“Bed Bugs at The Surrey, NYC”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #80 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Bed Bugs at The Surrey, NYC”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is my second stay at The Surrey, a lovely boutique hotel on 76th at Madison. On my first stay, I couldn't have been happier but on my second stay, I left with bed bugs. I went to bed on a Monday night and when I woke up the next morning, I started scratching my ankle and realized I had been bitten. I went down to the front desk and spoke with Petar Krstic, Asst. Director of Front desk and showed him my bites. He told me the hotel takes this very seriously and while I was out fro the day, he would go through my room throughly. When I spoke to him later, he told me the hotel did not find a thing. Basically, he implied The Surrey was not the cause of my bites. The next day I found 3 bites on my arm, more bites on my foot and a giant bite on my neck. I was traveling with friends and they all saw me before and after my stat at The Surrey. There is not a doubt in my mind that I received these bites from The Surrey. In addition, my entire room charge was billed to my girlfriend's credit card (who was also staying there) by mistake. She tried for 4 days to rectify the situation and finally on the 4th day did they realize the hotel made the mistake. She was beyond frustrated. I'm sorry I have to write this because I thought I had a great new hotel to frequent as I visit NY approx. 4-5 times per year. I just felt "dismissed" by them and thought someone higher up than the front desk person would have contacted me before I checked out. Not happy and I'm still phantom scratching 8 days later......

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
18 Thank 35805Carol
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us. I was disappointed to learn that your recent visit did not exceed your expectations.

We commissioned a pest control company to conduct a proper inspection of the guestroom and it was determined that there was no presence of pests in our accommodation.

Please forgive us for the delay in addressing your service lapse in billing. Rest assured that Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office, has addressed it with his team and provided the required re-training in efforts to prevent such repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction.

I have reached out to you via telephone and e-mail and would very much welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you. I may be reached at 646-358-3605 and I look forward to hearing from you soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 nights and am very happy with the hotel. The location could not be better if you are a museum type. Steps away from the central park and the shopping. The ambiance is stylish and relaxed, the room was perfect and quiet. The only thing that could have been better was breakfast (very poor choice). That's why I gave 4 stars. Other than that, highly recommended!

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We were pleased that our tastefully appointed décor and accommodations exceeded your expectations and that you were most impressed with our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue.

We were disappointed to learn that your breakfast experience was not in keeping with your expectations. In my follow up with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager and Mr Gavin Kaysen, Executive Chef of Café Boulud, I have asked that we monitor the quality of our breakfast offerings in an effort to avoid future such guest dissatisfaction.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The best combination of luxury and comfort. In a fantastic location on the Upper East side near the Park, restaurants, shops, and with easy access to the whole city. Quiet, not "stuffy" or "fussy." Rooms spacious and nicely appointed...the bed in particular was soooo comfy. The rooftop garden is a rare gem in the City and there is a good gym and spa. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful (a special shout out goes to Opal). I stay in a lot of luxury properties, and it is really the "little" things that make a difference -just one example... they had towels, water bottles, and apples out in the lobby in the morning - perfect as I came in from my run in the park. Overall it was just a comfortable and easy stay and felt like an oasis of calm in the middle of the busy city. I look forward to returning on my next visit to NYC.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank travelfun
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that you appreciated the many customized touches that we have curated for our guests to ensure a memorable experience and that you have become such a fan of our Upper East Side gem.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our prime location, tastefully appointed and spacious accommodations, luxurious amenities and Private Roof Garden. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members were so successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

We appreciate your recognition and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just a few blocks away from the Whitney Museum, Gagosian Gallery, Frick Collection, Metropolitan Museum and Guggenheim, this hotel couldnt be better located. Central park at your back and Madison at your feet. Apart from that the hotel is super elegant, super high quality and discreet. No huge lobbies (like The Plaza) and no space to show off. As elegant as it can get.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank seeking-for-quality
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We were pleased to learn that our elegant lobby design by interior architect Lauren Rottet exceeded your expectations and that you were most impressed with our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue.

We sincerely appreciate your high praise of a discreet pied-à-terre and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2012

A small gem on a quiet block between Madison and Park, lovely rooms with contemporary English elegance and a consistently high level of service. A good value. Stayed because business associate recommended it-he is a regular and I understand why. I'll return!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Com100
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being such a loyal advocate to The Surrey. We were truly delighted to learn that you have become a fan of our Upper East Side gem and that our superior levels of service and prime location made for a most memorable, relaxing and enjoyable visit..

Our interior architect, Lauren Rottet intended for our design to evoke the ambiance of a residential townhouse that has evolved over time and we are truly delighted that our tastefully appointed décor has exceeded your expectations.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed last week at The Surrey and were so Impressed by the size of the room, how lovely it was, the amazing bed to lose yourself in and the pretty roof terrace. Very luxurious. Cafe boulud lacked atmosphere and the sidewalk tables were under scaffolding. But we'd definitely return. Next to Central Park for morning run. New Yorkers are fit and healthy and running and cycling like crazy. Lots of energy and beauty in CP. Very helpful front desk at hotel enabled us to make the most of our short stay.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank NettyPoole
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our proximity to Central Park to our tastefully appointed décor and spacious accommodations, featuring our bespoke Duxiana bedding.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members were so successful in touching your heart and soul despite your short stay.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Recently stayed at the Surrey and overall a really nice hotel. Rooms were spacious, clean and nicely appointed. Location is quiet for New York, proximity to Park is great and makes for a great weekend getaway. The vibe is sophisticated, hip and mellow. My only criticisms are:

1. The hotel needs more elevators but obviously due to the age of the building is never going to get them. Too often I had to wait a long time for the elevator to come. Likely more of an issue in summer when people are using the rooftop patio a lot.

2. Service and friendliness of the staff at the rooftop patio is not consistent with a hotel of this class, and quite frankly with the service provided in the rest of this hotel.

3. Breakfast at DB was underwhelming.

Overall, I would stay there again, I got a good rate, and its nice to get away from the more hectic mid town and central park south locations and the room really was great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter O
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were pleased that you were most impressed by our tranquil location with close proximity to Central Park as well as our spacious and tastefully appointed guest accommodations.

We regret that your Roof Garden experience was not in keeping with the rest of your experience at The Surrey. Rest assured Mr Raymond Goulbourne, Food & Beverage Manager has received this feedback in the spirit intended and will provide the re-training to his team to ensure consistency in our service levels. I have also shared your comments with Mr Gavin Kaysen, Executive Chef of Café Boulud and asked that we monitor the quality of our breakfast offerings in an effort to avoid future such guest dissatisfaction. Please forgive us for these service and product lapses and know that we will address to prevent such guest inconveniences.

We hope that these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and that you afford us the opportunity to regain your faith and restore your trust in us. Kindly, please call me to 646.358.3605 when your travel plans next bring you to New York City so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.