“My sisters 40th bday ”

The Surrey
Ranked #91 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I am a very detailed oriented hotel guest. Small things mean everything to me. When you pay $800+ a night plus room service, bar tabs, dinner etc you expect quite a bit more from a hotel. Our room was 1404. Great because it accommodated 3 guests beautifully. A large bathroom for 3 ladies and a great sitting area that we used quite a bit. The details that were missed. Room cleanliness was ok. Not great looked hurried. No coffee maker. Had to call for ice. Not enough bath products. Ice Cold cream when ordering coffee. This detail annoyed me to no end. I asked for it everytime I ordered but they just didn't get it. I stay at Relais Chateau hotel group for a reason. Because of the attention to detail. In every way. The bar was wonderful and who could ever say anything wrong about a Daniel restaurant? Not me...But, I enjoy getting breakfast downstairs and that was not an option, I had to order room service and too many things were forgotten when I did order. Which is quite bothersome. I typically stay at St. Regis and/or Plaza Athenee on my visits. I do not get charged for Internet for my stay no matter what package I purchase. It is a lovely hotel and staff is polite. Not perfection but few can compare to St Regis in fact only 4 others around the world come to mind. I loved the area. I will say for NYC the room was large and well done. Beds beautifully done and very comfortable. Choose suite with fireplace at least. And a high floor.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Particulardvswank
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your candid feedback from your recent experience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our spacious guest accommodations and custom Duxiana bedding exceeded your expectations. I am also pleased to hear that our entire team was successful in extending warm and gracious service delivery.

Despite these highlights, I was truly disappointed to learn of the service lapses you experienced during your stay, especially with your less than perfect experience with In-Room Dining.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our wireless internet pricing. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit our pricing for our services.

Kindly know that we provide Nespresso machines upon request and we will be happy to do so on future stays. It is our pleasure to provide ice to our guests and I am truly sorry that this standard created an inconvenience for you.

Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments regarding the room cleanliness and supply of bath amenities with Mr Erik Wood, Director of Housekeeping, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

We truly hope that these events have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our stay at the Surrey. Both being incredibly fussy, we loved this hotel and would definitely revisit again. Lovely quiet hotel, we were on the 16th floor and had a room with a balcony and fireplace - perfect size to dump shopping bags and other paraphernalia. It was lovely and quiet with views to Central Park if you craned your neck hard left over the balcony! Not recommended if you have vertigo. The bed was so comfortable and we had a large bathroom with separate shower. The staff were helpful, friendly, chatty (particularly Pablo the doorman) and courteous. We had a great time and spent the first evening in the bar which was really good to have a few cocktails and wind down after our flight and the bar food was delicious from oysters to beef 'sliders'. The hotel provided a good base to go and explore and we had a great time. Can highly recommend.

Room Tip: We chose the deluxe room with fireplace and balcony. Spacious with large bathroom with separate sho...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie_B665

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and the other gems of the Upper East Side.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your spacious Studio Suite accommodations with views of Central Park featuring custom Duxiana bedding and oversized glass enclosed showers.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and personalized service delivery and I am so pleased that our entire team most notably Mr Pablo Castro, our wonderful Doorman, was successful in achieving this with you.

I concur that the innovative libations of Coco Chanel Bar Pleiades are sublime.

We truly thank you for your continued patronage to The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a fantastic hotel. For those that have been to New York before and can do without the overwhelming bustle of midtown, this is a great choice. The hotel's neighborhood is refined, quiet, safe, and convenient -- adjectives which also apply to the hotel itself. This is a hotel where the staff really do try to make you happy -- whether that means offering you bottles of water for your trip home, providing turn-down service (with slippers places neatly by the bed) every night, or making sure that you receive preferential seating at the in-house restaurant (Cafe Boulud). The rooms themselves are large and well appointed, with fine marble bathrooms and an elegant but not ostentatious decor. All in all, coming home to this hotel felt like a breath of fresh air after a long day of touring. Finally, in terms of value, I think that this hotel does quite well. By no means cheap, it is nonetheless in the same class as other Five Star hotels in the city (e.g.; the Carlyle) while often being priced somewhat lower.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are honored to have provided you with a breath of fresh air after a long day of touring New York City.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location.

We pride ourselves on the thoughtful and intuitive service provided by our team and I am so pleased that we were successful in achieving this with you.

I am thrilled that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and spacious guest accommodations, including the Italian Carrara marble bathrooms exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

What a gem! We booked this hotel and when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. It's situated on a quiet street in the city. The staff was very friendly and attentive which made us feel welcomed. But the best part was the room! It was rather large especially for nyc standards. Very clean and well decorated. We will make this our favorite hotel to stay at in nyc from now on.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Thank Mr. Dean S
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly honored to have become your favorite hotel in New York City.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location and that our team members were successful in providing you with personalized and intuitive service delivery.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations featuring inspiring design by Lauren Rottet.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

They Surrey is on 76th Street, right off Central Park also shopping heaven. The staff is welcoming, and knowledgeable. Rooms are very comfortable and luxuriously appointed. The spa is a calm oasis with pampering treatments. In room dining is very good. Cafe Bouloud is a gourmet destination and the bar on the main floor is gorgeous and terrific. Wouldn't think to stay anywhere else in NYC!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most generous feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. We are honored that we have become your hotel of choice in New York City.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping and that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and caring service delivery and I am so pleased that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

I concur that Cornelia Spa in a calm oasis and that the treatments are sublime.

We are thrilled that the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud as well as In-Room Dining and the innovative libations of Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The best hotel I have ever stayed in. Perfect from the moment you walk in until you arrive at your room. This hotels gives you a feeling of wealth and comfort all in one. Very high end but made my fiancé and I very comfortable with me not being of that back round. The room was awesome with a bar and dean and deluca snacks (so tasty!). Plus the cafe serves the best french toast and pancakes and the other guests food was also eye catching. It was all delicious. And last the spa was also amazing. We enjoyed every moment and this is the one and only NYC hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Douglas S
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most positive feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are truly honored to be considered the best hotel you have ever stayed in.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations as well as our sufficiently stocked honor bar featuring snacks by Dean and Deluca.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the culinary delights from Michelin starred Café Boulud, most notably the French toast and pancakes.

I concur that the treatments in Cornelia Spa are splendid and we consider this one of our most special amenities.

We are so pleased that you and your fiancé felt comfortable in your home away from home and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed five nights in this delightful hotel. The design of the hotel is most beautiful. Staff is professional, although not always warm, and I was particularly impressed with housekeeping.

Check in was smooth but my request for a room higher up away from the generator could not be met. My first night was disturbed by a loud humming from the generator/air conditioning unit. The hotel was able to find me a much nicer room without the noise and I had a fabulous stay from then onward.

I appreciated the bottled water in the room but the hotel should offer free wifi and tell guests about the coffee that is available in the lobby in the morning (I only found out about this when I left).

All in all, I will definitely stay there again for the lovely interior and the location.

Room Tip: avoid room facing the generator/ac unit
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Travelingbiz

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent five night stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as our idyllic Upper East Side location.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the exterior noise pollution. Despite this, I am pleased that our team was able to offer you alternative, more tranquil, accommodations.

I am truly disappointed to learn that although our team members are professional, we did not extend the warm and gracious service we pride ourselves on. I also regret that you were not informed of the coffee service available in the lobby until your day of departure. I have spoken with Mr Petar Krstic, Director of Front Office, as this is an opportunity for us to improve upon our services.

I am truly sorry that you felt inconvenienced by our Internet fees. As we periodically review our pricing for all services and amenities, we will take your feedback into consideration.

I am pleased that these events have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.