAY HERE if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: E-mail or call the hotel; hopefully a Guest Relations Rep. and/or a Concierge can help you out and t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely generous and amazing feedback from your recent stay with us.

It is truly humbling and most rewarding when we successfully execute on our service values. We strive to touch the heart and soul of our guests and are extremely proud that Sanela with Guest Relations, Michael and Andrew with Concierge and Tony with our Spa team were successful in achieving this with you.

We appreciate your comments on our tastefully appointed décor, luxurious sleep experience and amazing water pressure which all attributed to a memorable experience.

We concur that The Spa at The Surrey is a highlight of our guest experience with custom experiences and luxurious treatments in an intimate setting.

Once again, thank you for choosing us for your special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your nuptials and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Absolutely different, cozy, warm people, friendly, perfect location, warm, excellent design, value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the high praise of a perfect stay. We were truly delighted to learn that we had exceeded your expectations from our prime location, gracious service levels rendered by our colleagues to our tastefully appointed décor by famed interior architect Lauren Rottet.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

My review echos the stellar reviews that others have already given that outline the features of the hotel, with some additions. This hotel truly has thought of everything needed in order to make for a comfortable stay away from home. My husband and I travelled to NYC for a weekend, and chose the Surrey based on its quiet location on the Upper East Side as well as the positive reviews. We were not disappointed from the moment we walked through the doors (always opened by doormen).

Upon arrival, the staff behind the desk seemed genuinely pleasant and were very helpful. We were also offered a complimentary glass of white wine, which really set a nice tone for the trip. We went up to our room, and were quite satisfied with the accomodations. Spa music was playing when we walked through the door, and the custom lighting was perfectly dimmed (it was 8 pm), giving the room a romantic, but not cheesy vibe. The accomodations were beautiful - beautiful furniture, carpeting, bathroom, shower - and felt very luxurious. Was most impressed with various lighting options that could be easily set by a push of a button. At first, we were disappointed by the lack of coffee machine in the room, but were more than impressed when we went to the lobby the first morning and found a complimentary coffee bar (even better!). Also impressed with other complimentary items such as water, and the two green apples that went so perfectly with the decor!

We checked out the roof-top bar, which looked very nice, and was a nice feature, but unfortunately, we travelled during the recent heat wave, and because of the hot temperatures, the outdoor bar was closed during our trip. Would make a great spot for a casual drink though.

Only conceivable strike against the Surrey would be its isolated location, which does not seem to be near many restaurants and cafes. However, the Surrey is super close to the Met and other museums, and is in a quiet neighborhood. For us, we were specifically looking for a hotel that was away from the hustle and bustle of mid-town, and this fit the bill perfectly!

Overall, if you're looking for luxurious, but also reasonably priced, accomodations in a nice quiet NYC neighborhood, this is the place for you!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our unique design, to the tastefully appointed details in your accommodation, to our central location to the best of New York and most importantly, the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues.

We were pleased that you appreciated the many small customized touches that we have curated for our guests to ensure a memorable experience. We remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you home soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We travel to NYC often. Staying at the Ritz or Plaza. This was our first time at the Surrey. We wanted to try a new hotel and we needed a hotel that was pet friendly. I travel frequenly and have a very high standard. Usually I post the unpleasent service or experience I have had. You can read my review of very disappointing stay we had in Atlantic City. So praise is somthing very hard to find in my review.

Everything starts with quality of room. Our room was fresh, superbly cleaned. Even the corners and under the bed were spotless. The bed, tv, shower and appointments were outstanding. Very fitting a high class hotel. So zero disappointments. Some little details that we noticed that were above other hotels. The lights had no switchs. All push button. From evening to all on to dim was all controled by a push of a button. The room came with high quality spirits. Not individual but an entire fifth. The nice part was all fairly priced. A small thing but very much appreciated. The shower was the best I had ever seen in a hotel. Lots of water pressure, with multiple water heads all easily controled. The hot water came right away. Another small thing but so appreciated. The way the hotel is set up all the rooms are quiet. No nosie at all. One other small thing was we could pull a shade down that blocked almost all sunlight coming into our room. We slept deep into the day without the sunlight waking us up. Another small but nice benefit of our room.

