“Its the best”

The Surrey
Ranked #86 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is one of the best hotel I stayed in, it's one of the best hotels in New York.

Reception
Best possible service, helpful and not falsely exaggerated as it is sometimes among the U.S.. The lobby is perfect mix of cozy and trendy.

Rooms
Large and lovely, super nice, hotel corridor was very nice furnishings.

Bar
Rooftop really nice and the best service, the bar in the lobby, we did not tried to but it was nicely decorated.

The hotel gave us an incredible fine experience for all senses of how to deal with customers in a prof way.

In the area around 76th street is mighty cozy if you like UES, there are nice breakfast places nearby that such Sarabeth and Alice teacup chapter 111th

Will recommend this to anyone who wants to stay good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank EugenStockholm
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your rewarding and positive feedback from your recent stay with us.

The Surrey is indeed an oasis in the Upper East Side and we were truly pleased that you found our prime location, inspiring design, spacious and tastefully appointed accommodations to be the best in New York.

Our Roof Garden is reminiscent of an English garden and we are delighted that you enjoyed this private sanctuary.

However, it is our exceptional level of intuitive and personalized service that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service

There are newer reviews for The Surrey

Reviewed 21 August 2012

The Surrey is a once in a lifetime experience. Our Suite, spacious, impeccable, technology-driven and warm, in others words the suite was fabulous as were the amenities. The service was superb and unforgettable. The gracious staff just couldn't say no to our every request. One of the best I've experienced in any Hotel. The biggest draw was the rooftop garden - no words can express this peaceful delight over looking the City. The location was phenomenal 1/2 a block from Central Park and around the corner from all the great boutiques on Madison. Honestly our "BEST" Hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ktrbtw

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that you were most impressed by our superb location with close proximity to Central Park and the famed shopping of Madison Avenue.

We were thrilled that you felt at home in our tastefully appointed and spacious accommodations and that our team members were so successful in providing you with the gracious and intuitive service that we pride ourselves on resulting in a memorable and once in a lifetime experience.

Our Roof Garden is reminiscent of an English garden and we were pleased that you were able to enjoy the breathtaking views seen from this private sanctuary.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I spent a week in the Surrey and I must say I am impressed with what I was offered. Definitely one of the best and cleanest hotels I have been to in the last 8 years I've traveled to New York. The staff was nice and professional and the Upper East Side is a very nice, quiet and relaxing area in New York.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pay us such a tremendous compliment of being one of the best hotels in New York.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the tastefully appointed and pristine guest accommodation, to our tranquil Upper East Side location and most importantly, the gracious and professional service extended by our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Surrey and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My request for a a quiet room (not always easy to accomplish in New York, based on past experiences) was readily met, which certainly helped to make the stay enjoyable.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with what we found to be the ideal mix of "friendly, yet professional" (some might find it a bit casual, but we tend to prefer this to pomp and circumstance). The art that greets you is a treat too! Our corner room was spacious enough (room for a king bed, arm chair, small writing desk, armoire and yes, you can actually walk around the room too!). The bed was to die for; comfortable, lovely large pillows and good quality sheets/duvet. A decent size bathroom (no tub in the salon room we stayed in), with marble finish and plenty of towels, etc. Wifi is available for a fee (even in the business centre?!), which was a disappointment.

Upon arrival, we went for a drink on the rooftop patio. Service was good and the view of all the beautiful art deco buildings on the upper east side was a treat. Drinks are on the pricey side (cocktails start at 18$) but frankly, I could barely finish mine (it was ample!). If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of options for bar food, but perhaps they do this to encourage guests to dine in the restaurant or order room service. We did order room service for dinner and it was average (in terms of price and quality). It did arrive promptly and all the accoutrements were included, but the food itself was lacklustre (a bit bland, not so sure about the use of processed cheese slices on our sandwich).

I have to sing the praises of housekeeping. They did an absolutely phenomenal job with the room, both for the morning cleaning and turn down service. We were always well stocked with toiletteries, water, towels, etc. The room was spotless for the duration of our stay.

Location wise, potential guests who are not familiar with the city should be aware it's a relatively quiet area at night. There is a bar in the hotel ( Bar Pleiades...we did not check it out) or alternately, you are right across the street from Bemelmens at the Carlyle. The hotel is a couple blocks from the subway station (although only the 6 line runs through the area) which is an easy and affordable way to get around (30$ gets you an unlimited 7 day pass) or, of course, you can always use cabs. Central park is a few blocks away and you are very close to plenty of museums, great shopping, etc.

We would suggest this hotel to people (we saw a mix of guests-older couples, young people, families) who are looking to be close enough to the hustle and bustle of the city without being right in the centre of it. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EvaMay1234
Reviewed 15 August 2012

For a 5 star, traveller's choice award recipient, I expected excellence in every category.
Unfortunately there were a few small service issues that left our experience short of how the hotel is rated.

