“World Class Small Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Surrey

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Surrey
Ranked #54 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“World Class Small Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Surrey takes you by surprise. First, it is a prewar building with all that brings--well insulated from sound, gracious in its design-understated elegance is the rule here. There is not a garish gold tone bathroom fixture in sight. The rooms are also quite very fairly priced for NYC. You feel as though you are visiting your upper east side apartment, not a hotel. The bar and restaurant are both by Daniel Boulud--who in my view is the best in the world at what he does. The roof deck is a hidden gem-drinks and small bites above it all--but not too high up--and you can watch the evening unfold. The staff is gracious and without peer-and with the advent of Uber-you can be anywhere in Manhattan in minutes. Why throw your self in the gaping tourist maw of midtown when you can have the serene (yes, in NYC ) side street steps from Central Park. Large -quiet- spotless rooms, attentive service throughout. This place is perfect. You will sleep, BTW, like you have never slept in a hotel before on the very lux Dux beds. Your cab driver may have trouble finding it, but you will ever forget it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Mookie61,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location steps from Central Park and with close proximity to New York City’s transportation resources as well as our spacious guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding and inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

I concur that Michelin starred Café Boulud and Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades are among our most special attributes and I am thrilled that you enjoyed their culinary delights and innovative libations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, intuitive and caring service delivery and I am so pleased to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at your home away from home. In the interim, I remain at your service

Rene Roman
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My husband arrived in NYC our fav holiday destination our cab pulled up and we were greeted like family offered a glass of bubbles and escorted to the checkin desk! The staff we helpful friendly and the suite was very accommodating and comfortable. The dine in options were very delicious especially Cafe Boulud.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very nice, clean hotel. friendly staff. Allowed me to check in early, which was great. Only downer was no bath tub, but shower was fantastic. Good sized room, subway about 10 min walk away from hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has totally got it wrong. I chose the Surrey thinking I'd stay in the upper east side to slow down a tad during my trip and spoil myself.
Positives- if you want a slower pace the location is a definite tick and it's so close to museums, Central Park and some serious credit card burning down Madison ave. My room was quite large which is fab for NYC and I found the bed really comfortable. I also had some yummy afternoon snacks at the bar downstairs.
Downsides- hotel relies on location alone and often makes statements that their pricing is 'like' other others in the area. Look I'm on holiday and generally prepared to pay whatever because hey that's what happens on holiday but when I saw on the breakfast menu that a large latte was $16 I had to laugh! Are they for real? And wifi is a daily rate I think of around $15 which is ridiculous as well. If your selling yourself as a upmarket hotel you have to follow up with the goods. The staff generally (some not all) spoke down to me which I found so rude, aren't I paying to stay here and your job is to make me feel welcome? I've stayed at many 4-5 star hotels and I just found this whole establishment full of pretenders.
The hotel has heard my concerns and offered to upgrade (which I appreciate) me next stay but I'm still not 100% if this is the kind of NYC experience I want it get myself into again. I would say if you are in a older age bracket this hotel would probably more be for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kittyau
Rene R, Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Kittyau,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent experience at with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and famed Madison Avenue shopping and that our spacious guest accommodations, custom Duxiana bedding and Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I most sincerely regret that your experience was not in keeping with the high levels of service we pride ourselves on.

Please accept my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our wireless internet and in room dining pricing. Kindly note that the pricing for these services is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

I genuinely hope that these events have not marred your overall impress of The Surrey and we look forward to restoring your trust and faith in us. Please feel free to call on me directly at 646.358.3609 as it will be my pleasure to further discuss your experience. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Rene Roman
Assistant General Manager
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My taxi driver from EWR hadn't a clue where he was going and dropped me half a block too far up Maddison. Luckily the doorman at the Surrey was paying attention and arrived to get my luggage in a flash, great skills.

The girl at the front desk could not have been more pleasant or efficient and so from being very stressed by a long journey in from Newark with a taxi driver who had to constantly ask me for directions, didn't stop at the place I told him, and then was upset when I didn't tip him... I was now in my very pleasant room calming down under a very powerful shower, great result.

The hotel itself is smallish but has nice fittings and decor. Good bar with bar snack food downstairs and a rooftop bar upstairs. The restaurant is named for a star chef and though I didn't have diner there I did have two breakfasts which were excellent.

The gym is very small and could do with a bit more attention, although I think that the hotel target client type will probably not be avid gym bunnies and so it's maybe not high on the to do list.

I've given them 4*, they possibly could have had 5 if their prices were slightly less, yes it's location is good and it has good amenities (except Gym) but close to $600 is a bit steep for what it is ..

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was highly recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The room was really clean, comfortable and well appointed. All of the staff we interacted with were very friendly and helpful, from the bellman to room service.

I was happy with being in a more quiet part of the city, away from all the tourist congestion. We were still able to walk to museums, the park is so close and there are restaurants close by as well.

That being said, I had read reviews that the hotel had problems with room service. We arrived really late, so we gave it a try anyway. It did take a bit to get connected the first night, but once we were we had no problems. We tried the mixology service, great cocktails in your room, perfect. With Cafe Boulud in the hotel, the food was always great. We ended up ordering in for breakfasts most days as well as any time we are looking for a snack. We also canceled other dinner reservations to eat in the restaurant downstairs. It was an excellent meal. I would highly recommend eating at Cafe Boulud!

I would definitely stay again! If you are looking to walk out into the hustle and bustle of the city, might not be for you. If you don't like Costco on the weekend or dealing with huge crowds, The Surrey is perfect!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Troy P, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Efshany,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to Museum Mile and Central Park. I was also thrilled to learn that our spacious suite accommodations, as well as Michelin starred Café Boulud exceeded your expectations.

We are proud to offer premium spirits as part of our In-Room Cocktail Program where our Surrey Mixologist can prepare classic concoctions for you in the comfort of your salon or suite and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy such a delightful amenity.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members and we are thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, we are disappointed to learn that your room service experience did not exceed your expectations. Please forgive us for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. This is certainly not indicative of the service experience that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Troy Pade
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We’ve stayed at the Plaza, the Carlyle and the Pierre. But if you want a great stay in Midtown, the Surrey is probably the best hotel in NY- and it’s a few dollars less. A few doors from Central Park, this hotel on 76th Street is a lot quieter then Park Ave, Central Park South, or 5th Ave. The deluxe upgrade is definitely worth the extra cost; these rooms are very large with discreet sitting areas. The king bed had plenty of extra pillows and a feather comforter, and the roman shower will knock your socks off - good water pressure is not always standard in luxury NY hotels. The lobby welcomes you with a kind of strange Chuck Close portrait, but the “look” is echoed by the unusual photographic artwork that permeates the décor. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated and feature 50” LCD TVs. The gym is easy, clean and comfortable, and like the other amenities is accessible by elevator with a swipe from your room key. The service was excellent, and the staff very accommodating- we arrived early, around 11am, and since our room was ready, we went straight on up. Some hotels don’t even try to grant an early check-in, here it’s the norm. For some reason, the priciest NY hotels all charge extra for WIFI, the Surrey is no exception. I wonder why? We also enjoyed a sensational breakfast in the hotel, but orange juice was $7 and the coffee almost as much. Great spot, enjoy it.

Room Tip: See if you can get a King Deluxe, its worth the extra.