“Great Rooms and Location, Spotty Service”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #77 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“Great Rooms and Location, Spotty Service”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I booked a three night stay at The Surrey last weekend to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. We both live and work in NYC, so I simply wanted a nice room near Central Park where we could relax. For the most part, The Surrey delivered. First, the room was truly wonderful. We stayed in the Grand Deluxe Salon, which I worried would feel small, but was actually quite spacious. The bed was unbelievably comfortable, the sitting area by the window was large and also very comfortable, the bathroom was a dream, and there was even a well stocked bar to make you feel like a character on Mad Men. Not to mention, the room was clean and quiet. Second, The Surrey is located just a half block from Central Park, a short walk or taxi ride from the museums, and right off of Madison Avenue for some quick shopping.

However, not everything about the stay was as nice as the room. For example, prior to checking in, I had called the front desk to arrange for a bottle of champagne as a birthday surprise for my girlfriend. Although I intended to purchase a bottle of our favorite champagne, the person I spoke with offered to provide a bottle on the house! This was an impressive offer and made me even more excited for the weekend, but it ended up taking four phone calls and two days to actually receive the bottle. Second, although we were granted a late checkout the night before our departure, we received a rude phone call at 12:45pm the next day asking why we were still in the room (late check-out was for 2pm). Finally, my main complaint was realizing that internet is not just $15 per day, but $15 per computer per day. There is no warning on the login website and no one had mentioned additional charges the two times I asked while booking the room. So since my girlfriend and I both had to work on our laptops over the weekend, the final charge for three days of internet was $104.67. Assuming this was a mistake, I asked the front desk about the charges and was told the "policy." I explained that this wasn't clear from the website and that no one had mentioned this before, but two separate staff members argued with me in a really unpleasant and hostile way. They finally agreed to take care of the charges, but it was an unpleasant way to end the weekend.

In fairness to The Surrey, I submitted a complaint through their online survey (you receive an e-mail after check-out) and promptly received a response from a manager that was very nice and apologetic. He assured me that my experience was not normal and based on all of the reviews here, I would have to assume that's true. Also, if I had known about the internet charges from the get go, my complaints would be pretty minor. Not to mention, I have to give the hotel credit for even offering a complimentary bottle of champagne and for eventually removing the internet charges in full. Ultimately, if you're looking for a great room in NYC in a great location, The Surrey is probably hard to beat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hsnifferstein
Mr. Hsnifferstein,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your comments in regards to your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama and I believe we have communicated already on your experience. Please accept my apologies again for the lapses in service you experienced. I have already used your feedback to my team on where we can really work to improve on our guests experience.

Know that we are as well, working with our HSIA company on the per PC vs. Per room charge for internet.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you at the Surrey in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. On the 1st night- a Wednesday- I was put in a room on the 3rd floor looking out over the hotel entrance. I understand that the Surrey has spent significant millions on renovating this hotel- and it is generally very nice. However, the road noise was bad in this 3rd floor room- so clearly they have not spent adequate attention and money soundproofing the rooms. I asked to change room the next day and was moved to the 10th floor- which was fine- with no audible road noise.
The Surrey started poorly for me. On my first evening I ordered a coffee and some sparkling water to the room- it arrived- but before I had a chance to notice, there was no milk with the coffee, the water was warm and there was no ice- and I had no bottle opener to open the water. This was slovenly attention to detail.Next morning I asked for an ironing board and an iron. I had to call down twice before I received them- after a 40 minute wait.
So after my first day at the Surrey- my impression was one of all show but little substance- small things really matter.
The remainder of my stay was excellent. I think it is a great location. Near Central Park, near great restaurants and Museums but far enough away from Midtown so that you feel a sense of surburbia. The rooftop garden is beautiful and a real plus.

The surrey can improve by looking at small but important changes:
-Having an ironing board and iron in each room (why make us chase you for them?)
-A restroom on the rooftop garden. You can drink there endlessly but you are expected to go to your room to use the restroom- this is ridiculous.
-The rooftop garden should be available (to sit in at least) from early morning. Currently it does not open until 11AM. This is not good enough.
-Better attention to room service details. For many this, in particular, can ruin a hotel's reputation. Room service is expensive...and so it better be accompanied by excellents Service.

Overall the Surrey is a very good hotel and the staff are generally very helpful. It is great looking, trendy, in a great location, has a great Spa, restaurant and a wondful rooftop garden.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Dear LindenScotland,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and providing your feedback on your stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General manager. Overall I am glad to know you liked the hotel and staff and of course the wonderful area we are located.

I do want to apologize for the poor service from our in room dining department. The team works hard to provide great service but unfortunately, we fell way short on your experience. In regards to your list of items we should address, rest assired that each point is already on our radar screen and items for improvement., thank you for helping my cause.

I would like to further discuss with you at your convenience at spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com.

Thank you again and I hope that your initial experience does not deter you for a return visit.
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We booked into here for 3 nights at the end of our honeymoon, very last minute due to a problem with our other hotel. It is ridiculously expensive but we thought we'd treat ourselves. The hotel is in a great location, very smart and right next to Central Park with a nice walk past the swanky shops towards mid-town. But the area immediately outside the hotel is a bit scruffy at the moment due to (very noisy) road works - but this seems to be the standard in Manhattan.

