The service was what really let this 5-star property down. Staff were certainly dressed the part but did not act the part. When we called for an ice bucket it took them over an hour and 4 calls before it got to the room. When we arranged in-room breakfast they served it one hour late.
The room itself is beautifully done - marble bathrooms, a grand bed that looked and felt kingly, a nice sitting area beside large windows, as well as adequate desk and walking space. The bathroom has no shower tubs, and I was told we would have to get an upgrade to a suite (+800 USD!) to find one.
Dinner at Daniel was only average - posh waiters and the old clientele and the decorations gave it a certain atmosphere, but was disappointed that the food did not meet our expectations (for what it was worth).
Location cannot be faulted - it is within walking distance to central park and the Met, and many other dining and tea establishments around the corner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City