“Keep coming back for more...”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #88 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed at The Surrey numerous times over the past few years. From girls trips to romantic getaways with my husband, The Surrey never disappoints. Just booked another stay for July! I LOVE being on the Upper East Side and so close to Central Park. You can't beat the location. Staying at The Surrey is always like coming "home". The staff always remembers us and goes above and beyond to make our stay extraordinary.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmericanExpat92
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear AmericanExpat92,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor from your frequent stays with us.

I am delighted that you continue to enjoy our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and that our team members consistently exceed your expectations with warm, gracious and intuitive service delivery.

We truly thank you for your continued patronage and advocacy of The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back in July to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We recently stayed at The Surrey in NYC and were unsure of a nice hotel, since we had not been to NYC in many years. The Surrey is a small, quiet hotel with an excellent staff that was very welcoming and helpful. It is in a great location near central park and museum mile, with many small, great restaurants nearby. We will definitely go back! A special thanks to Mr. Shamar Brown at the front desk!

Room Tip: There was construction on the street below our room, but not the hotel's fault...just NYC!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene R, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Johnfa,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and world renowned restaurants.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service provided by our team members and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing Mr. Shamar Brown, Guest Service Agent, for the exceptional service he extended to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and found the place to be a very nice quality boutique hotel. Good location, far enough and close enough to the madding crowds. Doorstep of the park.

Staff were very good, polite, efficient and knowledgeable.

Nice bar and a great restaurant, see separate review.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear WFN,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor from your recent two night stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and that the warm and gracious service provided by our team members exceeded your expectations.

I concur that Michelin starred Café Boulud and Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades are our most special attributes.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at the Surrey for a long weekend and we had the greatest time. It's truly a beautiful boutique hotel. The rooms are stylish and bright and clean. And the staff treated us like we were celebrities. It's so close to Central Park, all of the museums on the Upper East Side, and fabulous shopping on Madison Avenue. It's hard in NYC to stay somewhere that's actually restful and the Surrey really was a wonderful retreat. It's cool enough for young people, but elegant enough for visitors who don't want to stay at downtown hotels that feel like nightclubs. We loved it! We'll definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank partydressy
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent long weekend with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, famed Madison Avenue shopping and museum mile and that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service provided by our team members I am truly pleased that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL

This hotel bears the sign of Relais and Chateau at this door, but that's probably the only relation it has with a Relais or a Chateau. Indeed the location is excellent ( if you are interested in this part of New York) and the rooms are large enough ( as described) BUT to be a real five star hotel you must provide the service and The Surrey doesn't.
To be more specific
1. It took us 24 hours and three calls to convince them to bring us the slippers.
2. I had to ask !!! for a minibar refill after 48 hours that nobody bothered to check our minibar
3. The second morning we had to wait 30 minutes for a breakfast table, because although there were free tables, they didn't have enough people to serve them ( in their words)
4. So for the next morning we took their advice and booked a table for breakfast at 10:00. We were there at 09:55. Our breakfast was served at 10:50 ( this is not a typo, it took them 50 minutes to sit us down and bring a coffee). When I asked for the manager, a young girl appeared 10 minutes later to apologize .
5. If you want to have a coffee, a drink or even a light meal inside the hotel forget it ( exactly as it happens in what we are used to call apartment hotels) . After breakfast hours the only place is the tiny and overcrowded bar. The whole common area of this five star Relais and chateau is two ( exactly two ) couches at the entrance. As an alternative, as the concierge advices us, we can go to the cafe two blocks up Madison .
6. If you wish to use the internet from the comfort of your room and you are not in possession of a US mobile,,you will be punished @ 16 $ a day.
7. I have stayed in airport hotels and I didn't hear anything. In this hotel on the sixth floor you feel that the traffic is driving straight through your bedroom. Somebody must speak to them about insulation.

All in all these small or not so small details make all the difference between a 4 star apparthotel ( that's what they are) and what they claim to be! And the worst part is that the only reaction to any complaint is a typical apology without any effort to " compensate", for example by offering the coffee when we had to wait 50 minutes to get it or by sending up a flower or a chocolate, when they forgot to refil the mini bar. On the contrary, when I asked for a half day extension of my stay ( check out at 18:00), they tried to charge a full nights rate, which is something no hotel has ever dared to ask anywhere in the world.

Oh, and be aware with your credit card. They have the habit of blocking an absurd amount of money on arrival. They have blocked the total cost of the stay ( maybe their average customers are thieves and usually go away without paying) PLUS an extra 1000 $ per room. Maybe they thought that I would steal their towels! Sorry guys, get somebody to tell you about etiquette.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank kYazitzoglou
Rene R, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am truly disheartened that we failed to exceed your expectations in so many regards. I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced from the exterior noise pollution and having to repeatedly request services to the credit authorizations and response to your concerns.

I would like to also apologize for annoyance caused by internet pricing. Kindly note that the pricing is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

I was further disappointed to learn that your experience in Café Boulud was not in keeping with the standards in which we pride ourselves on. I have spoken to Mr. Dominique Paulin, General Manager, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3654 as I would love the opportunity to further discuss your overall experience. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We wanted to stay in a five star boutique hotel on the UES and that is exactly what we got with the Surrey.our room was light and airy and the bathroom was a very good size with a great shower. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and highly efficient . The bar was a great little place for a pre or post dinner drink and really adds something to the hotel.We loved this hotel and wee very sad to leave. It will definitely be our first choice of hotel when we return to New York.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank n6traveller
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your week long stay with us.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations from our tranquil Upper East Side location, inspiring Lauren Rottet design and warm and gracious service provided by our team members.

We truly appreciate your advocacy of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to your new home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

A comfortable hotel with very helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble.
Cafe expensive, especially the wine but the food was well worth it. The subway was nearby that enabled you to get to the other areas of NY.Buying a subway ticket for the week was well worth it $30 plus tax. Problems getting to the hotel from JFK but managed well on way back via subway and airtrain. Much cheaper.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that your stay was most comfortable and that we were successful in providing you with caring and intuitive service delivery.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud and that our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to New York City’s transportation resources was convenient for you.