“Great location, charming boutique hotel, service could be better”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #91 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Pricey but what do you expect in NYC? As it goes not bad value compared to others of a similar standard in Manhattan. The location is fantastic for a romantic getaway - you are right on the edge of Central Park (East Side) and in easy reach of 5th Ave, Park Ave and the 77th St / 68th St tubes.

Generally the staff were great as well and could not be more helpful expect for the lady on the desk 1st night who did not really try and help with difficulties with cards when paying the deposit for the room. Staff also did not respond to after care emails when I was trying to locate some lost property. Apart from this the staff were faultless - particularly the bar staff and the porters.

We had a grand delux suite which was spotless, well sized, very comfortable bed and well appointed en-suite. Breakfast in bed is recommended as are the cocktails at the bar downstairs. Portions for breakfast can be small so order lots of stuff - or head to the numerous deli's and cafes just around the corner.

Overall a great time and we are looking forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit. We appreciate your comments on our prime location, tastefully appointed décor and concur that our accommodations are spacious and luxurious.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced on arrival as well as the lack of follow-up to items that were mis-placed. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on. Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to ensure prompt and proper follow-up.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

so often, i've left top end hotels in nyc thinking, "why did i spend that money to be treated that way?", whether it was staff attitude, small space, iffy service or you-name-it that made the stay less than top end. i read all of the glowing tripadvisor.com reviews before booking the surrey, and reserved a grand deluxe salon for 4 nights, resigned to being similarly disappointed. suffice to say that i am so, so happy to have been wrong... this place is just flat out marvelous from top to bottom. start with the staff... all are superbly trained in the art of genuine hospitality, so welcoming that immediately upon arrival, you almost forget you are in NYC. our room on the 10th floor was beautifully and creatively appointed, the bed spectacularly comfortable, and every design touch is made to please the senses. an automated lighting system even provides perfect lighting for any time of day. room service is very efficient, and since the food comes from the wonderful cafe boulud downstairs, it is also impeccably delicious. every request made through guest services was provided quickly, as though there was no one else in the hotel, while it was fully booked. one evening we couldn't get into cafe boulud until later than we wanted to, and concierge michael provided two perfect substitutes a short walk away, and the one chosen was utter perfection.

as with any property, there were nits, but here they were so small that i won't bother you with them (okay, one was A missing light bulb, just so you know how small these nits were). i am happy to recommend the surrey wholeheartedly... i won't stay anywhere else after our recent visit!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were truly delighted that we surpassed your expectations and have become your new home when in New York.

We pride ourselves in providing superior levels of service that is warm, gracious and attentive and are so proud that we successfully achieved this with you. We have shared your rewarding and most encouraging feedback with our Guest Services and In Room Dining teams and especially thanked Mr Michael Bordenick, Concierge for his superb recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We just returned from 2 nights at the Surrey Hotel in NYC. We chose it based on Trip Advisor reviews and it was Perfect from beginning to end.When booking ,we checked a preference for room on a higher floor ,and that we were celebrating an anniversary.Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful,especially the front desk.!We were upgraded to a suite because there was no upper level room availability.It was the most beautiful space with sumptious bath,and a very very comfortable bed.Attention to detail is neverending and we enjoyed our stay immensely.A chilled bottle of champagne was sent to our room in honor of our anniversary. I could go on and on but just will say that it is the best place...its convienient to Museum Mile,Central Park fine restaurants and shopping.Cafe Boulard on the premise is a fine dining experience, and the Rooftop Garden puts the Surrey as a number 1 NYC getaway.

Room Tip: they offer rooms on an inside court which is perfectly quiet
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most detailed feedback. We appreciate your comments on the tastefully appointed décor, the luxurious sleep experience and our convenient location to Central Park all attributed to a memorable experience. We strive to touch the heart and soul of our guests and we are extremely proud that we achieved this with you.

Once again, thank you for your high recommendation, your generous compliments and for being a fan of The Surrey. The compliment of a perfect and outstanding stay from beginning to end coupled with being the number one New York getaway was most gracious and well received by all on my team.

I sincerely hope you will return soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

The wife and I spent 3 days with family in East Hampton then took the Hampton Jitney (great ride and service) to Manhattan. We originally booked the room through Getaroom.com and although the personnel at Getaroom were great, the room they booked for us wasn't. Instead of a view of NY and the tall buildings and Central Park, we looked at a brick wall! For over $300 a night, this was not what we expected! Luckily, we worked with Guy at the front desk who upgraded us (at a nominal cost) to a bigger room with a great view of the spectacular skyline.
Once we had a room that we could enjoy, my wife and I could relax and experience The Surrey itself. What beautiful decor! Blacks, greys, whites, sepias - all these colors with a variety of patterns and textures melded together for a luxurious experience. Coffee was in the lobby in the morning - the fitness center had cool, refrigerated towels at your disposal. The bar always had a good vibe. Our room was perfect (although it could've used a refrigerator to store cool drinks - this was, after all, the NY heat wave that hit in mid-July.) Plus, we had no ice machine on our floor - you had to get room service to get the ice - a mild inconvenience.
Sleeping at The Surrey was surreal! My wife and I felt like we were just floating on the beautiful mattress, sheets, pillows, and comforters. I should send The Surrey a bill for the pillows that my wife bought upon our arrival home in L.A. --- she loved the pillows so much at The Surrey that she had to go out and buy a set for our own home.
The staff was always courteous, respectful, and helpful. This, for the wife and I, is important. One morning I was getting in the elevator. I saw that one of the staff had the morning paper. I asked him where I could get one. Instead of telling me where to get the paper, he said, "here - take mine; I'll get another." What a classy act!
Location - upper east side, a block from Central Park, cool restaurants on Lexington, sharp shops on Madison, and lovely residential brownstones on the side streets.
We recommend The Surrey without any reservations whatsoever!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing seamless, personalized levels of service and are truly proud that we have achieved this with you. Your recognition of The Surrey being the hotel of choice in New York for the discerning guest is truly humbling and rewarding.

