READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL
This hotel bears the sign of Relais and Chateau at this door, but that's probably the only relation it has with a Relais or a Chateau. Indeed the location is excellent ( if you are interested in this part of New York) and the rooms are large enough ( as described) BUT to be a real five star hotel you must provide the service and The Surrey doesn't.
To be more specific
1. It took us 24 hours and three calls to convince them to bring us the slippers.
2. I had to ask !!! for a minibar refill after 48 hours that nobody bothered to check our minibar
3. The second morning we had to wait 30 minutes for a breakfast table, because although there were free tables, they didn't have enough people to serve them ( in their words)
4. So for the next morning we took their advice and booked a table for breakfast at 10:00. We were there at 09:55. Our breakfast was served at 10:50 ( this is not a typo, it took them 50 minutes to sit us down and bring a coffee). When I asked for the manager, a young girl appeared 10 minutes later to apologize .
5. If you want to have a coffee, a drink or even a light meal inside the hotel forget it ( exactly as it happens in what we are used to call apartment hotels) . After breakfast hours the only place is the tiny and overcrowded bar. The whole common area of this five star Relais and chateau is two ( exactly two ) couches at the entrance. As an alternative, as the concierge advices us, we can go to the cafe two blocks up Madison .
6. If you wish to use the internet from the comfort of your room and you are not in possession of a US mobile,,you will be punished @ 16 $ a day.
7. I have stayed in airport hotels and I didn't hear anything. In this hotel on the sixth floor you feel that the traffic is driving straight through your bedroom. Somebody must speak to them about insulation.
All in all these small or not so small details make all the difference between a 4 star apparthotel ( that's what they are) and what they claim to be! And the worst part is that the only reaction to any complaint is a typical apology without any effort to " compensate", for example by offering the coffee when we had to wait 50 minutes to get it or by sending up a flower or a chocolate, when they forgot to refil the mini bar. On the contrary, when I asked for a half day extension of my stay ( check out at 18:00), they tried to charge a full nights rate, which is something no hotel has ever dared to ask anywhere in the world.
Oh, and be aware with your credit card. They have the habit of blocking an absurd amount of money on arrival. They have blocked the total cost of the stay ( maybe their average customers are thieves and usually go away without paying) PLUS an extra 1000 $ per room. Maybe they thought that I would steal their towels! Sorry guys, get somebody to tell you about etiquette.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City