“Average at Best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Average at Best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has totally got it wrong. I chose the Surrey thinking I'd stay in the upper east side to slow down a tad during my trip and spoil myself.
Positives- if you want a slower pace the location is a definite tick and it's so close to museums, Central Park and some serious credit card burning down Madison ave. My room was quite large which is fab for NYC and I found the bed really comfortable. I also had some yummy afternoon snacks at the bar downstairs.
Downsides- hotel relies on location alone and often makes statements that their pricing is 'like' other others in the area. Look I'm on holiday and generally prepared to pay whatever because hey that's what happens on holiday but when I saw on the breakfast menu that a large latte was $16 I had to laugh! Are they for real? And wifi is a daily rate I think of around $15 which is ridiculous as well. If your selling yourself as a upmarket hotel you have to follow up with the goods. The staff generally (some not all) spoke down to me which I found so rude, aren't I paying to stay here and your job is to make me feel welcome? I've stayed at many 4-5 star hotels and I just found this whole establishment full of pretenders.
The hotel has heard my concerns and offered to upgrade (which I appreciate) me next stay but I'm still not 100% if this is the kind of NYC experience I want it get myself into again. I would say if you are in a older age bracket this hotel would probably more be for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kittyau
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Kittyau,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience at with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping and that our spacious guest accommodations, custom Duxiana bedding and Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I most sincerely regret that your experience was not in keeping with the high levels of service we pride ourselves on.

Please accept my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our wireless internet and in room dining pricing. Kindly note that the pricing for these services is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

I genuinely hope that these events have not marred your overall impress of The Surrey and we look forward to restoring your trust and faith in us. Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3609 as it will be my pleasure to further discuss your experience. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Rene Roman
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My taxi driver from EWR hadn't a clue where he was going and dropped me half a block too far up Maddison. Luckily the doorman at the Surrey was paying attention and arrived to get my luggage in a flash, great skills.

The girl at the front desk could not have been more pleasant or efficient and so from being very stressed by a long journey in from Newark with a taxi driver who had to constantly ask me for directions, didn't stop at the place I told him, and then was upset when I didn't tip him... I was now in my very pleasant room calming down under a very powerful shower, great result.

The hotel itself is smallish but has nice fittings and decor. Good bar with bar snack food downstairs and a rooftop bar upstairs. The restaurant is named for a star chef and though I didn't have diner there I did have two breakfasts which were excellent.

The gym is very small and could do with a bit more attention, although I think that the hotel target client type will probably not be avid gym bunnies and so it's maybe not high on the to do list.

I've given them 4*, they possibly could have had 5 if their prices were slightly less, yes it's location is good and it has good amenities (except Gym) but close to $600 is a bit steep for what it is ..

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was highly recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The room was really clean, comfortable and well appointed. All of the staff we interacted with were very friendly and helpful, from the bellman to room service.

I was happy with being in a more quiet part of the city, away from all the tourist congestion. We were still able to walk to museums, the park is so close and there are restaurants close by as well.

That being said, I had read reviews that the hotel had problems with room service. We arrived really late, so we gave it a try anyway. It did take a bit to get connected the first night, but once we were we had no problems. We tried the mixology service, great cocktails in your room, perfect. With Cafe Boulud in the hotel, the food was always great. We ended up ordering in for breakfasts most days as well as any time we are looking for a snack. We also canceled other dinner reservations to eat in the restaurant downstairs. It was an excellent meal. I would highly recommend eating at Cafe Boulud!

