“Amazing”

The Surrey
Ranked #94 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great experience with polite helpful staff and amazing accommodations. Fold was particularly good as well! This was an amazing experience from check in to check out and everyone was as friendly as can be!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jonathan F
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and that the fold exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the superior service provided by our team members and I am delighted that we achieved this with you.

Shan Kanagasingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,926)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here for my husband's birthday after running a half marathon in Central Park. The hotel was wonderful! After the run I asked if we could check in early but no rooms we're available. The hotel was so accommodating they offered for us to use the spa shower to clean up and change. Considering it was 32 F out and we'd been running for almost2 hours we appreciated the kindness. Our room had a wonderful view of Madison Ave and we could see the top of the Empire State Building. We will stay here again! We loved the location and the hotel staff was fabulous.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajmflan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your most gracious feedback from your recent experience with us. We are thrilled to have been part of your special birthday celebration. We would also like to congratulate you on completed the half marathon…this achievement is truly commendable.

I am delighted to learn that we were able to accommodate you in Cornelia Spa to ensure your comfort while we prepared your accommodations. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and your accommodations with views of Madison Avenue.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and genuine service delivery provided by our entire team and I am so happy that we achieved this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have stayed at the plaza , ritz Central Park and st Regis and by far this was the best hotel experience we have ever had in New York . The entire staff made us feel as if we were part of their family . Everyone knew our name , the personal attention we received was exceptional . We lived the experience if staying in a smaller property with luxury amenities as good or better than at any other . We can't wait to return .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Jessica C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We are humbled to have provided you with the best hotel experience in New York and that you were made to feel like family.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am truly delighted that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just returned from a short pre-christmas stay in NYC (Dec. 18 - 20) and stayed at the Surrey in Upper East Side. I have stayed at the Plaza, the Intercontinental, among others and found this hotel to surpass them all. It is a Relais et Chateau for a reason (must live up to certain strict standards). The service was friendly, the rooms were beautifully appointed (spring for a bit more and get a larger room - definitely worth it). The Conceirge helped us with dinner reservations that were spot on. We like to eat where the locals eat and the restaurant she sent us to was definitely a local favourite. A bottle of champagne was delivered to the room compliments of the manager as it was my birthday. A very nice touch and not expected. We love the UES as it is away from the madness of midtown but just out your door is Central Park, Madison Ave (best shopping in NYC). We will make this our new NYC hotel of choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carorab

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing such positive feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. We are delighted to have been part of your most special birthday celebration.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

I was proud to learn that the service provided by our entire team exceeded your expectations. Thank you especially for recognizing our Concierge team in their assistance with your dining reservations.

We are thrilled that you have become a fan of The Surrey and thank you for your advocacy. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Elegant hotel with lousy views and chilly management.

Deluxe room featured large window with a view of a dilapidated building directly across the street. Management offered no accommodation for an alternative room, claiming hotel was full (bellman admitted this was not true). Front desk manager's attitude was chilly at best.

The adjoining Cafe Boulud restaurant was outstanding.

The roof-top lounge/bar area - surrounded at night by towering, illuminated buildings - was something special.

The room itself was spacious and well-appointed, though showing subtle signs of wear on the furniture.

This review is obviously and unfortunately colored by the poor interpersonal skills of the front desk manager. Time and again, properties that would otherwise warrant a positive review are reduced to "so-so" due to the ways in which management addresses clients' dissatisfaction.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to avoid unsightly views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am truly disheartened to learn of your experience and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the way in which you were addressed by my leadership.

I make no excuses for our shortcomings and hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith and trust in us. Please feel free to call on me at 646.358.3605 as I would love the opportunity to further discuss your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I hate to write this review after only one night at the hotel but I've seen enough, this place has the best service I've seen in the US. From pre-arrival arrangements (and general awesomeness) with Michelle, to the uber-outstanding doorman team of Koko and Pablo, the incredible house driver Carlos, and everyone else this level of service is my new gold standard.

This hotel already boasts a plethora of phenomenal reviews so I won't bore readers with repeating all those innumerable, well deserved accolades. I'll just leave this one oft repeated albeit more personalized snippet: as my wife took her first shower she just giddily giggled throughout at how incredible the water pressure was--priceless.

I can't even imagine how much I'm going to love the hotel once I get to experience the roof top terrace in the Spring.

Bravo Surrey!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MisterSR

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team achieved this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing Ms Michelle Paredes, Guest Relations Coordinator, Mr Koko Latt and Mr Pablo Castro, our wonderful doormen and Mr Carlos Ascensio, our House Car Driver for the outstanding and noteworthy service they provided to you.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations in so many other aspects and we continue to receive positive feedback on our water pressure.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is one of our most special features. We, too, look forward to Spring when the Private Roof Garden will be available to all our guests.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

OMG!!! What a wonderful place!!!! From Pablo's super, happy, smile greeting us at the start of our stay to Brian meeting us this morning with a paper/water & coffee at 6:15-loaded our car-no worries-no problem-Both gentlemen!!! Staff is amazing and not snooty- All the concierges were great-Great-GREAT!!! No question too small and lovely to deal with. We had an adjoining suite which was absolutely lovely-always clean-beds turned town-lighting just right-every night! Went to the bar a few times-best "Old-fashioned" in NYC also had Christmas Eve dinner @ Cafe Boulud- WHAT A TREAT!!! Service top notch-Will be back soon! Thanks to Staff @ The Surrey for providing an awesome Christmas in NYC!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shopreese

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are thrilled to have been part of your special Christmas in New York City.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, gracious and intuitive service delivery and I am delighted that our entire team achieved this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing Mr Pablo Castro and Mr Brian Conboy, our wonderful Doormen as well as our Concierge team.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our suite accommodations including the housekeeping services.

I concur that the culinary delights of Michelin Star Café Bould are a real treat and the cocktails, especially the ‘Old-Fashioned’, in Bar Pleiades are truly sublime.