“Great NY hotel experience”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #80 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Great NY hotel experience”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

First time at The Surrey. Renovated rooms are great and service is above average. Good location on Upper East Side in close proximity to Central Park and lots of retail. Normally stay in brand name hotels closer to midtown, but this is much better and offers some character, which I expect in NY. It's 11:30 PM and this is by far the quietest hotel room I've ever had in NYC. No sirens, no horns honking and no delivery trucks. Stayed on 12th floor but don't think you have to go that high to escape the noise.

• Stayed September 2013
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your first experience at The Surrey on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased that your accommodations on the 12th floor exceeded your expectations from our inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the tranquil ambiance.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping.

Thank you for acknowledging our exemplary service delivery and I am pleased that our team members provided you with personalized, warm and gracious service throughout your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC and The Surrey was simply exceptional.
The staff is competent and efficient. The locations is perfect - close to Central Park and lots of great little shops on Madison Ave.
Super clean, very quiet and the decor was pleasing and relaxing.
Will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ldjsue
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as our tranquil Upper East Side location just steps from Central Park with close proximity to the boutiques on Madison Avenue.

I am proud to learn that we were successful in providing you with efficient and gracious service throughout your stay with us.

Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed 16 September 2013

So when in NYC finding the right size hotel can be difficult. Most have a room the size of a peanut. Most cater to a quantity of people rather than the quantity of space. Face it - when the average flat is as small as the NY population lives in, a 300 square foot hotel room seems big. Our room is of a nice size and my wife and I had two small couches with a table in between. The room has a full stocked bar like a minibar and a sitting table with a mirror so the size is nice. The bath has two sinks and a large shower with water pressure a fireman would appreciate. The pressure might blow of any loose skin but no one likes a wimpy shower. The decor is exceptionally nice and the staff is extremely helpful. I love the bar and restaurant and the usuals for a five star hotel are there - choice of paper, coffee free in the AM and 24 hour service. The location is outstanding. It is a little off the noisy time square but near the park and a walk to the fast moving area at Central Park South. Even more convenient is the diversity of three blocks over to 2nd Avenue where we found $3 beer and a football game on Sunday. I've stayed here now three times and each has been enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheKeeneGuy
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location just steps from Central Park with close proximity to the bars on 2nd Avenue and the offerings near Central Park South.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations featuring our honor bar, seating area and multi-use desk as well as our bathrooms with oversized glass enclosed showers and double sinks. We concur that we have amazing water pressure and continue to receive positive feedback on our shower experience.

I am thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations from the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members to the amenities available to all of our guests.

We are also happy that you had the opportunity to experience the culinary delights of Michelin Star Café Boulud and the innovative libations of Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

We truly appreciate your continued patronage to The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed at The Surrey recently for a week. Understated elegance. Service exceptional, particularly Lubna, a concierge and the lovely lady who checked me in and out. Service to me is the most important thing.

No airs and graces here, everyone treated the same. Quiet, exclusive area, just be prepared to pay for the experience. I have been to New York a few times, - this time was exceptional.

Only down side - noise from building works from as early as 6.30am. It's New York - get over it.

Much love and hope to return again one day.

Room Tip: 901 noisy from building work, 6th floor noisy from generator
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulinePoppyWoodrow
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location.

I am so proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations with the genuine, gracious and personalized service provided by our entire team, most notably Ms Lubna Datchler, Concierge and Ms Opal Glover in Guest Services. I have shared your feedback with our entire team who were thrilled by your most gracious praises.

I am sorry that your first experience to The Surrey coincided with the emergency utility work on Madison Avenue that created excessive noise pollution. I am confident that your return visit with us will be tranquil.

New York
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My stay at the Surrey was a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and always made me feel I was truly a welcomed guest at a great hotel. I loved the location, artwork and interiors. The food and overall service were outstanding. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank jeanniebennett
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Ms Bennett,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent experience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location as well as our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and art collection, which we consider one of our most special features.

I concur that the culinary offerings of Michelin Star Café Boulud are wonderful.

I am also pleased that we exceeded your expectations with the warm, personalized and genuine service provided by our team members. I am so proud that we were successful in making you feel welcome at The Surrey.

New York
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the surrey this summer and overall really enjoyed our stay.

Let's start with the lobby, doormen and front desk staff. Everyone was sooo friendly, they remembered our name (and I am guessing it was a full house) and were so accommodating to everything. We had an 8th month old with us and they made our stay really easy! The last day, our flight wasn't taking off until 10p and we were given access to a private room to change, play with the baby and keep our luggage. Also, as a former resident of Manhattan, I must attest that the bathrooms are a lot bigger than you will find in other 5 star hotels in NY. The room itself was bigger than expected as well. The location isn't prime, in the center of things, but that was exactly what we were looking for. We didn't want to be in the middle of hordes of tourists!