Since we brought our doggies we stayed in one of the pet friendly rooms. They only charged a $100 fee to have the dogs in the room. They supplied a doggie bed that was as fine as many hotel beds. It too was clean and fresh. They also gave treats of Angus beef and Salmon. The treats were USDA human grade. The treatment of the dogs was better then some of the service and quality I have had at 4 star hotels in many cities.

Clearly Surrey has amenties, quality of room with a freshness that I have not found at other hotels. If you are disappointed in the room I would like to see where you have stayed before and I want to go to that hotel.

Any fine hotel has to get the room right. So now I move to service.

The front desk check in was easy. I really don't like a slow check in process. Even though we arrived at a busy check in time the Surrey had numerous check in people and as soon as I gave my name they gave me the key and I was on my way. My truck, which is a customized Chevy Dually, needed a special parking spot. Usually I am greeted with "oh we can't park that truck". Well the bellmen took great care and made this a non event for me. Not an easy thing but they made it seem easy. So check in was simple and easy.

Having dogs in the room creates a dynamic for maid. Not only is there more clean up but she has to time the cleaning for our dog walks. We like to take a long walk with our dogs around 3-4 in the afternoon. Our maid stayed late to clean our room to accomadate our walk. She never said she was I found out by asking why she is there so early and leaves late. She did this to make our stay easier. WOW.

The bellman always had the door opened for us and the doggies. When we came back from our walk they had Angus beef treats for our doggies and our maid had given us cool doggie water in the room.

The hotel recomendations on restaurants and places to shop was great. Atlantic Grill and Hauru Sushi are superb. I think 76th and Lexington is where both are located. Great great food. We also were refered to Joe Shangi's and Uncle Herb for Kobe beef. All great food.

The roof top bar is fantastic. We enjoyed the stars in the sky and the stars staying at hotel. Opra Winfrey and the stars off Law and Order were all at our hotel, along with numerous NFL players. A must hang out spot.

The location of the hotel is wonderful for walking in Central park. At the Plaza you have so many tourists and the smell of those horses is so bad. At the Surrey no horses to make the smell and you have only locals to deal with at the park entrance. We also walked around late at night and felt safe.

So service, quality and class would be my summary. I have never stayed in a better hotel. My basis of comparison is excellent.

Room Tip: Just book at the Surrey

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback with us. We were delighted that we exceeded your expectations in respect to service, quality and amenities.

We pride ourselves in being a pet-friendly hotel and I am pleased that our four legged guests were well cared for.

I was especially pleased that our Doormen team was able to ensure a prompt and hassle free experience with your vehicle. Rest assured that we have also shared your rewarding feedback with Housekeeping and thanked them for going above and beyond in being intuitive to your needs.

Our private roof garden is reminiscent of an English garden and is exclusive for our hotel guests. I am pleased that you enjoyed this offering which is the only outdoor private roof oasis in a hotel on the Upper East Side.

Once again, thank you for your high praise of a great stay and for being a fan of our prime location, gracious service levels rendered by our colleagues to our tastefully appointed décor by famed interior architect Lauren Rottet. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Surrey soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed at the Surrey for 2 nights with our two kids and their grandparents. the lady who checked us in was extremely friendly and helpful with a nice sense of humor. She found us two rooms that faced each other. All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and always ready to help with whatever we needed. The concierage was especially nice and resourceful.
The rooms are well appointed with very nice rain-showers. The hotel is one block away from Central Park and 5 blocks away from the Met. We would definitely be visting this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank SFBayLuv2trvl

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your two day stay at The Surrey with your family. Our colleagues are indeed an asset to us and I have shared and thanked the Guest Services and Concierge team for their exceptional service delivery.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our superior levels of service, quality of amenities and found our location to be perfect.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, and it was a great experience! We had lunch at Cafe Boulud as part of Restaurant Week. The selections were numerous. My wife had the chicken, I had the fish, plus appetizer and dessert. It was a fine lunching experience! The room was very nice, the bed was a Dux Bed! A phenomenal sleeping experience!
All in all, a very relaxing stay in a very posh hotel.

1  Thank Jeffiecee
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you had a relaxing stay and found Café Boulud, our tastefully appointed décor, sumptuous bedding and luxury linens all to be the highlight of your time at The Surrey.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for the vote of confidence. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, remain at your service.