“Worth the price tag”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Worth the price tag”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Ultra Luxury accommodations in one of the best locations in NYC. Steps away from Central Park and off of Park Avenue, the warm welcome and impeccable service is noteworthy. We were upgraded to a suite which was bigger than most apartments in the city. I don't know how they kept fresh ice in our ice bucket. The toiletries were custom produced and a combination of citrus I had never smelled before. The bar is also a great stop for a drink while waiting for friends. I loved the complimentary nut tray, very nice touch. Pricey, but worth the splurge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Miamethyst
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our central location, to our customized Laura Tonatto bath amenities and our tastefully appointed suite accommodations.

We concur that the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades make for a most enjoyable start to an night out on the town. However, it is the exceptional level of intuitive and personalized service that we provide that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that we were successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Let’s just start of this review with an enormous THANK YOU! Our stay could not have been more perfect and we had the absolute best time. I had surprised my husband with a weekend in NYC for his birthday and had a handful of requests for our room upon our arrival all surrounding the delivery of some Magnolia’s goods! Jose, the Director of Guest Services, was amazing. He gave me his cell phone so that I could give him a heads up upon on our arrival to make sure everything was set – there was a slight panic moment when he let me know that the goodies had yet to arrive, but told me not to worry because he had placed an amenity on the hotels behalf in our room just in case (2 insanely delicious chocolate cupcakes with Happy Birthday written on them!)! That, in my eyes, is going above and beyond and I was just thrilled (our order did end up being delivered before our arrival, so the hubs was doubly spoiled with sweets!). They were also incredibly accommodating with our request of a later check-out as the US Open had been delayed the day before and was being carried over to Sunday – we had brought our dog along so it wasn’t as simple as leaving our bags at the hotel while we went to the last match! That just made our day and allowed us to fully enjoy and take in the whole US Open experience.

I feel like I need to continue on with examples of their incredible service, so bear with me for a short while longer! I was waiting outside the hotel for about 15min after we had called to have our car pulled up as we were getting ready to leave – when I inquired with one of the bell men if it was on its way, he told me that it typically takes 15-20 minutes, but that he would walk over to the garage himself and go check on it….and off he went! He could have been smack dab in the middle of something (it was quite busy at the time), but didn’t hesitate to help me out one bit. It was so appreciated!!!

The staff was incredible, the rooms were gorgeous, and the location could not get any better (especially if you bring your pup along – Central Park is a block away!). Unfortunately due to our busy weekend schedule and the rain, we weren’t able to take advantage of the rooftop bar, spa, or the restaurant, but I’m not too worried about that as we will most certainly be guests at The Surrey again very soon…..cheers!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Whitney D
Milano
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed 6 days at The Surrey on August 2012. The hotel is located in the uppereast (76th St.) side of Manhattan between the Fifth and Madison Av, close to Central Park and the so called Museum mile. The neighbourhood is very quiet and luxorious but as far as restaurants are concerned it's not the best option.
The hotel is a cozy boutique with works of art embellishing every corner of the hotel (according to Hotel website there are 30-million worth works of art!) and the rooms are quite spacious (it seems that Manhattan rooms are generally small) with high level furniture and Pratesi robes.
Notwithstanding to the above I would not recommend this hotel for the following reasons:
1) Firstly the receptionist assigned us a 3rd floor room with a fantastic wall/ building air conditioning engine view. I understand I did not book a suite (we stayed in a "Salon" room) but a 300/night Luxury 5* just cannot propose such a poor view.
2) the cleaning of the room was not sufficient. the 3rd day I could write my name on my nighttable;
3) everynight I had to ask the reception new bathrobe/new shower gel since the cleaning ladies forgot to provide new one.
5* hotels should pamper clients and make them feel like home. The Surrey didn't.
NEEEEEEEEEEEXT!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from 314!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Josephus_80
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit.

We were pleased to learn that you were most impressed with our inspiring design, one-of-a kind art collection and spacious guest accommodations despite the unfortunate consistent missteps and disappointment you experienced during your stay with us.

Rest assured that in my follow up with our leadership team, including Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office and Mr Jose Lema, Director of Guest Relations, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guestroom appointments are in keeping with our guests preferences and expectations. I have also addressed the consistent replenishment of guest amenities with Ms Marioara Sfera, Director of Housekeeping, in order to prevent future such repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction.

