“Ssh! Elegant and friendly, Manhattans best-kept luxurious secret”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #89 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My daughters flew down from Dublin to meet me en route from Haiti back to Africa, and the girls had researched carefully before their first trip to The Big Apple. We were not dissapointed - from the moment of arrival until we sadly had to leave the beautiful suite overlooking Central Park we received exemplary service with a smile....staff were courteous and helpful, assisting us to plan our days shopping and evening entertainment ( before getting our taxi to see Promises Promises on Broadway we were treated to an impromptu champagne pre-theatre drink at the beautiful candle wall in the foyer ) ... and the bar is a work of art in itself, dazzling modern pieces yet comfortable and beautifully lit.
The rooms themselves are so good you have to take off your shoes before you step inside.....tasteful, restful decor, beds to sleep in for a hundred years were this not New York....slippers, bathrobe and even great hair conditioner (little things mean a lot to 3 girls getting ready to hit the town...!)
And its a stroll to Central Park on a beautiful Spring morning. We'll definitely be back - just dont tell anybody!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2010

Dear MTONEILL_10,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. My staff and I are pleased to read your comments and see that we could create and memorable experience for you and your daughters. Seems you had a great time in NYC and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few days and absolutely loved it. The location was perfect. We upgraded to a suite and loved everything about the room. We had a large balcony so we were able to fully enjoy the views. Our room was very well appointed, spotless, and the service from everyone was fantastic. We love staying at smaller properties and were not let down with The Surrey.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2010

Dear 1995sb21,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for posting your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general Manager. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and experience and will gladly share with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and until then, I wish you the best.

Warm regards!

Reviewed 20 April 2010

4 stars and 3/4. Excellent hotel in a perfect location. Very helpful staff and concierge services. We spent three nights there and got brilliant dining options from Michael. Lovely decorated. The bed and pillows are very comfortable and the linens are luxurious. Splendid toiletries. We loved the attention to details. The missing 1/4 goes to a missed turn-down service on Saturday; no big deal though. Very serene and relaxing atmosphere. It was a brilliant choice for a special weekend in the Big Apple.

Dear Pleiade98,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your post on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed the experience and our staff. My apology for the missed turndown, I will address.

I look forward to welcoming you back to NYC and The Surrey in the near future.

All the best.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

From the moment I arrived after stressful night of canceled flights and taking a train instead, it all melted away when I entered The Surrey. We stayed here on our honeymoon and it was a romantic sweet place.
Its in a nice historic district of Manhattan. The hotel is small and very tastefully artistic. The service is impeccable as the hotel. There is a lovely jazz bar downstairs as well as french restaurant.
Only one more thing honeymooners can ask for though, is it possible to order breakfast anytime of the day? Its a shame it stopped at 10am. :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2010

Dear Angelbabylove,

Firstly, no offense to your significant other. (referring to your screename :) )

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for the wonderful comments on your stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am delighted to hear that we could be a small part of your romatic weekend and help you overcome your headaches on your trip to New York. I will be happy to share your comments with my team. I do understand and appreciate the comment on breakfast, I will work with Cafe Boulud on trying to make adjustments.

I look forward to your return visit and thank you again for your comments. All the best.

Reviewed 9 April 2010

Celebrating a special event at The Surrey. Check-in and front desk staff great. Nice UES location for Museum Mile and Mad. Ave shopping. Dinner at Bould's restaraunt was nice, (not spectacular, as with Restaurant Daniel, but very nice and in the Hotel, so who cares?). Michael the concierge resourcefully and graciously came though with a challenging last minute request and saved the day for my dining companion. The Dux beds are great, and the Sferra linens are luxurious. We liked the selection and reasonable tarrifs at the mini bar (although we did not partake). One highlight of our trip for my companion was a chance encounter with two lovely Wire-Haired Fox Terriers getting off of the elevator (We love pet-friendly hotels!). However, a couple of hiccups during our stay knocked a "star" off of the property's rating: Our room was not as expected upon check-in (although this was handled well by the staff). Missed turn-down on a Sat. night- I LOVE turn-down! Had to call twice for towels the next AM. Also, I agree with a previous reviewer who missed some type of brochure in their room (and I thought I was just being nit-pickey!). I did find a spa brochure in the gym, however. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at The Surrey.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2010

Dear Dirigible,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for submitting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you could experience our wonderful Michael. he truly is a star and we are very fortunate to have him. i am disappointed about the inconsistency of Turndown service and will address with Housekeeping. Thank you for bringing to my attention.

Yes we are very much a dog-friendly hotel, and in fact have a hotel dog. It really is fun and brings a different feel to a hotel.

Looking forward for your return to the Surrey. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and thank you again.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

Our stay at The Surrey was beyond luxurious and comfortable! After sight-seeing all day, it was magnificent to soak in the marble tub or the double shower and then relax in the superior bedding! Each day, we returned to chocolate-dipped cookies, fresh fruit and comfy slippers waiting at bedside. I have never had such a great night of sleep....EVER! Your staff attended to every need and did so with friendliness, promptness, and most of all, professionalism. They treated us like we were family. They were knowledgable about the city and assisted us with our plans and travel needs....from getting us immediate transportation and restaurant reservations to checking us in at the airport! The suites are extra roomy, stylish and comfortable. My daughter took advantage of an unbelievable massage at the spa. We truly hated to leave! You should be extremely proud of your SUPERIOR staff, property and its reputation for being the BEST in NYC! We will DEFINITELY return.....and I hope SOON! Thank you for the fabulous stay! I highly recommend this hotel for the very BEST stay possible in NYC!

Reviewed 6 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Surrey for 3 days over a beautiful spring weekend. Could not have chosen a better hotel. The location is perfect, steps away from Central park, right next to Madison Ave and a short walk to many other attractions. The hotel staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The room was the perfect size with good ventilation. The bathroom was amazing. We stayed in a king deluxe room and the bed was one of the best I have slept on. Room service was exemplary as well. Everything about this hotel was outstanding making my birthday weekend that much more special. Thank you and we look forward to visiting NY just so we can stay at The Surrey again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2010

Dear TravelBH,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for submitting a note on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Surrey experience,hotel and of course location.

I will gladly share your comments with the team.

Thank you again and hope to welcome you back in the near future.