The Surrey
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Mark(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Third Ave House(New York City)
View Hotel
Hotel Plaza Athenee(New York City)
  • Restaurant
The Franklin(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Lowell Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Bristol Plaza(New York City)
  • Pool
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Fitness centre
The Melrose Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,958 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkmuseum mileroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2011

But, they don't make it easy. Room service takes an hour, IF you are lucky, even if you do the night-before-door-tag-thing. (Tip, order it for 45 minutes before you actually want it.) And earplugs will help not hear the vacuum cleaners in the hallway before it is light outside. I can't say what time because I couldn't read the time on the tv. And I was very disappointed that they closed the hotel bar for a private party. Although they did offer the aforementioned room service. (ice delivery took 20 minutes) That said, great upper east-side location with nice rooms. And they really do want to please.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jae2468
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments on our prime location and tastefully appointed guest accommodations.

I regret to learn that your sleep was interrupted by the noise pollution from vacuuming in the corridor. In my follow up with Mr Rene Roman, Director of Rooms I have stressed the importance of ensuring that tasks are conducted at a time that does not infringe upon our guests slumber. I have also shared your comments with Mr Kole Djurovic, Food and Beverage Manager so that he may provide ensure that orders and requests are delivered in a timely manner.

We sincerely apologize that you found our communication lacking in respect to our lobby coffee service; we serve coffee and tea daily in the lobby from 5:30am – 8:30am.

Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and confidence in us and have you return to The Surrey. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim we remain at your service.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

This was a difficult review to write as the highs and lows of the hotel were so extreme. This stay in New York was a family reunion of several siblings and spouses, so my comments are the collective experience of 8 adults.

My sister and I chose The Surrey because of it's residential location (Upper East Side) and the intimate feel of the hotel. We had experience with similar hotels (The Mark and The Lowell) on previous occasions but wanted to try this newly renovated property. We were extremely pleased by the interior design of the hotel where the attention to detail was really superb. The leathers, tiles, woods, linens and artwork were a feast for the senses. The Dux beds were incredibly comfortable as was the seating in the rooms.

The difficulty with the hotel began with the phone contact with the hotel. Several calls to reservations took 5-10 minutes to be connected. Several calls to the concierge to arrange tickets,etc. were never returned even they promised a prompt call-back since the concierge was 'swamped'. However, when we did finally connect with Andrew, he was very helpful. However, it should not have taken 3 calls to finally be able to speak to a concierge.

On arrival several of us arrived with no doorman present and ended up carrying out own bags into the hotel. The presence of a doorman seemed erratic. However, it was the front desk which is truly the problem at The Surrey. I was the first in our group to arrive and asked the front desk to go over the location of rooms with me. The hotel had us scattered over the entire property. When I asked if there was not a note requesting that all rooms be on the same floor, the attendent looked at the computer and simply said "Oh yes, I see that noted" with no offer to remedy the situation. I pressed him to arrange rooms on the same floor which he did. When one of my brothers arrived at 3:30PM he was told that his suite was not ready. Again no apology even though check-in is at 3PM. My sister had gone to the trouble of having notes of welcome printed for all of us to be presented when we checked in. The notes were finally delivered 2 days later. Another sister arrived and was assigned a room on a different floor. When I realized what had happened and asked the same desk attendent if he didn't remember our long conversation the prior evening, he simply said "Yes, I don't know how that happened." Communication is a major issue at this property (like no one mentioning that was coffee available in the lobby in the morning - after I waited 1/2 hr. for coffee delivery from room service each morning for $16)

On a more positive note, the spa treatments were wonderful and the breakfast buffet is excellent.

In summary, this is a gorgeous property which has real potential once management addresses the communication and service issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SeattleTraveller
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your family’s recent stay with us.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences, frustration and disappointment you experienced on arrival with the lack of follow-up on promised requests such as the delivery of your welcome note, the assignment of all accommodations on the same floor and service reliability from our Concierge, In-Room Dining and Guest Services teams.

Rest assured that in my follow up with Mr Rene Roman, Director of Rooms; Ms Lorena Ringoot, Chief Concierge and Mr Kole Djurovic, Food & Beverage Manager, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of with great precision to prevent future such repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

I have passed along your praise to the Café Boulud and Spa teams; they were certainly pleased that we exceeded your breakfast and treatment expectations.

Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We just returned from a three day weekend in NYC with our two young children ages 5 and 3. We chose the Surrey because we were looking for an upscale hotel on the upper east side near Central Park. We were thrilled with the hotel. The room was HUGE, clean, and very comfortable. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was excellent. There was a really nice shower and a separate soaking tub (a big hit with kids but big enough for adults too). The staff were wonderful and helped with finding places to eat. They were also very accommodating of our children, storing our double stroller in a closet off the lobby so that it was easily accessible for walks to Central park etc. We found this to be a very luxurious but also friendly and comfortable place to stay. It was a great location for exploring the city. We plan to return without our kids sometime soon to enjoy a summer weekend at the Surrey and take advantage of the restaurant and the rooftop bar.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Ultra Deluxe Salon with 2 Queens - 14th floor - it was lovely
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cara A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive and most rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we succeeded in providing you and your family with an exceptional experience from our intuitive service delivery to our close proximity to Central Park to our tastefully appointed accommodations and our stunning bathrooms featuring floor to ceiling Carrara marble and soaking tub. I was pleased to learn that our colleagues made you feel warm and welcome by providing you with the personalized services that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming back to your home away from home this upcoming summer and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Having secured a suite for $1260.43 (taxes included) a night, you'd think at least wireless internet would have been thrown in. (Isn't charging extra for wireless a bit like charging extra for hot water these days?) Though comfortable, amenities and personal touches were few and a bit parsimonious. "Welcome basket" consisted of two apples.

All in all, the hotel was fine and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat if (and only if) I there hadn't been a subtle but pervasive sense of tightfistedness on the part of the management.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ProfRT

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us.

I was disappointed to learn that your recent visit did not exceed your expectations as it relates to the generosity of amenities provided. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically reevaluate our pricing strategy for internet services. Rest assured it was never our intention to appear tight fisted.

Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to The Surrey so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you and may be reached at 646-358-3605. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

We stayed for a weekend break in NYC. I was very pleasantly surprised on the size of the rooms -- huge by NY standards and very plush. Great attention to detail, incredibly clean and comfortable, with great amenities. Finished to a high standard. Style was modern but in a soft, comfortable way. The kind of room you could just stay holed up in all weekend if you wanted.

The staff were very friendly, and you really felt that you were in a top quality hotel.

The location is good if you're after museums or high-end boutique shopping but not as great if you want to hang out in Soho or want a good selection of restaurants. The area is very peaceful and quiet--almost haven-like in the bustling city--as it is mainly residential. We had a hard time finding places to eat within walking distance and ended up spending too much in taxi fares, but that was probably poor planning on our part.

I would return if I had activities in the area and cannot fault the hotel itself at all.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our superior levels of service, quality of amenities and found our location to be a luxurious sanctuary.

Our unique design by famed interior architect, Lauren Rottet, is indeed one of our best attributes as are our bespoke Duxiana bedding and floor to ceiling Carrara marble bathrooms. It is our exceptional level of intuitive service that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon; please feel free to contact our Concierge team at concierge@thesurrey.com so that they may provide you with local dining and entertainment suggestions for your next visit. We have many local favorites within walking distance that you would be mist impressed with.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.