“Excellent hotel in great location”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #77 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
winchester
“Excellent hotel in great location”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

First of all the good stuff.
-Great location- a quick walk to Central Park or across to the Subway on Lexington.
-Friendly staff, especially the concierge staff couldn't do any more to help.
-Fantastic Cafe Boulud for breakfast and dinner.
- Great room and bathroom. Very comfy bed. Great shower!
- A misunderstanding over the room rate was immediately sorted out to our satisfaction with no questions asked.

Why not five stars then?

Unfortunately for two nights of our four night stay we were woken at between 1 and 2am by an incredibly load garbage truck being loaded and crushing garbage right under our window at the front of the hotel. This was a very loud operation, not helped by the operators of the truck shouting to make themselves heard over the racket. I didn't know what it was at first and was amazed when I looked out to see what was happening. I hoped it was a one off but when it happened the second time I was not amused. The whole operation took about 30 minutes, maybe more! I can't understand how this is acceptable even in NYC. I would suggest that to be sure of a good night's sleep that you request a room at the back.

Also I'm not sure whether it was just me but I could not get the complex lighting controls to give me anything other than full brightness of all lights or almost complete darkness.

One final small point. We were staying in NYC for my wife's 50th birthday, her first visit. The hotel were aware of this but no special token or effort was made to recognise this. Small things like that
make a big difference.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back to avoid the middle of the night garbage truck
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnofwin
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear johnofwin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

Although we exceeded your expectations in many regards, I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the lighting controls as well as the exterior noise pollution. I was truly disheartened to learn that you did not enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep.

I would further like to apologize for our error in arranging a special amenity for your wife’s birthday. I understand that a member of our Guest Relations team has been in contact with you and I hope that we have restored your faith and trust in us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everything was terrific. A first class NYC hotel of the highest quality! The rooms are terrific, the front desk is terrific, the location of tge hotel is perfect for everything. They will take good care of you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mr. David P
Dear Mr. David P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most generous feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the tranquil Upper East Side location and spacious guest accommodations to the personalized service provided by our team members.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We wanted to stay in a five star boutique hotel on the UES and that is exactly what we got with the Surrey.Our room was light and airy and the bathroom was a very good size with a great shower. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and highly efficient... I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in New York. It is close enough to be within walking distance but far enough to be quiet. I loved my stay at the Surrey and will absolutely return to stay at the Surrey when I visit NYC.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicola s
Dear Nicola S,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location and that our spacious guest accommodations and oversized glass enclosed showers exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

We sincerely thank you for your advocacy of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just returned from a weekend trip to NYC, staying one night at The Surrey and a second night at the Soho Grand. What a difference between the two properties, yet they were about the same price. I've stayed in nearly 30 different hotels in New York, and this is now my new favorite! The staff at The Surrey is warm, welcoming and so eager to make sure you have a perfect stay. The hotel restaurant, both service and food, was equally impressive. My friend and I also had spa services during our stay and, once again, PERFECTION. They even spoiled us with a glass of champagne when we were finished. Lots of lovely details everywhere. The incredibly nice front desk associate upgraded us to a beautiful one-bedroom suite that was exquisite! Everything was well-designed and immaculate. The bed was HUGE and so cozy. Finally, the location was ideal... close to the park, shops and a few excellent cafes. My only regret is not staying longer. To everyone at the hotel, JOB WELL DONE!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KerriJK
Dear KerriJK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are truly honored to have become your new favorite hotel in New York City.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and caring service delivery and I am thrilled that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

I am so pleased to learn that we further exceeded your expectations from our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding to the relaxing treatments in Cornelia Spa and the culinary delights from Michelin starred Café Boulud.

Houston
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. Fabulous location (right by central park and madison avenue shopping), updated rooms and bathrooms, great service. There's a lovely restaurant and bar in the hotel, too. Overall just a great experience! Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Travelingunraveling
Dear Travelingunraveling,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

I was also thrilled to learn that our spacious guest accommodations featuring an inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as the personalized service extended by our team members exceeded your expectations.

I concur that both Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and Michelin starred Café Boulud are our most special attributes.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I won this holiday so would never have been able to afford to stay he for 5 days otherwise! But the service, rooms and hotel in general were above expectations! Michael Cerrata and Lubna on concierge were better than fabulous and went above and beyond to provide us with some great recommendations!!!
If I could afford to stay here again.... I DEFINITELY WOULD!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Becs_M83
Dear Becs_M83,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are truly delighted that your overall experience at The Surrey exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the personalized, intuitive and caring service provided by our team members and I am thrilled to learn that our wonderful Concierge, most notably Mr Michael Cerrato and Ms Lubna Datchler, were successful in achieving this with you.

We sincerely thank you for your advocacy of The Surrey and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A very quiet upper east side hotel in Manhattan. Superb location, close the museum mile and 10m from Central Park.
We (my wife and I, with our 4 children) took the grand deluxe 2 bedrooms suite and the accommodation was fine, with enough space for all of us, which in NY is always a bonus. The rooms are well furnished, while the bathrooms could be improved. Minibar and amenities are quite good, with a Nespresso machine in each room. There are no common areas, so when booking a room make sure you get a large one, as you won't have anywhere else to stay. The restaurant is good enough, better for dinner than for breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paolo B
Dear Paolo B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Museum Mile and Central Park. I was also thrilled to learn that our spacious suite accommodations, honor bar featuring products by Dean & Deluca as well as Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your concerns about the bathrooms. We will be sure to take your comments into consideration as we consistently improve on our product. I was truly disappointed to learn that the common area in our lobby was not suitable for you and your family. I sincerely hope that this has not marred your overall impression of The Surrey.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.