“Exceptional Service, Room, and Location”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa Bay, FL
“Exceptional Service, Room, and Location”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Fantastic hotel. I was there on business the third week of January, and was delighted with both the room and the service. Everyone was extremely friendly, and the facility itself was great. Will certainly return many more times.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Crooow
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and that the genuine, caring and personalized service provided by our entire team exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent two nights here. I wish we had stayed longer. I like how The Surrey is discreet and unassuming, and yet quietly elegant. The staff were on hand at all times, and so professional and helpful. I love the location on the Upper East Side, a short walk from all the shops, and less than a block from Central Park. Our room, too, was lovely, and I really appreciated the bottled water we were offered every day. So many hotels do not offer this little necessity. I do believe however that WIFI should be free at 5-star hotels and do not understand how this basic necessity is not as prevalent here as it is in Europe. I highly recommend dinner at Bar Boulud in the Hotel. Excellent service there as well and the food was outstanding and good value. Breakfast was okay, but not worth just under $100 (not including tip). I feel this is overpriced for 2 hotel guests having 3 coffees between the two of them, eggs, toast and 2 fresh squeezed juices. Still, I highly recommend it because the staff and accommodation were exemplary.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Warrengirl2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that our discreet and unassuming elegance exceeded your expectations and that you felt at home while at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location just steps from Central Park with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with genuine, personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased to hear that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your dinner in Michelin Starred Café Boulud. Depsite this, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that breakfast did not provide you with the same experience. I have shared your feedback with Mr Gavin Kaysen, Culinary Director and Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager and we will take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit our pricing.

I am also disappointed to learn that our wireless internet fees caused an inconvenience for you. Please know that we offer complimentary wireless Internet in our lobby and our pricing is in keeping with the other luxury properties of the Upper East Side.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here the weekend before Christmas and thought it was a pretty nice hotel. The rooms were spacious for New York standards. Bed was comfortable, good layout. The location was okay, but for us, probably wasn't the best. Upper East Side not really the best place if you are looking for really great restaurants or a place to grab a drink, which is primarily what we do on vacation. Overall it's a nice hotel, but probably won't go back here simply because it's just a little too removed from the areas we enjoy most.

Room Tip: Internet was additional, somewhere around $15 a day. As with anything in NYC, incidentals are expen...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAZBW
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the layout of The Surrey as well as our spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding.

I am, however, disappointed to learn that our tranquil Upper East Side location was not convenient for your vacation to New York City. Rest assured that our neighborhood boasts many world-renowned restaurants and bars and our award winning Les Clefs D’Or Concierge team is always available to personally assist with recommendations and arrangements for the activities you most enjoy while on vacation.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 646.358.3605 the next time your travels bring you to New York and it will be my pleasure to personally assist in arranging your accommodations and curating a list of our favorite dining and bar options for you.

We most sincerely hope to welcome you back to The Surrey soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Nice hotel, just do not think it is up to 5 star standards. Bar Pleides has arrogant bartenders and terrible table service. Had to wait for a server and then for our drinks. Bartender (called himself a mixologist) was ridiculous -- talking about his craft! Pouring gin over ice is not a craft! It's your job, so could you please do it without the attitude??

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Mrs. Laura G
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such candid feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the less than gracious service you experienced in Bar Pleiades. We pride ourselves on the caring and personalized service provided by our team members and I am most sincerely disappointed that your experience fell short of our standards.

Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr Gavin Kaysen, Culinary Director, and Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

We would love the opportunity to restore your trust and faith in us. Please feel free to call on me at 646.358.3605 should you wish to further discuss your recent experience.
In the interim, I remain at your service.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 January 2014

When the Surrey could not accommodate my request for a room with two queen beds upon checkin with my husband and 21 year old daughter they happily gave us an upgrade to a one bedroom suite and a connecting room. We were delighted to spend four nights in our "apartment" on the Upper East Side. The rooms were comfortable - especially the Duxiana beds - and the bathrooms were gorgeous. The bar (Pleiades) and restaurants downstairs (Cafe Boulud) are both wonderful. Overall, a lovely, calm respite.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Sarah G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am truly delighted that you and your family were comfortable in a two-bedroom suite and that our custom Duxiana bedding exceeded your expectations.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location, which truly is a calm respite within New York City.

I concur that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and Michelin starred Café Boulud are two of our most coveted attributes.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom ultra suite at The Surrey this past weekend and had an overall perfect experience. From check-in to checkout, everybody we came in contact with was helpful, kind and professional. The rooms were beautiful and the bathrooms were big, updated and beautiful. We had room service, used the concierge and valet parking - all were spot on. The location is great if you want to be near high-end shopping, lots of restaurants and a quick cab ride to anywhere you want to go.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high-up - we were on the 8th floor and there was some street noise - to be expected i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Egwalter
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location was convenient for you with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping and world-renowned restaurants.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and personalized service delivery and I am so happy to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

I am thrilled that we furthermore exceeded your expectations in so many ways from our spacious suite accommodations and valet parking to the services provided by our wonderful Concierge team and In-Room Dining provided by Café Boulud.

Harkness
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the Surrey on Friday, Jan. 10 2014. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the room was beautiful, comfortable and inviting. Of course it's a bit expensive but I'm willing to pay for a nice room while in New York. The only negative about this hotel is the spa. WAY, WAY overpriced for what I considered to be mediocre services. The staff at the spa, again, were very helpful and nice but the actual services I had were nothing special. Would not go back to the spa. I ordered breakfast into my room on Sat. morning and that was quite expensive as well but very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank climbhigh420
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the warm and gracious service provided by our team members to the In-Room Dining breakfast provided by Café Boulud.

I am truly disappointed to learn that your experience in Cornelia Spa was not in sync with the service levels we provide ourselves on. Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your feedback with Ms Magdaleena Nikolov, Spa Director, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3605 as we would love the opportunity to restore your faith and trust in us and Cornelia Spa.

In the interim, I remain at your service.