It is our mission to pamper and cater to our guests and I am very sorry that we failed to do so with you. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed here for the labour day long weekend in a corner Grand Deluxe Suite on the 10th floor with a view of 76th Street/Madison.
First time we have stayed in Manhattan and chose this hotel/location given the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed rather pleasantly surprised. Great hotel, amazing location, great rooms, extremely clean and great service.
We used the concierge a few times to make restaurant reservations as well as an appointment at a nearby hair salon and all the recommendations were great.
All of the positive features of the hotel have been mentioned many times on this site.
The Fitness Center has not been mentioned very often. It is located on the 2nd floor and is very nice for a boutique hotel. 2 bikes, 1 treadmill and 2 ellipticals along with some weight machines, free weights and yoga mats/balls. We worked out here and did get a great workout in one morning.
We also used the concierge to direct us to the boat rental center in Central park. It is a 7 minute walk from the front door of the hotel and is a great way to spend some time in NY. Highly recommended.
We also went to Dean and Deluca for breakfast a couple of times. It is 10 blocks from the hotel and was a great option for coffee and breakfast on the go.
We had a great time in NYC and are looking to come back at least once a year and will definitely come back to The Surrey in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ridgesas
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed in the Surrey for the first 5 nights of our honeymoon. It was everything we had hoped for. We were welcomed by the most pleasant staff we have encountered in NYC. Koko and Pablo were especially helpful. The room was luxurious with tasteful, modern, classy decor. Spotlessly clean, with THE most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. It also had an amazing shower, again the best shower I have ever had. Luxury robes included. We could not fault the room one bit.

On our first night we ate in Cafe Boulud, the Hotels Michelin star restaurant. It was a fantastic meal. The scallops and suckling pig were especially memorable. We had it with a nice champagne and enjoyed the flow of freshly baked bread. Upon leaving I asked Koko were the nearest shop was as we needed some essentials. He asked what we needed and had them delivered to our room instead... along with a complimentary bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our special occasion.

For the remainder of our stay we passed in and out, were always remembered and chatted to by staff, though never overly so. It was in no way intrusive or excessive.

We had a couple of cocktails on the terrace bar which was also very pleasant experience. Great views and just a nice chilled place to be in NYC.

Overall the Surrey provided us with just what we needed on our honeymoon. To be made to feel special whilst maintaining our privacy, in a beautiful, clean, modern environment with friendly and helpful staff that seemed to enjoy and value their work and the guests they encountered.

I don't normally review on Tripadvisor but seeing as I have not one single complaint about The Surrey I felt it was a good time to start.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David C
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We have stayed at the Surry New York 4 times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are fantastic and top quality and the people are so nice. We are always greeted with respect and now people remember our names. We especialy like Koko, Dwayne, Simeon and Michael at the concierge.
Our relative had surgery at the HSS and eventhough the Helmsley is closer the quality was worth the trip from the Surrey.
We are coming back in November and we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. We like the King Delux with the bigger walk in shower.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ScopeDRK
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your most recent stay with us. It makes us very proud to learn you have become a loyal guest of The Surrey and that you continue to be impressed by our spacious and tastefully appointed accommodations.

We pride ourselves on the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues and I was proud to learn we were successful in achieving this with you. I have personally thanked Mr. Michael Bordenick, Les Clefs d’Or Concierge as well as our Bellmen, Mr. Koko Latt; Mr. Dwayne Smith and Mr. Simeon Saint-Val, for touching your heart and soul.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Los Gatos, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed her with my mom and daughter and was very pleased! I've stayed in a lot of NYC hotels, and this is a favorite. The location was great for getting around and so easy to get anywhere in NYC with a close subway stop. I liked the size of the hotel- not too big but still bustling with people and energy, and then also quiet at night.
I'm a stickler for comfortable beds and nice showers- both were great.
I didn't see too many kids there, but they treated mine very well. Definitely an upper east-side experience with a lot of fine dining and older-set crowd. (comparing it to LES and Soho), but a really nice location for enjoying this part of town. I felt like a resident and less like a tourist. Everyday we walked with my 3 year old to Central Park which was so nice to do. They have a great park near the closest entrance, and the zoo is pretty near as well. Seraphinas pizza was also a frequent stop since its kids friendly and popular for all ages- its down the street from the hotel.
All the staff was pleasant and sweet, always wanting to help. Highly recommend if you aren't looking to be around the bustling streets and trendy areas.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Juhls524
Dear Guest,

We were truly delighted to learn that you have become a fan of our Upper East Side gem and that our central location with close proximity to Central Park made for a most memorable, relaxing and enjoyable visit for all three generations.

Our interior architect, Lauren Rottet intended for our design to evoke the ambiance of a residential townhouse that has evolved over time and we are truly delighted that our tastefully appointed décor and accommodations, featuring bespoke Duxiana bedding, have exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our colleagues were so successful in making you, your mother and daughter feel warm and welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.