“Great Stay”

The Surrey
Ranked #89 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We have stayed at much more famous hotels in New York in the past, but the Surrey has been the best. The rooms were very good, a good size with a really good bed and good comfortable furniture, the shower was the best attraction of the whole room. All of the staff were outstanding, from the concierge/reception staff, through to the maids and the maintenance team, all were very friendly and keen to ensure that we had a good stay. We were allowed use frige/microwave to to store/worm up our pet's food all was a nice touch and very enjoyable when we also got a pet pilot kit. The hotel is in a great location, half a block from Central park and MET (always new exhibits), close to museums/galleries, landmarks, upscale boutiques and restaurants on famed Madison Avenue shopping. Endless options—all conveniently located in one of Manhattan’s most exclusive neighborhoods.
For breakfast and Lunch we drink protein shakes, so we brought our blender with us. But there is a fabulous French cuisine Café Boulud Inspired by my husband's favorite Chef - Daniel Boulud, great food, where we celebrated our anniversary. There is a private rooftop garden lounge, and I hear it is lovely, but regrettably we overlooked this during our stay as there was so much to keep our imaginations running with having the greatest time in my favorite City made me and my family filled with joy. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Previous trip advisor reviewers were right.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2010

Dear et49589,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your thoughts and will gladly share with my staff. Since the roof Garden is not open until the 22nd of May, you did not miss much, but after that, please come and enjoy.

Looking forward to your return visit and thank you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 5 May 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this boutique hotel. The location is great and the staff is accommodating and friendly. The rooms are a bit small but well done after extensive renovation. We enjoyed the Cafe for lunch and a glass of wine at an outdoor table. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2010

Dear Piatty73,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Surrey and thank you for your response.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read you enjoyed your experience and Cafe Boulud. In regards to your room size, you must try the Grand Deluxe Salons on your next visit, much larger rooms.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

Okay everyone, I consider myself a hotel snob. I LOVE GREAT HOTELS! I used to think that the St. Regis was tops, until this past weekend. They have nothing on this wonderful, relaxing, gracious, impeccably trained staff where everyone greets you with a smile, hotel. Period. As far as my husband is concerned, this is the ONLY hotel that he will consider staying in while in the city, and he doesn't like the city.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear MESMU,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your wonderful response.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to ready your comments and even more to win you over as a loyal guest. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return.

Thank you again from your friends at The Surrey.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

I am torn to write this review for fear that others will discover this amazing hotel. My stay with the Surrey was wonderful from beginnning to end. I felt well cared for and spoiled throughout my entire stay. The room was spacious, beautiful and extremely clean The bed was by far one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in - very soft, craddling, comforting. The staff was friendly, helpful and engaging without being intrusive. The location couldn't be better - within 2 minutes you'll find yourself meandering through Central Park. This hotel is beautifully decorated and clearly well run by management. Not a single detail was overlooked. I couldn't have asked for more during my stay. Thank you! Not only would I recommend this hotel to business associates and friends alike, I will go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Dear TRAVELLING055,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey for your visit to NYC and thank you for posting your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to read your comments and to share your experience with my team. I am happy to know that we have gained a fan of the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you again and my best to you.

Reviewed 3 May 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to New York. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly. Five stars go to Daniel and Michael, the concierges, Coco who greeted us with a wonderful smile each day, and all the reception staff. The room was extremely comfortable - the only down side being the lack of a bath which would have been very welcome after a walk around the city. I must add that the hotel had offered us an upgraded room on the 16th floor, but my husband prefers to stay on a lower floor.

The location was perfect being so close to Central Park and various museums.

The hotel loses a star due to the closure of the bar one evening without warning due to a 'celebrity' taking over the area. This was extremely annoying. We arrived back at the hotel after a long walk looking forward to a relaxing evening in the bar, only to be told it was not open for guests! We asked if we could possibly have a drink in the lobby area or at one of the outdoor tables which were all empty, but were told this was not possible. This put a dampener on our evening and I know there were quite a few disgruntled guests. I feel a hotel of this standard should have made alternative arrangements for guests and to have advised them accordingly.

Overall though we loved The Surrey and would certainly stay there again - with the assurance that all the facilities the hotel offers are available at all times to guests.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2010

Dear Jamiebath,

My apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your post.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I appreciate the wonderful comments but the one that touches me the most is of Michael, Koko and Daniel. They are truly assets for the hotel and the reason for our success.

I will apologize for the poor communication of the bar closure and have already shared your comments with the Cafe Boulud team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey.

Reviewed 27 April 2010

My wife and I recently returned from a long weekend in NYC. Our stay at the Surrey was a definite plus to our overall experience in the City. The location in a relatively quiet part of Madison Ave and is close to Central Park, which was exceedingly beautiful at this time of year. The staff were all accommodating, pleasant, and friendly. There is a small but adequate workout room on the 2nd floor. The room was lovely, with a clean, spacious, and modern bath. The bed was more comfortable for my wife than for me. We did have to request softer pillows; but the staff quickly remedied the situation. My only complaint would be that the heating system's fan was too noisy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BostonGoose
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

Dear MTONEILL_10,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. My staff and I are pleased to read your comments and see that we could create and memorable experience for you and your daughters. Seems you had a great time in NYC and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 April 2010

My daughters flew down from Dublin to meet me en route from Haiti back to Africa, and the girls had researched carefully before their first trip to The Big Apple. We were not dissapointed - from the moment of arrival until we sadly had to leave the beautiful suite overlooking Central Park we received exemplary service with a smile....staff were courteous and helpful, assisting us to plan our days shopping and evening entertainment ( before getting our taxi to see Promises Promises on Broadway we were treated to an impromptu champagne pre-theatre drink at the beautiful candle wall in the foyer ) ... and the bar is a work of art in itself, dazzling modern pieces yet comfortable and beautifully lit.
The rooms themselves are so good you have to take off your shoes before you step inside.....tasteful, restful decor, beds to sleep in for a hundred years were this not New York....slippers, bathrobe and even great hair conditioner (little things mean a lot to 3 girls getting ready to hit the town...!)
And its a stroll to Central Park on a beautiful Spring morning. We'll definitely be back - just dont tell anybody!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2010

Dear MTONEILL_10,