I would definitely stay again! If you are looking to walk out into the hustle and bustle of the city, might not be for you. If you don't like Costco on the weekend or dealing with huge crowds, The Surrey is perfect!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Troy P, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Efshany,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Museum Mile and Central Park. I was also thrilled to learn that our spacious suite accommodations, as well as Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

We are proud to offer premium spirits as part of our In-Room Cocktail Program where our Surrey Mixologist can prepare classic concoctions for you in the comfort of your salon or suite and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy such a delightful amenity.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members and we are thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, we are disappointed to learn that your room service experience did not exceed your expectations. Please forgive us for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We’ve stayed at the Plaza, the Carlyle and the Pierre. But if you want a great stay in Midtown, the Surrey is probably the best hotel in NY- and it’s a few dollars less. A few doors from Central Park, this hotel on 76th Street is a lot quieter then Park Ave, Central Park South, or 5th Ave. The deluxe upgrade is definitely worth the extra cost; these rooms are very large with discreet sitting areas. The king bed had plenty of extra pillows and a feather comforter, and the roman shower will knock your socks off - good water pressure is not always standard in luxury NY hotels. The lobby welcomes you with a kind of strange Chuck Close portrait, but the “look” is echoed by the unusual photographic artwork that permeates the décor. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated and feature 50” LCD TVs. The gym is easy, clean and comfortable, and like the other amenities is accessible by elevator with a swipe from your room key. The service was excellent, and the staff very accommodating- we arrived early, around 11am, and since our room was ready, we went straight on up. Some hotels don’t even try to grant an early check-in, here it’s the norm. For some reason, the priciest NY hotels all charge extra for WIFI, the Surrey is no exception. I wonder why? We also enjoyed a sensational breakfast in the hotel, but orange juice was $7 and the coffee almost as much. Great spot, enjoy it.

Room Tip: See if you can get a King Deluxe, its worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Troy P, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Thomas B,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park to our spacious guest accommodation with custom Duxiana bedding, oversized glass enclosed showers and inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

We are thrilled that you have become such an advocate for The Surrey. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Can't say anything more other than this hotel is amazing, rooms are stunning, it's definately the best hotel I have ever been to, with the biggest bed and would recommend to everyone. I want to go back! Loved it and would return tomorrow if u could. Thankyou

Stayed January 2014
Troy P, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Jodiet1985,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you have become such an advocate for The Surrey.

We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

A luxurious hotel in the middle of Mahattan. We chose to stay 2 nights at The Surrey due to the Relais & Chateaux connection and we were not disappointed. We experienced a very personalized service and thoroughly enjoyed the princely room we were given on check-in. The highlight is the roof top bar. Susan is an admirable host, who took time out to advise our travel plans. Try to make it just before sun down, the transformation in skyline is remarkable.The shower is agreeably the best shower we've ever had, but strange not to have a bathtub. I would have liked to have coffee facilities in the room and expect free wifi wherever I travel so disappointed not to receive it in The Surrey. My thanks to Rachel and Susan for what was a quite memorable stay in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stevie_Macs-1
Troy P, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Stevie_macs,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent visit.

We are delighted that our spacious guest accommodations, oversized glass enclosed showers and In-Room Dining provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, we are disappointed to learn that our wireless internet fees caused an inconvenience for you. Please know that we offer complimentary wireless Internet services in our lobby and our pricing is in keeping with the other luxury properties of the Upper East Side.

Kindly note that our suite accommodations are the only ones equipped with soaking tubs and are available at a premium. In addition, we provide Nespresso machines upon request and we will be happy to do so, on future stays.

We concur that our Private Roof Garden is one of our most special amenities and we are thrilled that you were able to enjoy the breathtaking views.

We pride ourselves in providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service which is why we are especially pleased to learn that our entire team, most notably Ms. Susan Bodkin, our wonderful Food & Beverage Manager, and Ms. Rachel Leyland, our excellent Director of Guest Relations, were successful in making you feel comfortable in your home away from home.

We would feel honored to have you visit us again when your travels next bring you to New York. In the interim, we remain at your service.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

we had decided to go to NY on short notice, and selected this hotel for its location, it was our first stay, we had not prior knowledge of the Hotel, when we arrived, everybody was pleasant and gave us the impression they were expecting us, our room was large, clean and quiet. We stayed 3 nights, and from the first day, till our departure felt as "home" . We will return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Mr. Danil P
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Mr. Danil P.,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the tranquil Upper East Side location and spacious guest accommodations to the personalized service provided by our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at your home away from home! In the interim, I remain at your service.

Rene Roman