“we hoped for better”

The Surrey
Ranked #86 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2013

it was too hot and 2 staff members were unsuccessful in cooling it. We needed to call 2 times for ice on one of the hottest days. Concierge did not get requested tickets to museum. It is a lovely hotel with nice staff and good food but the bed and pillows were not that comfortable besides that it was too warm I await the reason concierge failed the one task requested.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the frustration that you experienced in regards to the temperature in your guest accommodation. I have spoken with Mr Dave Stewart, Director of Engineering in efforts to prevent future such occurrences.

I am truly sorry that our Concierge team did not deliver on your request for museum tickets. Rest assured that your feedback has been received in the spirit intended. We have reviewed this incident with our entire Concierge team to ensure all guest requests are fulfilled and delivered in a timely manner without any such gaps.

These shortfalls are certainly not typical of us and we are sincerely dismayed to disappoint a guest such as yourself. I would welcome the chance to speak with you further regarding your experience and may be reached at (646) 358-3605.

There are newer reviews for The Surrey

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I took my daughter who had just turned 16 and completed her first set of state exams. She deserved a treat and her first ever visit to New York and staying at The Surrey was the treat. I had chosen The Surrey due to its proximity to the Park, its small, luxurious, understated nature and the reports of wonderful staff. It lived up to expectation in all regards. The room was amazing. I have not slept better since. Great beds, blackout curtains that work, a shower to die for. Special thanks must go to the concierges who were so very helpful and seamlessly could advise on all manner of things.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank regular66

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us. I was pleased to learn that your daughter had a memorable experience…especially on her first ever visit to New York.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park exceeded your expectations. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our luxurious sleep experience featuring custom Duxiana bedding, as well as our bathrooms featuring glass-enclosed showers with Waterworks fixtures.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service extended by our colleagues and I was proud to learn that our team members, especially our Concierge team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at the Surrey so that I could be close to Lenoxhill Hospital. My stay was amazing even though I only spent about 6-7 hours a day there! ANYONE coming to NYC should experience this,charming, elegant hotel. Thank you.
Bette Scott

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ms. Bette S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience. We love being referred to as a charming and elegant hotel.

We are truly delighted that our Upper East Side location with close proximity to Lenox Hill Hospital exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

It was my dream to visit New York city and after a week of no sleep staying near Time Square it was a pleasure to go to this wonderful hotel.
My friend and I arrived early however it was no problems for the wonderful staff who checked us in and gave us a upgrade to a suite which was beyond words,
The service from every staff member given to us was up and beyond but Koko was fantastic with his knowledge of where to get a decent coffee, directions and I loved having a chat with him. Koko is a asset to the hotel and he was one of the reasons the stay was a dream come true. A big thank you to all the staff and Koko

The bedding and pillows gave me the best nights sleep since I got to New York and if you want a room with enough room for all your New York shopping this is the place. The bathroom has one of the biggest bathtubs and I felt like a Queen of NYC soaking in the tub after a big day out.
The location is right near all the amazing museums and the Met which should be on every traveller's list when they visit. It fantastic to wake up refreshed and walking through Central Park instead of the traffic of Midtown was a highlight of each morning
I have been recommending this property and the staff to all my co workers and passengers who I book as it suites couples,friends ,honeymooners ,business clients and upmarket clients.
Thank you for a stay that has stayed in my memory and I hope to come back and visit

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank meshelle78

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most generous feedback from your recent experience.

We concur that our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping is one of our best attributes.

We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with the gracious and warm service extended by Mr Koko Latt, Bellman. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating a most memorable experience.

We were pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suite accommodations and that our custom Duxiana bedding made for such an enjoyable night’s sleep. I was also delighted that the bathroom featuring a large soaking tub exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We have had some positive experiences and then a few times of really negative experiences. We decided to give it a try as our usual spot was booked. The manager gave us a nice room on a high floor and send fruit and water to us which was a very nice touch.
We will use it again as the room was nice and house keeping did a good job.
The weak link I think is room service. Maybe because it is part of cafe boulud and it's not their primary concern. My husband ordered two glasses of wine for us and the person on the phone wasn't helpful and it took about 40 minutes to arrive. PS the two glasses were $50. after tip and taxes.
The rooms are good and very clean, nice amenities and the BED AMAZING!!DUX beds!
I think stay for the location, just go up the block for great coffee and pastries at Sant Ambroeus..or in opposite direction a coffee shop called Three Guys! Then you won't have to deal with room service and can just enjoy the hotel and the very nice staff!

Room Tip: above floors that have construction!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Guest,

We are truly delighted that you returned to The Surrey for your most recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We are pleased that our well-appointed guest accommodations with custom-designed Duxiana beds exceeded your expectations, and that you continue to enjoy our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to world-class dining and cultural attractions.

Despite these highlights, I regret to learn that your experience with our In-Room Dining service was not a positive one. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, genuine and expedient service delivery; and I sincerely apologize that your experience fell short of expectation. Rest assured your feedback has been received in the spirit intended, and I will be sure to share your comments with Ms Priscilla Kyle, Food and Beverage Manager, to avoid future such occurrences.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel has a lot of potential, but it is poorly run and poorly maintained. The rooms smell and are shabby. The hotel relies on its location alone. Its staff is poorly trained and incompetent. Management is unreponsive to complaints. Go to The Carlyle or The Mark if you want this location. Stay away!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Davis P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies that your recent experience with us was not a positive one. Rest assured we take your feedback very seriously and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence and trust in us.

I welcome the opportunity to learning more about the details of your experience and may be reached at (646) 358 3605. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Very good hotel, well located at the very best and elegant neighborhood in New York, close to Met, Guggenhein and Central Park. Good rooms and restaurant. Unfortunately the roof was not open due to a remodeling, but this place is really a very good choice for a pleasant stay in New York.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Otavioneves
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent experience.

We are truly delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park and Museum Mile exceeded your expectations.

I was disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced the closure of our Private Roof Garden due to our historical preservation efforts. We will be opening our garden for the season early August, and should your travels bring you back to New York this Summer, I hope you will be able to take advantage of this signature Surrey feature.