“Doing the right thing in Manhatten”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #77 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“Doing the right thing in Manhatten”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The Surrey is a classy hotel just a block away from Central Park. Staff and comfort levels were all first class. On our first night we had an unfortunate incident when another guest, either drunk or deranged but definitely naked, was knocking on our door. I called security and the hotel staff immediately addressed the situation and also upgraded us to a better room on another floor - they responded well. Both rooms we stayed in had views out the back onto services and air con units so this was disappointing but the roof garden, one of the reasons we booked this hotel, was also closed and under renovation. There is a nice bar and restaurant on the ground floor serving good quality wine. Forget the wine in minibar - I paid $28 for the worst sauvignon blanc I have ever tasted. All in all this hotel has all the right feel for Manhatten and has a great location apart from the small issues above we had a great stay..

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the street view if it is possible
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GingerCheetah
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We were pleased to learn that our prime location with close proximity to Central Park exceeded your expectations.

I regret to learn that your experience was less than perfect. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I was pleased to learn that our team members were successful in recovering you and ensuring your comfort for the remainder of your stay.

We are disappointed that you were not able to enjoy our Private Roof Garden; however, are pleased that you were able to revel in the award winning dining at Café Boulud and the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically review our pricing strategy for honor bar services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Wirral
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My wife and I are just back from a 5 day trip to NYC. We chose the Surrey after extensive research and are so glad we did; the whole experience was just superb. We’ve stayed in plenty of nice hotels before but I rarely post reviews on Trip Advisor; the Surrey was so good that it’s got me to write only my second review.

The Surrey’s location is perfect; right by Central Park (which is just amazing, especially in October as the leaves change colour) and only a few blocks from the all-important subway. The hotel is large enough to have all the facilities you could wish for, but small enough to deliver impeccable service in a genuinely warm way. Whenever we returned to the Surrey after a day exploring this amazing city we always felt like we were coming home. Every staff member, on every occasion, without exception, was friendly, welcoming and professional.

Others have commented that parts of the hotel are covered in scaffolding whilst the externals are given the same makeover that has been so effectively applied to the interior. When we arrived after a flight from Heathrow we were so disappointed that our carefully chosen room, with its own terrace, had the view obstructed by scaffolding. This could have led to a quite different review, but the situation was more than salvaged by the quite exceptional service provided by Michael Dunbar, the Director of Front Office. Michael personally took charge of the situation and upgraded us to a suite with a view of Central Park; altogether a nicer room than the one we had booked. Although the resolution was entirely to our satisfaction, it was the way that Michael dealt with it that so impressed; the empathy and desire to please guests was so obviously genuine.

This attitude seems to be instilled in every employee; I don’t know whether they hire them like this or train them up, but either way they have the service ethos down to perfection.

I’m no expert in the NYC hotel scene, but I believe that the Surrey bedrooms are large in comparison to most. They are stylishly furnished, the bathrooms are fantastic with huge baths and the best showers we’ve ever experienced. And then the beds – magical. I believe that the Dux beds cost around $20,000 each, and all I can say is – they’re worth it. We’ve never before found a bed that comes close to our home bed for comfort, but we have at the Surrey.

Whilst the Upper East Side isn’t the busiest part of town, it’s busy enough for traffic noise to potentially be a problem, but up on the 15th floor we were blissfully unaware of the traffic below. It was a very peaceful place to sleep.

We didn’t have time to fit in a spa treatment, but the reviews are so good we’d be tempted to cross the Atlantic for this alone. We did visit Bar Pleiades for pre-dinner drinks and it was most agreeable; beautifully furnished and buzzing even in the early evening.

We ate breakfast at Café Boulud and were underwhelmed; pleasant enough, but overpriced. We also had dinner there twice and again were a little disappointed. The atmosphere and décor are not of the same standard as the rest of the hotel, and the service was a little more detached and aloof. The food was good, but not exceptional, and the prices reasonable for a Michelin-starred place. Room service breakfast was close to perfection, beautifully cooked and served and always exactly on time.

The Surrey isn’t cheap, and yes charging extra for wifi is an irritation, but it is a superb hotel with impeccable service in a great location. Next time in NYC, we’ll be going back to the Surrey.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter; some rooms on the west side have views of Central Park and are also away from Mad...
2 Thank Stuart K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us.

We were pleased to learn that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring our custom Duxiana bedding, Sferra linens and luxurious Laura Tonatto bath amenities exceeded your expectations and that you were most impressed with our prime location and superior levels of personalized service. We pride ourselves on the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues and I was proud to learn that Mr. Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office was successful in achieving this with you.

We concur that the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades and intuitive design makes for a most memorable experience; we were disappointed that your Café Boulud experience was not in keeping with your expectations. Rest assured we have shared your comments with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud in efforts to prevent future guest dissatisfaction. Please accept my sincere and humble apologies for a less than perfect experience.

We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically review our pricing strategy for our internet services.

Indeed, Cornelia Spa at The Surrey is an oasis and we look forward to welcoming you home again so you may enjoy this luxurious sanctuary. In the interim, we remain at your service.

