“Unhelpful concierge, grossly overcharged”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #80 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Unhelpful concierge, grossly overcharged”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My stay at the Surrey was absolutely horrible, I was grossly overcharged for the limousine service which the concierge arranged for me, instead of 4 hours I was charged 5.5 hours which, at $98 per hour, is $147 USD extra! We had already tipped the chauffeur a generous $60 when we left the car so I have no idea as to why he (John) felt the need to overcharge us by an extra hour and a half. The concierge was not helpful at all with the over billing, I asked to speak to the chauffeur and he was unable to be contacted, so I requested that the security cameras be checked to see the time we left and came back to the hotel - none of this was done, I was still overcharged, absolutely disgusting, never staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

1 Thank Ms. Diana W
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am truly disappointed to learn that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the oversight of being overcharged for the chauffeured vehicle service. I would like to confirm that we have refunded this amount back to your credit card.

This is truly not indicative of the service levels we pride ourselves on. Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr Petar Krstic, Director of Front Office, so that we may improve our services.

I also understand that Mr Krstic has reached out to you via telephone in efforts to apologize directly to you.

We look forward to restoring your trust and faith in us and truly look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed at teh Surrey for a business trip...aesthetic beautiful from the moment you walk in...the attention to detail and luxury proved for a great hotel experience. For NYC the rooms are nicely sized and feel like home and a refined elegant way. Highly recommend!

1 Thank Ms. Kelly W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations. I am so proud to learn that our attention to detail and the luxury service provided by our team members led to such a great experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Surrey is a fabulous precious jewel. I lived in New York for 40 years, have seen "everything", and this hotel is a "cut above". It is away from the hustle and bustle of touristy mid-town. The area (upper East side) is residential, quiet and peaceful,but yet, just steps away from the boutiques and wonderful restaurants of Madison Avenue...and the world's greatest museums are just a "stone's throw" away and just around the corner. And at the end of the day, walking across The Surrey's threshold was like coming home to a peaceful, serene, haven. Someone once said---"You never know when you are making a memory..." Well, we will always remember our stay at The Surrey. It will be our first choice upon our subsequent trips to the Big Apple! No worms here...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Mrs. Alethea C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We are humbled to be considered a precious jewel.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location away from the hustle and bustle but with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping, world renowned restaurants and Museum Mile.

I am so proud to learn that you felt peace and serenity when entering The Surrey and that we added to your collection of warm memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon on your next trip to the Big Apple.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 16 December 2013

A terrific luxury hotel with great sized rooms, comfy beds, nice views, extremely courteous and efficient staff. Wish we'd had time to try the restaurant and bar, they looked terrific. Was visiting family on the upper east side so location was terrific.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank TravelfanAtlanta
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you found our tranquil Upper East Side location convenient for your family visit.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and breathtaking views and that our custom Duxiana bedding exceeded you expectations.

Thank you especially for recognizing the warm and courteous service provided by our entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope you will have the opportunity to dine in Café Boulud and enjoy the cocktails in Bar Pleiades on your next visit.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Excellent Stay. Beautifully furnished hotel. Five Star all the way. Café Boulud is Outstanding. Definitely check out the Spa. It was fabulous. Request Helen for any spa treatment. The location is excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

1 Thank Ms. Anne C
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. We are honored that we could be part of your special birthday celebration.

I am so delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location and inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations.

I concur that the culinary delights of Michelin star Café Boulud are spectacular.

We pride ourselves on the treatments provided by Cornelia Spa and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you especially for recognizing Ms Helen Yuen, Esthetician and Massage Therapist, for the fabulous services provided to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed at The Surrey for three nights and could not have been happier with the experience. The hotel is stunning, has beautiful artwork, and the rooms are larger than usual for New York. The staff was warm and welcoming, and of course the location is wonderful. It might be heresy to say this, but I wasn't blown away by my dinner at Cafe Boulud. The food and service were very good but it was not a memorable experience. That said, I would stay at The Surrey again in an instant. I would even choose it over its more famous neighbors across the street.

1 Thank ncinaz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations. We are also touched that you enjoyed our collection of 31 original modern artworks, especially the tapestry of Kate Moss by renowned photographer, Chuck Close.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine and personalized service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I am truly disappointed to learn that your dinner in Café Boulud did not provide you with the most memorable of experiences. This is truly not indicative of the service levels we pride ourselves on. Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr Gavin Kaysen, Culinary Director and Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager in hopes of improving the overall experience of Café Boulud.

If you should have any specific information for us on your dining experience, I would welcome it and may be reached at 646.358.3605.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Great staff. One of your staff members named Brian who is a door man really went the extra mile for me. I had checked out and needed to bring my bags to the corner of Madison. It was cold and snowing he had no issue taking me there and waiting. He was very polite and waited with me until my husband showed up.. He put all our bags in the car can was very appreciative. Big thank you to Brian on a cold wintery day.

Room Tip: stay in the back of the hotel where it is not noisy from the street traffic