“First time guests - BEST hotel in NYC!”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #63 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“First time guests - BEST hotel in NYC!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had a work event in NYC and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to bring my 7-year old daughter for her first trip to New York.

Our room was amazing - so plush, clean and well appointed. They had cookies and milk waiting for us when we arrived in our room. My daughter was in heaven!

I have stayed at all the top hotels in NY (Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton most recently) and The Surrey is by far my favorite hotel! Small, intimate, the best location on the Upper East Side - it felt like our own apartment. The staff was amazing and greeted us by name. Also, we never heard anyone in the other rooms which is a huge plus.

We will sure be returning soon!!

Room Tip: South facing room on upper floor is quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank hilrehder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Excellent hotel, very helpful and friendly staff. Set in a residential area on Upper East Side, so wear comfy shoes for half hour walk to mid-town shopping.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank anna_stupples
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 April 2012

we were in NYC to celebrate our engagement, and prior to our trip, surrey management has contacted me to ask how our trip can be made better. when we arrived -- champagne and delicious cake was waiting for us at our room! the surrey also has the most comfortable bed ever -- it's like sleeping on clouds.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, ME
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I scoured the internet reviews on multiple websites before deciding which hotel to book. This was a splurge vacation, but well worth it! We spent 3 nights at the Surrey and were very happy with the overall experience. We found a great deal on a third party site and would not have otherwise been able to afford it.
We stayed in a standard room and were amazed at how large it was for NYC! Although a tub would have been nice, the shower was huge and beautiful. We ate breakfast there twice, and it was delicious though pricey.
The housekeeping staff did an amazing job at cleaning the room and turndown service was a treat with bottled water and chocolate-dipped madeleines, although we were expecting them to be homemade and fresh tasting. After trying one, we left them in the room. We realized later that they have the exact same cookie at Starbucks.
We would have liked a coffee pot and tea kettle, but there was coffee and tea available in the lobby during the early morning hours.
The location was perfect -- very close to the Park, which we walked through everyday. Also very close to the Met, the Whitney and the Guggenheim. Very close to the subway, as well as 5th and Madison for shopping. We explored lots of different areas of the city and were glad we could come back to the Upper East Side at night for a quiet night's sleep. Our room was extremely quiet and the only time we heard any noise was from someone in an adjoining room, but it was very brief and only once.
The bed was very comfortable, although the pillows were too plush/thick for my boyfriend. The room temperature was great and we were able to control that ourselves. Although we were not very high (8th floor) and did not have a view of anything other than the backs of other buildings, we were very happy with our room. We didn't come to the city to have a bedroom view. Maybe next time we'll upgrade and get a room overlooking the Park, but it certainly doesn't make or break the trip for us, especially if a higher price must be paid for a better view. We'd also love to try the Spa next time as it looked heavenly!
We would definitely return and hope to sooner rather than later.

2 Thank LSS13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I really enjoyed my stay. From the receptionist who gave me an early room and upgrade because I had a bit of the flu to the friendly doormen who always greeted you and seemed to care that you are being looked after.

The rooms where spotless, light and tastefully designed. The beds were very comfortable and gave me a great nights sleep with high end bedding. The phones were a bit out dated and annoying (e.g delay on dialling or if you dial too fast it skips numbers and one of the portable phones did not work at all).

The freebies in the bathroom were up to standard and the bathroom itself was beautiful even though I would have like higher pressure from the shower. Be warned that the standard rooms do not have a bath, but I shower so that is not an issue for me.

The room service although expensive is worth it. The food I had for breakfast was above and beyond what you would expect. Again they charge for wireless but you can connect up to 4 devices on the same charge.

The location is great, 1min from the park 10 mins to the Met Museum and 10 Mins to 5th ave for some major shopping. The local area is full of high end boutiques which are mostly on Madison Ave.

I will be returning at the next business/holiday opportunity I have. I believe if you want to tout a hotel as being a home away from home the devil is in the detail and my stay was close to flawless.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that our tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring custom Duxiana bedding and floor to ceiling Carrara marble bathrooms exceeded your expectations.

We agree that, indeed, “the devil is in the details,” and we strive to consistently intuit and execute seamlessly on every request. It is, especially pleasing to know that you were made to feel warm and welcome from the moment you arrived and throughout your stay.

I was especially proud that our team members touched your heart and soul with exceptional delivery. I regret that the portable phone in your room was malfunctioning and that the pressure of your shower was not as strong as you would have liked. Please forgive us for these service shortcomings.

We look forward to your return. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the Surrey for 3 nights before a cruise to the Caribbean from New Jersey. We used it as a base and didn't eat there; the breakfasts seemed quite expensive and there are loads of great diners in the area which give a great feel for the City.

The room was first rate and could not be faulted; comfortable, large beds with excellent bedding. A tea and coffee maker would not come in amiss however. The service in the hotel was attentive and discreet.

The hotel is well positioned for access to great shopping, and even better for the Whitney and Guggenheim galleries. We used taxis a lot and found the fares very reasonable. Ground Zero was very moving and is being made into a very appropriate memorial. The UN HQ is worth visiting as is Grand Central Station which is close by.

All in all, a great place to enjoy New York and prepare for our cruise. We can thoroughly recommend it. We'll be back to enjoy more of New York!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We were truly pleased that our central location and proximity to Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue was a highlight of your stay. We were also delighted that you enjoyed our unique design, tastefully appointed décor and our bespoke Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

We were especially proud that our exceptional levels of personalized and intuitive service was found to be attentive and discreet

Kindly please call me at 646.358.3605 when you plan your next trip to New York and I would be delighted to ensure a coffee maker is placed in your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Atlanta
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I have learned not to expect much these days from stays at so called trendy hotels. The Surrey lived up to that . I had a pleasant room with a great bed. The rest of the three day stay was a constant misstep on the smallest details. Simple details really. The kind of details that make this hotel fall into that been there done that kind of place. The location is excellent . My room was nice albiet beginning to show wear and tear. Bed and bedding were top notch, everything else fell below the mark of a great 5 star place.I am tempted to write a long account of all the stupid small issues that the management and their team seemed to overlook here. From check in to checkout somthing was always just off or done incorrectly.You rarely saw the same person behind the front desk, so confussion was always the issue . Im used to management writing replies to these type of postings so I am going to save them the trouble on this one. I finally grew tired of calling or coming to the front desk and speaking to a different person every time. I grew tired of dealing with trivial problems The Surrey has no excuse in allowing to occure over and over with a guest. At the end of the day I just did not care any longer, and it was amusing to see one stumble after another. I had a Pleasant time in NY and did not want to let this hotel ruin my stay......... So no need to appologise at this point , The 14 appologies over my three days were enough.

5 Thank Travelsouth1
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the unfortunate consistent missteps and disappointment you experienced during your stay with us.

Rest assured that in my follow up with our leadership team, including Mr Rene Roman, Director of Rooms; Mrs Marioara Sfera, Director of Housekeeping and Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of immediately in order to prevent inconveniences, future repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.