My husband and I have stayed at the Surrey twice in the last month and have found a new gem! The hotel is located on a lovely side street off Madison Avenue on the Upper East side (76th). Upon arrival, the staff is welcoming and very personal. The lobby is serene and soft (quite different from the Mark Hotel around the corner). I especially love the inlaid mosaic floor - beautiful.
We stayed both nights in a Grande deluxe room with a separate living room, but even the regular rooms are lovely. Everything is decorated in a soft gray palette with lots of white and gray marble. The rooms are so quiet that you can't believe you're in NYC! The only side note is that on our last stay this week they were working on building something on the penthouse floor - maybe a rooftop lounge, and the construction was ongoing from 9 -5 pm both days. I only noticed because we were on the 16th floor.
I ordered room service for breakfast and was shocked when i was told it would arrive within 30 minutes, but would try to get it there sooner. 15 minutes later ( I kid you not), a beautiful breakfast arrived from Cafe Boulud! It was hot, and they did not miss a thing!
We have eaten at Daniel's restaurant, Cafe Boulud (adjoining to the hotel), which is spectacular and I highly recommend trying it. I have had cocktails in the Hotel bar. It is very dark and clubby. Done is beautiful grays and black, with a modern, seductive feel. I would also recommend going around the corner to The Mark for a drink. The bar is very cool and happening, but I would not recommend Jean Georges at the Mark. It was ok, but really nothing special. We had the Roast chicken for two, which someone had recommended and it was dry and very blah. There are much better places at that price - one being Cafe Boulud!
The staff was terrific at the Surrey and all seemed to be trying very hard to make everyone's stay, their best experience ever. They offer you bottled water as you leave for your outing and for your trip home. A lovely warm towel greeted us upon our check-in and I noticed constant attention to the smallest details while staying there.
The Surrey is my new favorite and we have stayed all over NYC as my husband works in the city and we try to spend two nights a month there. Run to make your reservation - it is the best deal in town right now!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, TravelUp, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City