The good:
-the suite itself was absolutely terrific. Top notch decor and furnishings, and a great view (could see the park from both sets of windows).
-the rooftop was a great place to have a drink upon returning to the hotel from dinner out
-proximity to Central Park

The shortcomings:
-ran into a concierge and asked where to get some ice so that we could have a pre-dinner drink. I was informed that 'we bring that to you. I'll have some brought up right away'. A 1/2 hour later there was no sign of it, so I called down, and was told it would be right up. Another 1/2 later it still hadn't arrived so I grabbed the ice bucket and went to the front desk to get it myself in person. It seemed like I was breaking the rules because I decided to come and get it in person (I have no qualms at all about getting my own ice, but I had pretty much been told that was their job).
-we were offerred our choice of newspaper(s) for the following morning. They never came.
-we asked to have breakfast on the patio outside at the restaurant since it was a lovely day, and were told we couldn't. No reason - tables were out, chairs were out; just 'we don't serve breakfast outside'.
-some of the desk staff are over-the-top, phony courteous. Maybe their average client likes that borderline sniveling approach? I suppose it is better than being rude or indifferent, but if you can't back it up with flawless actual service, it becomes pretentious and condescending.

Honestly, we had nothing that would be called a major issue, and the suite itself really was wonderful. One just expects a five star, highly touted hotel to be pretty much flawless in every way (especially service), and I'd have to say when it comes to little things, it came up a bit short. At a service level, we had better from one of their sister properties (4-star Affinia Shelburne), during our preceding three nights.

Room Tip: As with all rooms in NYC, aim for a high floor and ask for a view. We had both - great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jeffintoronto

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We were pleased to learn that our Private Roof Garden, inspiring design and tastefully appointed accommodations exceeded your expectations.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the service lapses and disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. In my follow up with Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office and Ms Marioara Sfera, Director of Housekeeping, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of with great precision and in a timely manner in order to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

I have also shared your comments as it relates to patio seating with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud, so that he may address to ensure consistent service levels.

We hope that these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and that you afford us the opportunity to regain your faith and restore your trust in us. Kindly, please call me to 646.358.3605 when your travel plans next bring you to New York so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed at the Surrey based on an AmEx special. Upper East Side less than a block from the park and a couple of blocks to high end shopping. There was a small problem with my reservation- called the hotel the night before and reservations tells me "you're out of luck- the only way we can accommodate you now is if you upgrade to our suite at $1050/night". Long pause "Um, excuse me??". Well, called the manager who fixed it right up. Staff VERY nice, room was gorgeous. Concierge was condescending (I'm starting to think they all are). Great hotel if that is where you want to be but The London is a better stay if you want to be in the middle of the action (not everyone does!).

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank BenzBoy007
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We were pleased to learn that our tastefully appointed accommodations and prime location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping exceeded your expectations.

I regret to learn that your reservation experience was less than perfect. In my follow up with Mr Patrick Cheeseman, Corporate Director of Reservations, I have stressed the importance of providing our guests with a warm, welcoming and seamless reservation experience. I was pleased that our Front Office leadership were able to recover and restore your faith in us despite a less than perfect start.

I have also shared your comments with Ms Lorena Ringoot, Chef Concierge so that she may provide her team with additional training in an effort to avoid future repeat occurrences. This is certainly not indicative of the gracious service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

We hope that these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and that you afford us the opportunity to regain your faith and confidence in us. Kindly, please call me to 646.358.3605 when your travel plans next bring you to New York City so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Chose this hotel for the first time for its proximity to my early meetings--and was not disappointed in any way. Their own website's 'best rate promise' beat my Platinum American Express travel agent by $80/night. Excellent location; generous sized "regular" room with all luxury appointments I would expect for a much higher rate. But the true winner here is the obviously superb service management philosophy. Had a minor issue that could have been catastrophic to my stay--but manager Jose Lema and housekeeping manager to the rescue and immediately ensured a prompt recovery. Lema made me feel he was personally engaged and involved in my complete satisfaction. Kudos to Lema and the general management of this hotel for exemplary customer service.

Room Tip: Do not miss the charming green roof top bar.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MT1075
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that you appreciated the many customized touches that we have curated for our guests to ensure a memorable experience and that you have become such a fan of our Upper East Side gem.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our tastefully appointed and spacious accommodations and luxurious amenities. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that Mr Jose Lema, Director of Guest Relations and Ms Andrea Giddings, Housekeeping Manager were so successful in recovering you and making you feel warm and welcome.

We are humbled by your high praise and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.