“Lovely Friendly Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to New York. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly. Five stars go to Daniel and Michael, the concierges, Coco who greeted us with a wonderful smile each day, and all the reception staff. The room was extremely comfortable - the only down side being the lack of a bath which would have been very welcome after a walk around the city. I must add that the hotel had offered us an upgraded room on the 16th floor, but my husband prefers to stay on a lower floor.

The location was perfect being so close to Central Park and various museums.

The hotel loses a star due to the closure of the bar one evening without warning due to a 'celebrity' taking over the area. This was extremely annoying. We arrived back at the hotel after a long walk looking forward to a relaxing evening in the bar, only to be told it was not open for guests! We asked if we could possibly have a drink in the lobby area or at one of the outdoor tables which were all empty, but were told this was not possible. This put a dampener on our evening and I know there were quite a few disgruntled guests. I feel a hotel of this standard should have made alternative arrangements for guests and to have advised them accordingly.

Overall though we loved The Surrey and would certainly stay there again - with the assurance that all the facilities the hotel offers are available at all times to guests.

Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 15 May 2010
Dear Jamiebath,

My apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your post.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I appreciate the wonderful comments but the one that touches me the most is of Michael, Koko and Daniel. They are truly assets for the hotel and the reason for our success.

I will apologize for the poor communication of the bar closure and have already shared your comments with the Cafe Boulud team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
boston
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My wife and I recently returned from a long weekend in NYC. Our stay at the Surrey was a definite plus to our overall experience in the City. The location in a relatively quiet part of Madison Ave and is close to Central Park, which was exceedingly beautiful at this time of year. The staff were all accommodating, pleasant, and friendly. There is a small but adequate workout room on the 2nd floor. The room was lovely, with a clean, spacious, and modern bath. The bed was more comfortable for my wife than for me. We did have to request softer pillows; but the staff quickly remedied the situation. My only complaint would be that the heating system's fan was too noisy.

1 Thank BostonGoose
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
Dear MTONEILL_10,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. My staff and I are pleased to read your comments and see that we could create and memorable experience for you and your daughters. Seems you had a great time in NYC and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you again.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My daughters flew down from Dublin to meet me en route from Haiti back to Africa, and the girls had researched carefully before their first trip to The Big Apple. We were not dissapointed - from the moment of arrival until we sadly had to leave the beautiful suite overlooking Central Park we received exemplary service with a smile....staff were courteous and helpful, assisting us to plan our days shopping and evening entertainment ( before getting our taxi to see Promises Promises on Broadway we were treated to an impromptu champagne pre-theatre drink at the beautiful candle wall in the foyer ) ... and the bar is a work of art in itself, dazzling modern pieces yet comfortable and beautifully lit.
The rooms themselves are so good you have to take off your shoes before you step inside.....tasteful, restful decor, beds to sleep in for a hundred years were this not New York....slippers, bathrobe and even great hair conditioner (little things mean a lot to 3 girls getting ready to hit the town...!)
And its a stroll to Central Park on a beautiful Spring morning. We'll definitely be back - just dont tell anybody!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 13 May 2010
Dear MTONEILL_10,

santa barbara
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few days and absolutely loved it. The location was perfect. We upgraded to a suite and loved everything about the room. We had a large balcony so we were able to fully enjoy the views. Our room was very well appointed, spotless, and the service from everyone was fantastic. We love staying at smaller properties and were not let down with The Surrey.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
Dear 1995sb21,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for posting your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general Manager. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and experience and will gladly share with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and until then, I wish you the best.

Warm regards!
Longwood, FL
Reviewed 20 April 2010

4 stars and 3/4. Excellent hotel in a perfect location. Very helpful staff and concierge services. We spent three nights there and got brilliant dining options from Michael. Lovely decorated. The bed and pillows are very comfortable and the linens are luxurious. Splendid toiletries. We loved the attention to details. The missing 1/4 goes to a missed turn-down service on Saturday; no big deal though. Very serene and relaxing atmosphere. It was a brilliant choice for a special weekend in the Big Apple.

Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 22 April 2010
Dear Pleiade98,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your post on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed the experience and our staff. My apology for the missed turndown, I will address.

I look forward to welcoming you back to NYC and The Surrey in the near future.

All the best.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 13 April 2010

From the moment I arrived after stressful night of canceled flights and taking a train instead, it all melted away when I entered The Surrey. We stayed here on our honeymoon and it was a romantic sweet place.
Its in a nice historic district of Manhattan. The hotel is small and very tastefully artistic. The service is impeccable as the hotel. There is a lovely jazz bar downstairs as well as french restaurant.
Only one more thing honeymooners can ask for though, is it possible to order breakfast anytime of the day? Its a shame it stopped at 10am. :)

Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 14 April 2010
Dear Angelbabylove,

Firstly, no offense to your significant other. (referring to your screename :) )

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for the wonderful comments on your stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am delighted to hear that we could be a small part of your romatic weekend and help you overcome your headaches on your trip to New York. I will be happy to share your comments with my team. I do understand and appreciate the comment on breakfast, I will work with Cafe Boulud on trying to make adjustments.

I look forward to your return visit and thank you again for your comments. All the best.
Milford, CT
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Celebrating a special event at The Surrey. Check-in and front desk staff great. Nice UES location for Museum Mile and Mad. Ave shopping. Dinner at Bould's restaraunt was nice, (not spectacular, as with Restaurant Daniel, but very nice and in the Hotel, so who cares?). Michael the concierge resourcefully and graciously came though with a challenging last minute request and saved the day for my dining companion. The Dux beds are great, and the Sferra linens are luxurious. We liked the selection and reasonable tarrifs at the mini bar (although we did not partake). One highlight of our trip for my companion was a chance encounter with two lovely Wire-Haired Fox Terriers getting off of the elevator (We love pet-friendly hotels!). However, a couple of hiccups during our stay knocked a "star" off of the property's rating: Our room was not as expected upon check-in (although this was handled well by the staff). Missed turn-down on a Sat. night- I LOVE turn-down! Had to call twice for towels the next AM. Also, I agree with a previous reviewer who missed some type of brochure in their room (and I thought I was just being nit-pickey!). I did find a spa brochure in the gym, however. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at The Surrey.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 12 April 2010
Dear Dirigible,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and Thank you for submitting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you could experience our wonderful Michael. he truly is a star and we are very fortunate to have him. i am disappointed about the inconsistency of Turndown service and will address with Housekeeping. Thank you for bringing to my attention.

Yes we are very much a dog-friendly hotel, and in fact have a hotel dog. It really is fun and brings a different feel to a hotel.

Looking forward for your return to the Surrey. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and thank you again.