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I never write reviews, but I feel compelled to write this review. I have been staying here regularly for work. The hotel staff is very friendly and the beds are comfortable.

Unfortunately, outrageously loud construction is conducted on the building beginning at 9 am every day. That's not all--there is often street construction conducted on the building at all hours of the night (last night they worked from 10 pm through 6 am), and the workers may show up on scaffolding outside your window at any time.

If you plan to stay here in the fall or winter of 2012, I'd strongly recommend looking elsewhere. The construction turns what should be a great experience into a terrible one.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank Jeff H
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the frustration and annoyance you experienced due to external noise pollution during your stay with us. Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously and are disheartened to disappoint a loyal guest such as yourself. I sincerely hope that we have not lost your loyalty and that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and trust in us.

I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back and ask that you please call me directly at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York. In the interim, I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I'm never happier than when I am in the Big Apple, but I had never stayed right on Central Park before. When thus hotel describes itself as on the edge of the park, it really means it. The people that work in this hotel are so lovely. Nothing ever seemed to be a problem, and they really bent over backwards to make us feel happy during our NYC holiday. The highlight must be the spa though - quite extraordinary. If you go to this hotel and don't try the spa, you are a crazy person. Definitely get the in-room bartender too. We had a mini party in the room which he came to, and he really made it twice as entertaining. 10/10 for the Surrey.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FasterCyrusKillKill
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that you were most impressed by our central location, with close proximity to Central Park and most importantly, the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues.

We are truly delighted that you were able to enjoy our luxurious Cornelia Spa at The Surrey and exclusive In-Room Cocktail Program, where your personal mixologist prepares your first round and leaves you to revel in your classic concoction.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 October 2012

After extensive research on the internet, we decided to book an Ultra Deluxe Suite at The Surrey for our recent vacation in NYC. On their website it asked for special requests, and we also stated our preference for a higher floor, fearing a lot of street noise. Upon arrival we were shown to a room on the 16th floor which had all of the main windows entirely covered by scaffolding and netting. We were told not to worry, that the construction workers did not start until 9 AM. Looking around the room we also noted that there was no bath tub and only one sink. Since the "Ultra Deluxe Suite" category specified both a soaking tub and two sinks, we called the desk to ask if there had been a mistake in our room assignment since it did not appear to be correct. We were moved to a room on the 5th floor which did have a much nicer bathroom and bathtub, however the view was beyond disappointing. After feeling that we were staying in someone's basement apartment for three days we decided to leave the Surrey and go stay at the Mark Hotel, one block away. We stayed three days at the Surrey, and were simply not happy with the room that we had and no one at the front desk was particularly cooperative when we complained about it. We were told that all the Ultra Deluxe Suites are different....so some do not have bathtubs. They should say that when you book the room.

The Mark Hotel is in a class far above the Surrey. There is absolutely no comparison in our opinion. The Mark has gorgeous design that makes the Surrey look like a student project. The bedding, bathroom design, light filled rooms and automated window shades at the Mark were all super. In our earlier research on hotels we saw several reviews on this site and others that led us to believe that the two hotels were quite comparable: Well, they are not! In the future we will be staying at the Mark.

Room Tip: If you book an Ultra Deluxe Suite be sure to specify that you expect a bathtub and two sinks. If yo...
9 Thank Tarkington B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us.

We were truly disappointed that your arrival experience was less than perfect and that our suite accommodations did not meet your expectations. In my follow up with Mr Joe Gaeta, Area Director of Sales & Marketing, I have asked that we correct our error and update our site so that we may avoid future such repeat occurrences.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced throughout your visit. Rest assured we take your valuable comments in the spirit intended and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence and trust in us.

We hope that you consider returning to The Surrey and I ask that you please please call me at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York so that I may personally ensure your preferences are honored. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was my first time staying at The Surrey and it was lovely. The room was comfortable, the staff friendly and attentive and the Cafe Boulud delicious. Unfortunately the roof top bar was closed for the season but the bar off the lobby was pleasant. We will be back!

Room Tip: The street is quite noisy so the higher the better.
3 Thank KellyinHR
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our tastefully appointed accommodations, to the award winning gastronomy of Café Boulud to and most importantly, the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a warm and genuine service delivery and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating a most memorable birthday celebration for you and your guests.

We were disappointed that you were unable to enjoy our Private Roof Garden as we have closed for the season. We will re-open in the Spring of 2013 and hope that you will then have the opportunity to experience the innovative libations and breathtaking views seen from this private sanctuary.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next birthday celebration at The Surrey...making it a yearly tradition. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We are absolutely in love with this hotel and especially their mattresses. We felt like we were sleeping on clouds. This is hands down my favorite hotel in NYC. I highly recommend this for a relaxing, comfortable stay and sleep. Great, cool location too. My husband and I both enjoyed it very much! We plan to return here when we visit soon again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Honeymoonersandstars
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us and for the recognition of being a “your favorite hotel in New York City.”

We were pleased that our tranquil Upper East Side location exceeded your expectations and that you were able to enjoy our luxurious sleep experience featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

We sincerely appreciate your high praise and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service