“Beautiful rooms, poor service”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #63 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“Beautiful rooms, poor service”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The service was what really let this 5-star property down. Staff were certainly dressed the part but did not act the part. When we called for an ice bucket it took them over an hour and 4 calls before it got to the room. When we arranged in-room breakfast they served it one hour late.

The room itself is beautifully done - marble bathrooms, a grand bed that looked and felt kingly, a nice sitting area beside large windows, as well as adequate desk and walking space. The bathroom has no shower tubs, and I was told we would have to get an upgrade to a suite (+800 USD!) to find one.

Dinner at Daniel was only average - posh waiters and the old clientele and the decorations gave it a certain atmosphere, but was disappointed that the food did not meet our expectations (for what it was worth).

Location cannot be faulted - it is within walking distance to central park and the Met, and many other dining and tea establishments around the corner.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our tastefully appointed décor, prime location to Central Park and The New York Metropolitan Museum.

I regret and am disappointed that our service delivery was not consistent during your stay with us. Rest assured that we I have shared this with Mr Daniel Martinez, Food & Beverage Manager who will provide the re-training to our In Room Dining team as it relates to timely response to service requests to prevent future guest dissatisfaction.

We will most certainly share your comments with our Café Boulud team as it relates to the quality of food at Daniel.

Please feel free to contact me personally at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York. I truly look forward to restoring your trust in us and regaining your confidence in respect to our service delivery. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The Surrey was our first stop in a New York twin-centre, combining two very different locations...the Upper East Side and the Flatiron district...which made for a fantastic break. The hotel is just footsteps from Central Park and many of NYC’s best museums, so it was great to be able to literally stroll back to the hotel each day and not have to contend with the crowds in Midtown.

The hotel itself has been beautifully restored, in classy white and grey tones, and our Grand Deluxe Salon room, was spacious and comfortable. The highlight being the luxurious marble bathroom...gorgeous.

My only gripe concerns our check-in service. Upon arrival the reception staff were unable to locate our reservation details and whilst they maintained they were looking into it they proceeded to ignore us for a good 30 minutes whilst they fawned over another guest checking in after us, who appeared to be booked into a large suite.. preferential treatment??? At that point I was made feel like a second class citizen, which as a guest checking into a five star boutique property is unacceptable. It was only when we had been ignored for over 30 minutes, with no acknowledgement or update, that we demanded that they resolve this issue and we finally got some action. I’d be a liar if I said it didn’t put a damper on things, and for me was a serious black mark against what is a really special boutique hotel. Shame.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nic068
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit. We appreciate your comments on the tastefully appointed décor and concur that our accommodations and bathroom are spacious and luxurious.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced on arrival. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on. Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Midlands
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have just returned from New York and stayed at The Surrey for five nights. Everything in the hotel was faultless, from an easy and very friendly check in to the Guest Services Manager providing complimentary champagne for my birthday. The room we stayed in (9th floor) was dual aspect and a quite a very peaceful space above Manhattan; the room was a very good size with separate seating area and the most powerful shower I have ever experienced.
Drinks in the bar are great too, the spa is uber professional and well finished if a little expensive perhaps.
The Surrey has balanced professional, exceptional standards with a very genuine and warm friendly touch- I have found that other top-end hotels don't often combine these two successfully. Would absolutely recommend this hotel is worth saving up for- faultless!!

If i was going to make one small comment- free wifi in rooms please!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BJJR
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you felt at home at The Surrey. Our employees are indeed an asset to us and I have thanked Ms Sanela Mrkulic, Director of Guest Relations for ensuring you had an enjoyable birthday celebration with us.

We appreciate your comments on the tastefully appointed décor, spacious accommodations and amazing water pressure which all attributed to a memorable experience. The Spa at The Surrey continues to be the highlight for our guests and the Upper East Side community.

We periodically review all pricing and services and will certainly consider your feedback on the internet charges into consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2011

If I was asked to create my dream hotel, this would be it!
The interior design and art is perfection.
You cannot beat the location.
Upper East Side between Fifth and Madison. Shopping and Museum mecca.

The ONLY reason it does not get 5 out of 5 is the concierge. Michael is OK, but there is a new lady with a southern accent that is hopeless! If your a concierge in NYC that should be the pinnacle; you should know everything about NYC and ways to get a table at last minute etc. I overheard her with a guest - she didn't even know how to give the guest directions to the Hamptons and admitted she never been there and knew nothing about it. Not ok!

Back to the fabulousness..............
The spa is very well done. The products are Darphin (bravo).

The Hotel is Dog and CAT friendly!!! Very friendly and most appreciated.

Turn down service is wonderful they give you a little treat.... I'll let you see for yourself.

The restaurant is Cafe Bouloud.
A private penthouse roof garden.

I'm here at least a few nights a month and love it.

Room Tip: There is no
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank nyctvlr75
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for such a tremendous compliment by saying we have created your dream hotel.

We were truly delighted to learn that we had exceeded your expectations from our prime location, to our tastefully appointed décor by famed interior architect Lauren Rottet and museum quality art collection.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of knowledge and service delivery by our Concierge team. Please know that we take such feedback very seriously and Ms Lorena Ringoot, Chef Concierge will ensure that on-going training, build on knowledge and acumen continues to be our focus.

Ms Cheryl Jacobs, Director of Spa was especially pleased to learn that you enjoyed our Spa and her team exceeded your expectations in respect to the quality of treatment and services.

As you are in New York a few nights a month, please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity meet you in person. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, remain at your service.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel is wonderful. Friendly and unpretentious. I was disappointed when I couldn't get a room on a higher floor. It did not matter. This place is quiet and peaceful. The outdoor roof top lounge, for guests only, is also fantastic. My daughter and I had a memorable experience here. I don't think we will be able to stay anywhere else in Manhatten. The young couple checking in next to me were staying 7 night! Needless to say I was jealous. If you don't want to spring for the big bucks, then at least go to the lounge off the main lobby for a drink. Whoever designed the interior, knew what they were doing. I will be back, only this time I will spring for two nights.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely generous feedback from your recent stay with us. It is truly humbling and most rewarding when we successfully execute on our service values.

I was delighted that you found your sleep experience to be quiet and peaceful despite being on a lower floor. Our private roof garden is reminiscent of an English garden and I am pleased that you enjoyed this offering which is the only outdoor private roof oasis in a hotel on the Upper East Side.

Once again, thank you for your high recommendation and for being a fan of The Surrey. I sincerely hope you will return soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We booked this as a last minute trip as I had always wanted to go to New York at Christmas. I had looked at loads of hotels but didn't like the look of any or the location until the travel agent brought this up. We were about 10 minutes walk from the main shopping and the park was at the end of the road. Hotel was luxurious and the staff would try to accommodate any request made, lovely large beds. Couldn't fault it on anything and it would be my first choice if I ever go back. Pack your thermals if you go at Christmas because its freezing. I would urge anybody if going to New York to try this hotel. We never ate in the restaurant hence me not scoring it but we did use the bar and have no complaints.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from last December with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have become your first choice in New York.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our superior levels of service, tastefully appointed décor, custom Duxiana bedding and found our location to be perfect.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I loved the Surrey. It's in a nice location and the staff was helpful and easy going. I wlked to many of the biz meetings I had and the museums. Definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you had a great stay and found our tastefully appointed décor, prime location and intuitive service to be the highlight of your time at The Surrey.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for being a fan. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, remain at your service.