“Great rooms, average service”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Great rooms, average service”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Have stayed many times in this hotel, and last two trips service has definitely declined. Room service tray left for two days, cottonbuds not replaced, staff not coming when asked to pick up clothes for ironing, lost laundry are just some of the stuff that happened on my last trip. It is a bit of "Fawlty Towers" over this hotel, yet staff are charming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Thank Ms. Anna B
Dear Ms. Anna B,

Thank you for sharing such candid feedback from your recent stays with us.

I was truly disappointed to learn that we feel short in exceeding your expectations in so many regards and I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences we caused to you. Rest assured that your experience is not in keeping with the service levels we pride ourselves on.

Please feel free to call on me at 646.358.3609 as we would love the opportunity to restore your faith and trust in us.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Beautiful accommodation, one of the best hotels we have stayed in, the hotel was so stunning we were impressed by every aspect of the design. We stayed here for our anniversary and we're upgraded to a suite and given a complimentary bottle of champagne which made our stay even better. Highly recommend this hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank James 88 C
Dear James 88 C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are honored to have been part of your special anniversary celebration.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and that our inspiring Lauren Rottet design exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Our 3 night stay at The Surrey was wonderful. The service was impeccable, the room was totally luxurious (especially the bed) and the rooftop patio bar provides the most incredible view of the NYC skyline glowing in the evening sunset. The Surrey manages to be both quaint (small enough that maneuvering around the hotel is easy - no wait for elevators, service is speedy, etc) and yet has an elegant, modern feel in all of the common areas and the rooms.
The biggest selling point for me is that the hotel is quiet (which is tough to find in NYC) and conveniently located just 1/2 block from Central Park and about 3 blocks from the subway. We were able to walk or take the subway every where.
Two nice extra touches that I was not expecting were courtesy umbrellas that were provided to us as we set out for dinner on a somewhat rainy evening (thanks to the very attentive doormen) and the availability of bottled which was provided each night during turn-down service.

2 Thank Julie V
Dear Julie V,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent three night stay with us.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations in so many regards from our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and New York City’s transportation resources to our custom Duxiana bedding and personalized service provided by our team members.

I concur that our Private Roof Garden is one of our most special attributes and that the views are truly breathtaking.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here one rainy weekend in April. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and were very quick to offer an umbrella to brave the weather. The design of the rooms and the lobby are very elegant and I enjoyed our stay. Beware of the showers in the rooms - as they are so strong it nearly took a layer of skin off. Other than that we very much enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Tell them it is your first time in the hotel and they might upgrade you. This did this for the coupl...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vancouver_Girl82
Dear Vancouver_Girl82,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members exceeded your expectations.

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that you did not enjoy our oversized glass enclosed showers on this occasion.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

From the step out off the cab we received excellent service. Staff was always pleasant, eager and attentive. Room was charming and comfortable. Restaurant and bar were also top notch. Location was quiet yet could walk to many attractions.

1 Thank Mrs. Sally Joan... T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location and that our spacious guest accommodations exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, caring and gracious service delivery and I am thrilled that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

I concur that Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades and Michelin starred Café Boulud are our most special attributes.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

a great bed and a great shower and not having to go anywhere to get a great meal sure sounds like home to me. add that comings and goings are managed with a smile and an offer to help (with the ability to back it up) and you've got a great recipe for a great place to stay. the concierges staff stays on top of thier game and the doormen are the best we've ever had in the city. and don't forget that you're less than a block away from being able to walk around the best parts of central park, and short walks to most of the best museums in the city. our third trip to the surrey only confirmed for us that they get what it takes to keep us coming back, and we're doing just that in another month.

1 Thank Mr. And Mrs. Er... W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent stays with us. I am honored that you have become a fan of The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and Museum Mile and that our custom Duxiana bedding and oversized glass enclosed showers exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service delivery provided by our team members and I would like to thank you especially for recognizing our wonderful Concierge and Doormen for the exceptional service they extended to you.

We sincerely thank you for your continued patronage and advocacy for The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I usually stay at Plaza Athene when I visit. I was traveling with my sister and mother and needed a large room. Well it was a perfect size with a great seating area in front of the fireplace. Great view of the city below. Good size bathroom for 3 ladies with 2 sinks and separate bath and awesome shower and a closet. Beds were very comfortable and and easy to live in.
Room service was not very good. And of course always expensive. When I order warm cream for my hot tea I usually expect the high end places to Know better and not give me cold cream, I order it just in case, well of course it came cold. Then we were missing items from our order. Nothing irritate me more. The room was cleaned in a rush. So it was not very clean upon our arrival and I had to order extra robe and slippers for our 3rd. Housekeeping was so so throughout the stay.
The bar and restaurant were wonderful! Loved going to the bar after a long day out and about. And what can you say about The restaurant? It's Daniel after all and the reason I booked the hotel. staff was very nice and room service tried but fumbled.
I loved the hotel and it's proximity to the park and museum and great little restaurants. And of course shopping! I will be back every 3rd stay because of the location and large rooms.

Room Tip: Get street view some have balconies book that but they only have king beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dvswank
Dear dvswank,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that our idyllic Upper East Side location, spacious accommodations and Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extent my most heartfelt apologies that we fell short in regards to In-Room Dining and the Housekeeping services. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with our entire team in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3609 should you wish to further discuss your experience.

We sincerely hope that these events have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.