My only complaints were that the walls were super thin. Given we used to live in NY, we invited some friends over for a game night (we have a baby) and one of the neighbors complained twice about the noise level. They were acting like we were rock stars trashing the place. But I guess the blame goes to the age of the building. Finally and most disturbingly, the manager of Boulud was extremely unfriendly and condescending. She seriously needs to find another job that suits her better because customer service is not her forte. She speaks down to people and let's face it, she's just a manager of one of many michelin restaurants in the world. She has no real reason to be so patronizing. However, Surrey management relieved the situation with poise and alacrity. It was a perfect stay and we will always make time to stay at the Surrey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aurora06
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that our tranquil Upper East Side location was idyll for your family’s stay in New York.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and bathrooms; we concur that they are large for New York City standards. I am also happy to hear that we were able to offer a room for you to store your luggage and prepare for your evening flight.

Thank you especially for recognizing our team members for their warm, personalized and intuitive service delivery. I have shared your feedback with our Doormen and Guest Services Team who were thrilled by your gracious praises.

Despite these highlights, I am so disappointed to learn of the service lapses you experienced during your stay. Please know that we must address noise complaints when they occur in order to ensure the comfort of all our guests, however I am sorry that your game night was interrupted by these circumstances. Please also accept my sincere apologies for your service interaction with a team member at Café Boulud. This is truly not indicative of the service levels on which we pride ourselves and please know that your comments have been taken in the spirit intended. I have discussed this with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud, in order to prevent such occurrences.

I hope these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and we do hope that you will join us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at 646.358.3605 when your travels next bring you to New York.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I grew up in and around New York and am more particular about my hotels in this City more than any other. I've been lucky enough to stay at the St. Regis, the Carlyle, the Waldorf, The Palace Towers, and a number of other great hotels. I previously reviewed the hotel, calling it, "an oasis" near Central Park. I recently stayed for two days in August 2013.

The hotel is converted from a famed series of apartments and is nestled on 76th street right around the corner from the Carlyle and two blocks from Central Park. Just tell the taxis 76th and Madison. Given that I have already reviewed this hotel, I won't given an in depth review but rather highlight a brief series of points which separates this hotel from other luxury properties and try to provide some prospective if you are looking at this hotel compared with the Ritz, the Waldorf, etc.

Comfort: The beds at the Surrey are the most comfortable I have found at a hotel. They are simply wonderful. Two weeks before my stay I had herniated several discs in my neck and was in serious pain, while I couldn't lie down for long periods, the brief 20 minutes of rest I did get were lovely. Each room is equipped with at least two comfortable padded chairs as well and a large, functional octagon coffee table.

Design: Many of the hotels in the City opt for a very traditional style (St. Regis, Waldorf, Carlyle, etc.) design here is more modern while still being functional and comfortable. Small touches like lovely tile work in the bathrooms, the aforementioned emperor's coffee table, etc. give the hotel a much more intimate and homelike feel, while still maintaining luxury.

Roof Terrace: Unique to the Surrey the roof terrace is a great place to grab a drink and watch the sunset. It was very crowded both nights I was there. While I am happy to share the hotel with patrons of the roof terrace it was sometimes difficult to get an elevator as a lot of guests were coming simply for the terrace.

Cafe Boulud: Room service is provided by Cafe Boulud. This has been a source of criticism in other reviews but I have always enjoyed excellent food and service. The Crab Benedict was the most decedent and outstanding dish I have ever had for breakfast and I lived in Europe for a number of years. It almost made me want to extend my stay just so I could order it again. On a previous trip, bar service was not very good but upon my return I was greeted warmly and promptly by the staff.

Staff: The entire staff was exceptionally friendly and professional and compared favorably to the most luxurious and expensive of hotels in which I have stayed. They managed both complex and simple tasks in a friendly and professional way.

I had such a wonderful experience I didn't want to leave. Now, I'll just have to find a way to schedule more meetings in New York next year. Happy traveling.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank twainandwhitman
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience once again on TripAdvisor. We are truly humbled by your high praises, acknowledgement of our ‘small touches’ and sincerely appreciate your continued patronage.

Your review is so thorough and I thank you for showcasing the highlights of The Surrey for future guests to get a true feeling of our unique offerings.

We are so happy that our idyllic Upper East Side location, inspiring and unique Lauren Rottet design, custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens continue to exceed your expectations.

I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our Private Roof Garden on your most recent stay and enjoy the breathtaking views of the New York City sunset. I am disappointed to learn that you were inconvenienced by elevator delays due to guests traveling to and from our private garden. I hope you will continue to enjoy the offerings of our Private Roof Garden on your future summer stays.

I am so proud to learn that we have improved upon the service delivery in Bar Pleiades since your last stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with our entire Food and Beverage Team. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the In Room Dining options provided by Michelin Star Café Boulud. I concur that the Crab Benedict is delicious.

Thank you especially for taking a moment to highlight the professional and friendly service provided to you by our entire staff. I am so pleased to learn that we were successful in exceeding the expectations of such a discerning guest like yourself.

Please contact me directly at 646.358.3654 the next time your travels bring you to New York and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in arranging your accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.