“That's no problem sir”

The Surrey
Ranked #100 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 June 2010

If you are going to New York stay in The Surrey. He's five reason why you should make it a must.

1) It's stunning. Decor, towels, robes, public areas and the new roof garden are furnished to the highest quality.

2) The location. Just close enough to the madness of NY city centre but far enough out to feel like you are in a suburb. Also it's a spit from Central Park.

3) Food. Have dinner at Cafe Boulud. Outstanding food.

4) The Staff. This could be 1 - 5 for good reasons. They really are so helpful. Michael the Concierge is out of this world. He'll fix anything and if he can't he'll have a back up plan! Front desk, house keeping, porters, etc are all immaculate and really want to help. They also get a big plus from me by not doing the normally gross New York Hotel tactic of expecting a tip instead they accept gratuities with grace and surprise (if it's faked it looks perfect!)

5) The overall package. OK so it's on the higher end but I'm all for value for money and The Surrey made me feel like we were getting outstanding VFM from the off.

Go for it and go!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 5Star_Service_Seeker
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2010

Dear Brilliant_Heps,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for taking the time to share your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and experience. I will gladly share your experience to my team and especially share it with Michael. I am fortunate to have him on my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future and until then, wish you well.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed 11 June 2010

My Wife and I just got back from five nights wonderful night. What a great I original saw the advertisement for The Surrey on TheEEStory.com. Since living in South Surrey, British Columbia, I thought it would be fun and ironic to go stay at “The Surrey Hotel” My wife was also having a significant birthday and always wanted to go to New York. The Surrey Hotel has an exquisite ambience with great staff. I personal like to thank concierges Michael and Lorena who where exceptional and a pleasure to deal with. They assisted us in: getting front row seat at two plays, night river cruise, and unique daily sight seeing venture. On my wife’s birthday, Michael and Lorena sent to our room a birthday card and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine. I would highly recommend a stay at The Surrey. You will not be disappointed.

2  Thank DougandDonna

Dear DougandDonna,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am pleased to read you had a great experience and will personally share with my team and congratulate both Lorena and Michael for ensuring your experience was memorable. I am fortunate to have them on my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future and with you well at The Surrey (British Columbia).

Reviewed 11 June 2010

I would like to inform you that we I passed a great vacation at your hotel & we enjoyed every moment, I would like to express my gratitude to you personally for being patient with me during the whole reservation process(thank you very much David), and also for your colleagues at the reception who make us very comfortable & feeling like at home. The Reception staff are very welcoming and helpful, Special thanks to Lorena Ringoot and Mr Ramon.
I stayed here 8 days with my husband and it was absolutely fabulous. We had the Deluxe Salon studio, which was large with nice design features, a spacious bathroom and a great window
The room was very good, nice size, nice decorated.Our beds were turned down every night and a chocolate left on nightstand, a sweet and nice gesture. Maids were very attentive.
Location was really good too with walking distance to Metropolitan Museum, Guggenheim ,Central Park and shopping
Finally, staying at your hotel is a great experience & definitely we will do it again
So, no doubt, go for The Surrey

Dear ParejaBadajoz,

Spain, one of my favorite countries!

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to hear of your very positive experience and will gladly share with my team, especially Lorena, Ramon and David.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and wish you the best until then.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

our visit began with our arrival at the hotel, and chris, the doorman greeting us with a smile...on the inside of the door, we were offered delicious champagne and welcomed to what turned out to be an absolute gem. this hotel was sweet in every sense of the word...beautifully appointed with details that you don't typically see, fantastic beds (duxiana) and gorgeously laid out space. this was the perfect hotel for us...right off of central park and madison avenue. i would absolutely want to stay here again and would highly recommend the surrey if you have high expectations and want something above the rest. make sure you see the rooftop garden!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoredanaAnais
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Booked The Surrey for a week's vacation after extensive research on boutique hotels in NYC. The Trip Advisor reviews helped us decide on The Surrey (Chambers and The London were runners up). Definitely a great choice...the hotel exceeded our expectations from the moment we stepped into the lobby. Very friendly and professional staff throughout the hotel. Lorena the concierge was fantastic and took a great interest in our wellbeing. The room was a great size, beautifully furnished and spotless. The rooftop garden was an oasis for breakfast and evening cocktails. Cafe Boulud downstairs was the best restaurant meal and service we experienced all week. The location, just off Central Park and only a short walk to the subway, was perfect for us and very quiet in the evenings. Booked through Expedia with no hassles at all. Would thoroughly recommend The Surrey for anyone wishing to be in NYC but avoiding the noise of Time Square. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2010

Dear JeffandVibe,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and experience and look forward to your return visit.

I have already shared your review with my team and gave special recognition to Lorena Ringoot, she truly is a gem in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near furture and until then, wish you well.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

This hotel has a lot of things going for it--location, ambience, restaurant. But it has several important lessons to learn about customer service. I stayed at the Surrey for three nights. My room must have been at the most distant point from the hot water heating equipment. The first morning it took 10 minutes to get hot water in my shower. Annoying but ultimately resolved. The second morning I ran the shower for 45 minutes and no hot water presented itself. I ended up calling the front desk in a panic as my departure time for a business meeting approached. They offered to send up someone to check it out. I told them that there wasn't time but that it should be fixed THAT DAY. I took a sponge bath. The next morning I stepped into the shower confidently as I was preparing to leave for JFK. No hot water appeared. Again. I waited patiently for 20 minutes. Nothing but ice cold water for the second day running. I was furious. Two hot days in NYC with no shower. Not at all what I expected. My call and visit to the desk on the way out produced no satisfaction. They apologized and offered me a free breakfast. As I was standing there at the front desk I heard another staff member fielding a call from another guest about no hot water. Why not be honest and offer those guests a free night on a subsequent visit to NYC? I was given treatment one might afford to someone deemed insufficiently hip to be staying there in the first place. Not the way to earn customer loyalty.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank Mark W

Dear mpwineca,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Please accept my sincere apology for the water issued you endured during your stay. i am embarassed. I will not offer you any excuses, but will tell you that I have discussed with my Director of Engineering and my Front Desk team to ensure that the problem is resolved and my team handles resolving issues with the guest more appropriately.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention and would be happy to discuss a means for resolution. Please feel free to contact myself directly at spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com or call me to my direct line at 646-358-3605.

Warmly

Reviewed 5 June 2010

Location -- location -- location -- this is the most elegant, user-friendly location for travelers who want access to the art museums, galleries, auction houses, and top quality shopping. The hotel is a great value for the price -- and offers great food from Boulod Cafe on the main floor. Right now the sidewalk cafe is filled, and the Cafe itself has seasonal food. Although the reviews I read were mixed, I had a great dinner there, and they accomodated my need to eat quickly to get to NYC Ballet, just a 5 minute taxi ride to Lincoln Center. Room was beautifully appointed with Pratesi linens, and the bed so inviting that I took a couple of naps while there. It was very quiet, and the views of Central Park and Madison Avenue were magnificent. One highlight was the rooftop garden on the 16th floor, beautifully landscaped with borders of lavender, and hanging plants, plus beds of various annuals and perennials, plus boxwood , too. At the garden, one can have breakfast,coffee, snacks during the day, and drinks in the evening. I loved the garden and would return only for that elegant spot between May and October. Service was always attentive, and very personal. Concierge couldn't have been more helpful. I was always greeted by name and felt that this was my perfect home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business