“NO MORE THAN A FOUR STAR HOTEL”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #86 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL

This hotel bears the sign of Relais and Chateau at this door, but that's probably the only relation it has with a Relais or a Chateau. Indeed the location is excellent ( if you are interested in this part of New York) and the rooms are large enough ( as described) BUT to be a real five star hotel you must provide the service and The Surrey doesn't.
To be more specific
1. It took us 24 hours and three calls to convince them to bring us the slippers.
2. I had to ask !!! for a minibar refill after 48 hours that nobody bothered to check our minibar
3. The second morning we had to wait 30 minutes for a breakfast table, because although there were free tables, they didn't have enough people to serve them ( in their words)
4. So for the next morning we took their advice and booked a table for breakfast at 10:00. We were there at 09:55. Our breakfast was served at 10:50 ( this is not a typo, it took them 50 minutes to sit us down and bring a coffee). When I asked for the manager, a young girl appeared 10 minutes later to apologize .
5. If you want to have a coffee, a drink or even a light meal inside the hotel forget it ( exactly as it happens in what we are used to call apartment hotels) . After breakfast hours the only place is the tiny and overcrowded bar. The whole common area of this five star Relais and chateau is two ( exactly two ) couches at the entrance. As an alternative, as the concierge advices us, we can go to the cafe two blocks up Madison .
6. If you wish to use the internet from the comfort of your room and you are not in possession of a US mobile,,you will be punished @ 16 $ a day.
7. I have stayed in airport hotels and I didn't hear anything. In this hotel on the sixth floor you feel that the traffic is driving straight through your bedroom. Somebody must speak to them about insulation.

All in all these small or not so small details make all the difference between a 4 star apparthotel ( that's what they are) and what they claim to be! And the worst part is that the only reaction to any complaint is a typical apology without any effort to " compensate", for example by offering the coffee when we had to wait 50 minutes to get it or by sending up a flower or a chocolate, when they forgot to refil the mini bar. On the contrary, when I asked for a half day extension of my stay ( check out at 18:00), they tried to charge a full nights rate, which is something no hotel has ever dared to ask anywhere in the world.

Oh, and be aware with your credit card. They have the habit of blocking an absurd amount of money on arrival. They have blocked the total cost of the stay ( maybe their average customers are thieves and usually go away without paying) PLUS an extra 1000 $ per room. Maybe they thought that I would steal their towels! Sorry guys, get somebody to tell you about etiquette.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank kYazitzoglou
Rene R, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am truly disheartened that we failed to exceed your expectations in so many regards. I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced from the exterior noise pollution and having to repeatedly request services to the credit authorizations and response to your concerns.

I would like to also apologize for annoyance caused by internet pricing. Kindly note that the pricing is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

I was further disappointed to learn that your experience in Café Boulud was not in keeping with the standards in which we pride ourselves on. I have spoken to Mr. Dominique Paulin, General Manager, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3654 as I would love the opportunity to further discuss your overall experience. In the interim, I remain at your service.

There are newer reviews for The Surrey

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We wanted to stay in a five star boutique hotel on the UES and that is exactly what we got with the Surrey.our room was light and airy and the bathroom was a very good size with a great shower. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and highly efficient . The bar was a great little place for a pre or post dinner drink and really adds something to the hotel.We loved this hotel and wee very sad to leave. It will definitely be our first choice of hotel when we return to New York.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n6traveller

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your week long stay with us.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations from our tranquil Upper East Side location, inspiring Lauren Rottet design and warm and gracious service provided by our team members.

We truly appreciate your advocacy of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

A comfortable hotel with very helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble.
Cafe expensive, especially the wine but the food was well worth it. The subway was nearby that enabled you to get to the other areas of NY.Buying a subway ticket for the week was well worth it $30 plus tax. Problems getting to the hotel from JFK but managed well on way back via subway and airtrain. Much cheaper.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that your stay was most comfortable and that we were successful in providing you with caring and intuitive service delivery.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud and that our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to New York City’s transportation resources was convenient for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at the Surrey for over a week. It's a little pricey but exceptionally gorgeous. This hotel is beautiful down to every detail. The staff was always friendly and our room was very clean. I really cannot say enough about the staff and their attention to detail. It is truly exceptional. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in New York. It is close enough to be within walking distance but far enough to be quiet. I loved my stay at the Surrey and will absolutely return to stay at the Surrey when I visit NYC.

Room Tip: The rooms facing 76th are much quieter than the rooms that are closer to Madison Avenue.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank CloudTenReviews

Reviewed 16 April 2014

5 days in The Surrey felt liked we'd lived there for years as the staff were so friendly and accommodating. The room were spacious, wonderfully decorated and very well maintained. The Bar has a great feel and elegance to match. I can say enough about the concierge service, helpful, friendly and exceptionally in tune with their guests. All in all this is easily one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr. Tom F
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly honored to be considered one of the best hotels you have stayed in.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service provided by our team members and I thank you especially for recognizing our Concierge team for the exceptional service extended to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Lovely hotel and staff.Room spacious and clean,Well done to the hotels doorman who provide a first class service.Ambiance and drinks in the bar superb, Jazz band Friday night lovely .
Only one small negative, charging for WI-Fi ?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ade637
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

I concur that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades is one of our most special attributes and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the innovative libations, ambiance and live Jazz music.

Thank you especially for recognizing our wonderful Doormen for the outstanding service they extended to you.

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the Internet fees. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and we will be sure to take your comments into consideration as we periodically audit the pricing of our services.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Discovered this hotel last week,and it is really good.

Staff are brilliant,really friendly,and courteous.

Rooms are really comfortable,
and I would award 11 out of 10 on the points scale.

Hope to come back soon,it is a must

My Favourite perfume is paco rabon,they put a sample in my
room really considerate. I will come back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jhm421
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our comfortable and spacious guest accommodations and that the caring, personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members exceeded your expectations. I was so proud to learn that your stay was further customized by your favorite perfume in your room.

We truly thank you for your advocacy and look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.