“Exceeded expectations”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tucson, Arizona
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed at The Surrey for three nights and could not have been happier with the experience. The hotel is stunning, has beautiful artwork, and the rooms are larger than usual for New York. The staff was warm and welcoming, and of course the location is wonderful. It might be heresy to say this, but I wasn't blown away by my dinner at Cafe Boulud. The food and service were very good but it was not a memorable experience. That said, I would stay at The Surrey again in an instant. I would even choose it over its more famous neighbors across the street.

1 Thank ncinaz
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations. We are also touched that you enjoyed our collection of 31 original modern artworks, especially the tapestry of Kate Moss by renowned photographer, Chuck Close.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine and personalized service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I am truly disappointed to learn that your dinner in Café Boulud did not provide you with the most memorable of experiences. This is truly not indicative of the service levels we pride ourselves on. Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr Gavin Kaysen, Culinary Director and Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager in hopes of improving the overall experience of Café Boulud.

If you should have any specific information for us on your dining experience, I would welcome it and may be reached at 646.358.3605.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Great staff. One of your staff members named Brian who is a door man really went the extra mile for me. I had checked out and needed to bring my bags to the corner of Madison. It was cold and snowing he had no issue taking me there and waiting. He was very polite and waited with me until my husband showed up.. He put all our bags in the car can was very appreciative. Big thank you to Brian on a cold wintery day.

Room Tip: stay in the back of the hotel where it is not noisy from the street traffic
1 Thank nancii60745
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and gracious service delivery and I am so pleased that Mr Brian Conboy, our wonderful Doorman, was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with Brian who was thrilled by your most gracious praises.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Awesome service from a boutique hotel, very stylish décor & attentive service‎. The roof is breathtaking and the beds couldn't be more comfortable.
I'm a huge fan of the hotel!!! I'd like to live there.

Room Tip: The suites are amazing!
1 Thank Sid W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is delightful from the breathtaking views of the Upper East Side to the handcrafted cocktails. We look forward to Spring when the Private Roof Garden will be available to all our guests.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the attentive service provided by our entire team. I am so proud to learn that we continue to exceed your expectations.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Weather prevented us from staying at the Surrey - but up to our trip and even when I had to cancel everyone at the Surrey - most especially Michael the Concierge - were extremely helpful, pleasant and proactive. I wish we could have been there - but when we were not able to be the Surrey was a pleasure to deal with and I will certainly stay there on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious praises regarding the service provided to you. I am so sorry to hear that your travel plans changed due to the inclement weather.

I am so proud to learn that our entire team, most notably Michael, our wonderful Concierge, was successful in ensuring that your needs were taken care of and seamlessly assisted you in canceling your reservation.

We wish you a most enjoyable holiday season and look forward to welcoming you in the near future. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The staff at The Surrey are great and really make a short stay very special. They are all very efficient and friendly, down to the Concierge accommodating our changing brunch plans with good cheer, to her offer of her own and her colleagues headwear before I went off for a run. The only drawback is the traffic noise so next time we will go for a higher floor. Great location for entry to the park, to see the museums and for crowd-free shopping. Will return.

1 Thank NettyPoole
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with thoughtful, personalized and genuine service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team, most notably our Concierge Team, was successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the exterior noise pollution. Please feel free to call me directly at 646.358.3605 so I may learn of your details so I may update your preference for a high floor accordingly.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I wanted to find a private terrace with a NYC skyline view on which to propose to my fiancé. A hotel was an obvious solution, and the The Surrey turned out to be the best choice. I made an appointment with the hotel to check out the 14th floor suite's private terrace to ensure the view was spectacular. The view was breathtaking and I could relax since I nailed down a critical aspect of the engagement.

Rachel coordinated with me to set up the room in advance of our arrival. Everything was perfect. When we checked in and they walked us to the elevator, they used a key to access our floor, which I thought was strange because I visited the hotel a few weeks prior and I didn't require a key to access the 14th floor. Turns out, we were silently upgraded to the penthouse suite, which surprised both of us!

The room was huge and spotless, comfortable and contemporary. Since we were only there one night, we didn't get to enjoy all the features of the room, but it has everything you might want from a kitchen to a whirlpool to a sound system. The wraparound terrace was unbelievable and contributed to a more romantic and impressive engagement proposal than either of us could have imagined.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly honored that we were a part of your most special engagement.

I am so delighted that you enjoyed our spacious Penthouse Suite and the amenities in the room, including the kitchen, whirlpool and sound system, exceeded your expectations. We concur that the wrap-around terrace and lends to views that are truly breathtaking.

Thank you especially for shining a light on the personalized and intuitive service delivery provided by our team members, most notably Ms Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager. I am thrilled that she was so successful in assisting you to ensure all details were to perfection.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps to celebrate your honeymoon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel was perfect . Met all of our expectations ,staff was wonderful ,the room and amenities were great . . The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner actually responded to our desired setting . They treated us like they really cared about our stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mr. Robert A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that your guest accommodations exceeded your expectations from our custom Duxiana bedding and Mitchel & Peach amenities to the responsive cooling system.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine and personalized service delivery and I am so delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.