I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. On the 1st night- a Wednesday- I was put in a room on the 3rd floor looking out over the hotel entrance. I understand that the Surrey has spent significant millions on renovating this hotel- and it is generally very nice. However, the road noise was bad in this 3rd floor room- so clearly they have not spent adequate attention and money soundproofing the rooms. I asked to change room the next day and was moved to the 10th floor- which was fine- with no audible road noise.
The Surrey started poorly for me. On my first evening I ordered a coffee and some sparkling water to the room- it arrived- but before I had a chance to notice, there was no milk with the coffee, the water was warm and there was no ice- and I had no bottle opener to open the water. This was slovenly attention to detail.Next morning I asked for an ironing board and an iron. I had to call down twice before I received them- after a 40 minute wait.
So after my first day at the Surrey- my impression was one of all show but little substance- small things really matter.
The remainder of my stay was excellent. I think it is a great location. Near Central Park, near great restaurants and Museums but far enough away from Midtown so that you feel a sense of surburbia. The rooftop garden is beautiful and a real plus.
The surrey can improve by looking at small but important changes:
-Having an ironing board and iron in each room (why make us chase you for them?)
-A restroom on the rooftop garden. You can drink there endlessly but you are expected to go to your room to use the restroom- this is ridiculous.
-The rooftop garden should be available (to sit in at least) from early morning. Currently it does not open until 11AM. This is not good enough.
-Better attention to room service details. For many this, in particular, can ruin a hotel's reputation. Room service is expensive...and so it better be accompanied by excellents Service.
Overall the Surrey is a very good hotel and the staff are generally very helpful. It is great looking, trendy, in a great location, has a great Spa, restaurant and a wondful rooftop garden.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 hotel in New York City as voted by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler, The Surrey is a discreet escape on Manhattan's Upper East Side Steps from Central Park, world-class museums, and Madison Avenue shopping, the hotel features Cornelia Spa and Daniel Boulud's Michelin-starred Café Boulud. It is New York City's only Relais & Châteaux hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City