I have especially thanked Mr Guy Hillel, Guest Service Agent for being intuitive to your needs for a more spacious accommodation.

I am thrilled that you will think of The Surrey nightly as you prepare for slumber….our pillows and bedding will guarantee you awake refreshed.

I was so proud to learn that a fellow colleague promptly extended the newspaper he had in hand….that was indeed a first class act.

We look forward to your return visit and in the interim, remain at your service.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The service was what really let this 5-star property down. Staff were certainly dressed the part but did not act the part. When we called for an ice bucket it took them over an hour and 4 calls before it got to the room. When we arranged in-room breakfast they served it one hour late.

The room itself is beautifully done - marble bathrooms, a grand bed that looked and felt kingly, a nice sitting area beside large windows, as well as adequate desk and walking space. The bathroom has no shower tubs, and I was told we would have to get an upgrade to a suite (+800 USD!) to find one.

Dinner at Daniel was only average - posh waiters and the old clientele and the decorations gave it a certain atmosphere, but was disappointed that the food did not meet our expectations (for what it was worth).

Location cannot be faulted - it is within walking distance to central park and the Met, and many other dining and tea establishments around the corner.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our tastefully appointed décor, prime location to Central Park and The New York Metropolitan Museum.

I regret and am disappointed that our service delivery was not consistent during your stay with us. Rest assured that we I have shared this with Mr Daniel Martinez, Food & Beverage Manager who will provide the re-training to our In Room Dining team as it relates to timely response to service requests to prevent future guest dissatisfaction.

We will most certainly share your comments with our Café Boulud team as it relates to the quality of food at Daniel.

Please feel free to contact me personally at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York. I truly look forward to restoring your trust in us and regaining your confidence in respect to our service delivery. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

The Surrey was our first stop in a New York twin-centre, combining two very different locations...the Upper East Side and the Flatiron district...which made for a fantastic break. The hotel is just footsteps from Central Park and many of NYC’s best museums, so it was great to be able to literally stroll back to the hotel each day and not have to contend with the crowds in Midtown.

The hotel itself has been beautifully restored, in classy white and grey tones, and our Grand Deluxe Salon room, was spacious and comfortable. The highlight being the luxurious marble bathroom...gorgeous.

My only gripe concerns our check-in service. Upon arrival the reception staff were unable to locate our reservation details and whilst they maintained they were looking into it they proceeded to ignore us for a good 30 minutes whilst they fawned over another guest checking in after us, who appeared to be booked into a large suite.. preferential treatment??? At that point I was made feel like a second class citizen, which as a guest checking into a five star boutique property is unacceptable. It was only when we had been ignored for over 30 minutes, with no acknowledgement or update, that we demanded that they resolve this issue and we finally got some action. I’d be a liar if I said it didn’t put a damper on things, and for me was a serious black mark against what is a really special boutique hotel. Shame.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nic068

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit. We appreciate your comments on the tastefully appointed décor and concur that our accommodations and bathroom are spacious and luxurious.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced on arrival. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on. Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have just returned from New York and stayed at The Surrey for five nights. Everything in the hotel was faultless, from an easy and very friendly check in to the Guest Services Manager providing complimentary champagne for my birthday. The room we stayed in (9th floor) was dual aspect and a quite a very peaceful space above Manhattan; the room was a very good size with separate seating area and the most powerful shower I have ever experienced.
Drinks in the bar are great too, the spa is uber professional and well finished if a little expensive perhaps.
The Surrey has balanced professional, exceptional standards with a very genuine and warm friendly touch- I have found that other top-end hotels don't often combine these two successfully. Would absolutely recommend this hotel is worth saving up for- faultless!!

If i was going to make one small comment- free wifi in rooms please!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BJJR

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you felt at home at The Surrey. Our employees are indeed an asset to us and I have thanked Ms Sanela Mrkulic, Director of Guest Relations for ensuring you had an enjoyable birthday celebration with us.

We appreciate your comments on the tastefully appointed décor, spacious accommodations and amazing water pressure which all attributed to a memorable experience. The Spa at The Surrey continues to be the highlight for our guests and the Upper East Side community.

We periodically review all pricing and services and will certainly consider your feedback on the internet charges into consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.