The Surrey
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
SmithHotels.com
US$444
US$412
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$301
US$232
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$267
Orbitz.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$171
Travelocity
  • Fitness centre
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$170
  • Fitness centre
1,959 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkmuseum mileroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Booked The Surrey for a week's vacation after extensive research on boutique hotels in NYC. The Trip Advisor reviews helped us decide on The Surrey (Chambers and The London were runners up). Definitely a great choice...the hotel exceeded our expectations from the moment we stepped into the lobby. Very friendly and professional staff throughout the hotel. Lorena the concierge was fantastic and took a great interest in our wellbeing. The room was a great size, beautifully furnished and spotless. The rooftop garden was an oasis for breakfast and evening cocktails. Cafe Boulud downstairs was the best restaurant meal and service we experienced all week. The location, just off Central Park and only a short walk to the subway, was perfect for us and very quiet in the evenings. Booked through Expedia with no hassles at all. Would thoroughly recommend The Surrey for anyone wishing to be in NYC but avoiding the noise of Time Square. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2010

Dear JeffandVibe,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and experience and look forward to your return visit.

I have already shared your review with my team and gave special recognition to Lorena Ringoot, she truly is a gem in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near furture and until then, wish you well.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

This hotel has a lot of things going for it--location, ambience, restaurant. But it has several important lessons to learn about customer service. I stayed at the Surrey for three nights. My room must have been at the most distant point from the hot water heating equipment. The first morning it took 10 minutes to get hot water in my shower. Annoying but ultimately resolved. The second morning I ran the shower for 45 minutes and no hot water presented itself. I ended up calling the front desk in a panic as my departure time for a business meeting approached. They offered to send up someone to check it out. I told them that there wasn't time but that it should be fixed THAT DAY. I took a sponge bath. The next morning I stepped into the shower confidently as I was preparing to leave for JFK. No hot water appeared. Again. I waited patiently for 20 minutes. Nothing but ice cold water for the second day running. I was furious. Two hot days in NYC with no shower. Not at all what I expected. My call and visit to the desk on the way out produced no satisfaction. They apologized and offered me a free breakfast. As I was standing there at the front desk I heard another staff member fielding a call from another guest about no hot water. Why not be honest and offer those guests a free night on a subsequent visit to NYC? I was given treatment one might afford to someone deemed insufficiently hip to be staying there in the first place. Not the way to earn customer loyalty.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank Mark W

Dear mpwineca,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Please accept my sincere apology for the water issued you endured during your stay. i am embarassed. I will not offer you any excuses, but will tell you that I have discussed with my Director of Engineering and my Front Desk team to ensure that the problem is resolved and my team handles resolving issues with the guest more appropriately.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention and would be happy to discuss a means for resolution. Please feel free to contact myself directly at spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com or call me to my direct line at 646-358-3605.

Warmly

Reviewed 5 June 2010

Location -- location -- location -- this is the most elegant, user-friendly location for travelers who want access to the art museums, galleries, auction houses, and top quality shopping. The hotel is a great value for the price -- and offers great food from Boulod Cafe on the main floor. Right now the sidewalk cafe is filled, and the Cafe itself has seasonal food. Although the reviews I read were mixed, I had a great dinner there, and they accomodated my need to eat quickly to get to NYC Ballet, just a 5 minute taxi ride to Lincoln Center. Room was beautifully appointed with Pratesi linens, and the bed so inviting that I took a couple of naps while there. It was very quiet, and the views of Central Park and Madison Avenue were magnificent. One highlight was the rooftop garden on the 16th floor, beautifully landscaped with borders of lavender, and hanging plants, plus beds of various annuals and perennials, plus boxwood , too. At the garden, one can have breakfast,coffee, snacks during the day, and drinks in the evening. I loved the garden and would return only for that elegant spot between May and October. Service was always attentive, and very personal. Concierge couldn't have been more helpful. I was always greeted by name and felt that this was my perfect home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2010

If you fancy treating yourself then this hotel is a MUST ! It was a very special ocassion for us and so I decided to treat my partner and I to a three night at The Surrey. The service was fantastic and got the impression that the staff genuinely enjoyed their jobs. The hotel is located in the very posh Upper East Manhattan area and there are some great restaurants and cafes in the area. It was only a short taxi ride to downtown Manhattan.

A personal thanks to Spencer who ensured that our stay was faultless and memorable.

This was our first trip to New York and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2010

Dear AnthonyDublin,

Thank you for choosing to Stay at the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

I will gladly share your comments to my team and of course it was my pleasure to ensure your stay was without disappointment.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your firest trip to NYC, it truly is an amazing city. There is no doubt there is more excitement waiting for you on your return.

My best to you and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 June 2010

I can't think of a better place to stay in NYC. My first ever visit to NYC and we extended the trip and the hotel we were staying at didn't have any other rooms available for the extended day so did some soul searching and found this hotel and I'm so glad that I did!
Perfect location, perfect room, perfect staff, perfect hotel security (secured elevators. Not that I was worried about anything but caution is always better). The moment I entered the room I didn't want to touch anything, it looked so nice and clean and I'm running out of words to say anything about this hotel. Loved the city and I'm not staying at any other place but The Surrey anytime I go to NYC.
The staff was so helpful and I contacted them through email and explained my plans and everything was very well taken care of. I got sick on the last day so we mostly stayed in and it was just so comfortable.
Room service was excellent and food was tasty.
The only disappointment I had was that I wanted to get mani/pedi done after a week in NYC I did feel bit dirty not that I'm saying the city is not clean but I just wanted to stay in and relax and get back home fresher. But there wasn't anything available. I called the spa early in the day to make sure that if I need to book any treatment and they said you can walk right in and no need for reservation/booking. But when we got there the staff member said mani/pedi can't be arranged that was bit dissapointing but everything else was just superb. Hopefully this will stay the way it is every time I visit. Please don't change.
Thank You guys for taking care of us.

Dear HarryA909,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey, albeit last minute, we are glad you did. I do appreciate you sharing you experience as well.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to see that you enjoyed your stay but am disappointed about your Spa experience. Please know that I have shared your comments to my Spa Director, to ensure that we correct immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back, in the near future.

Thank you again.