Front desk staff varied from fairly good to very disinterested (particularly the brunette woman who didn't seem to remember us from 5 minutes beforehand).

The room was very nice and particularly large compared to most New York hotels. Sound insulation was almost non-existent though, we were woken up by the sound of pneumatic drills outside for 2 of the 3 days. Just what you want!

The room was severely lacking in amenities too - it seems the more you pay the less you get - no tea or coffee facilities (tea can be obtained from room service for a mere snip at $8 + 20% service. Bargain), no ironing board (30 minute wait when we requested one) and no ice on the floors (again an excessively long wait).

Carrying on with this theme, no free internet and the final nail in the coffin after having to ring a free-phone number (given to us by front desk) to try and sort out our flight which had been cancelled, we were charged $10 on check-out. To a free phone number! To their credit, we disputed this and it was removed but this was a totally unpleasant way to end our stay. They really need to advise what call charges are in the room but there's absolutely nothing.

I have no qualms about spending a lot of money on hotels, but I am not prepared to be ripped off. Unfortunately in NY, nothing much is good value but it's still one of my favourite cities in the world. We just won't be staying here next time.

Dr C

2 Thank BexEee
Dear BexC,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general manager, For the most part, i am very happy to see that you liked the hotel, from a design and decor standpoint, and the Upper East Side. I am very concerend with your comments on my staff. I will communicate your impressiona with the expectation that we improve.

I will agree that we can still improve on our offerings to guests. Rest assured we are adding amenities and of course we always record individual preferences as well. That way in the event we have a guest that once requested a coffee maker, we ensure a coffee maker is placed for their next visit.

Again, Thank you for your feedback. I would be happy to discuss further if need be. I can be reached on spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in March and did enjoy our stay very much.

The room (we booked a standard room) was fabulous - very spacious and luxurious. Everything is extremely comfortable and well designed and we could not fault the room at all.

The main issue we had was with food service at the hotel. We got the impression that the restaurant was separately run and therefore it was not very flexible. For example, when we ate breakfast in the restaurant and tried to adjust some of the dishes slightly (bacon instead of sausage for example), staff said they had to check with the kitchen. Also, one morning we ordered peppermint tea from room service (having had it for breakfast the day before in the restaurant) and were told that it was not available for room service. This seemed rather odd given we knew they had it in the building! We were misinformed about the time of breakfast one morning and missed it as a result.

We were also slightly disappointed with the location in that it is quite a long way from the main sights. It is a lovely area but a bit further out than we expected - probably our own fault for not having researched the location thoroughly enough - although we were surprised that the other reviews on this site didn't seem to mention this.

Subject to these points we would recommend the Surrey, but if we were to return to New York ourselves we would probably look for somewhere a bit more central.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy_Jones
Dear Lucy_Jones,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for taking the time to share your expereince.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay but understand that there were things that could have improved.

I have already shared your review with my team and the Cafe Boulud team to address the flexibility concern. I would agree that more could have been done to appease the guest.

In regards to the location, I would agree we are less central, but most guest enjoy this as the neighborhood is much quieter and the hotel is very close to the park and of course the museums. But it all depends on personal preference.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the Surrey in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2010

If you are going to New York stay in The Surrey. He's five reason why you should make it a must.

1) It's stunning. Decor, towels, robes, public areas and the new roof garden are furnished to the highest quality.

2) The location. Just close enough to the madness of NY city centre but far enough out to feel like you are in a suburb. Also it's a spit from Central Park.

3) Food. Have dinner at Cafe Boulud. Outstanding food.

4) The Staff. This could be 1 - 5 for good reasons. They really are so helpful. Michael the Concierge is out of this world. He'll fix anything and if he can't he'll have a back up plan! Front desk, house keeping, porters, etc are all immaculate and really want to help. They also get a big plus from me by not doing the normally gross New York Hotel tactic of expecting a tip instead they accept gratuities with grace and surprise (if it's faked it looks perfect!)

5) The overall package. OK so it's on the higher end but I'm all for value for money and The Surrey made me feel like we were getting outstanding VFM from the off.

Go for it and go!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 5Star_Service_Seeker
Dear Brilliant_Heps,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for taking the time to share your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and experience. I will gladly share your experience to my team and especially share it with Michael. I am fortunate to have him on my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future and until then, wish you well.

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2010

My Wife and I just got back from five nights wonderful night. What a great I original saw the advertisement for The Surrey on TheEEStory.com. Since living in South Surrey, British Columbia, I thought it would be fun and ironic to go stay at “The Surrey Hotel” My wife was also having a significant birthday and always wanted to go to New York. The Surrey Hotel has an exquisite ambience with great staff. I personal like to thank concierges Michael and Lorena who where exceptional and a pleasure to deal with. They assisted us in: getting front row seat at two plays, night river cruise, and unique daily sight seeing venture. On my wife’s birthday, Michael and Lorena sent to our room a birthday card and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine. I would highly recommend a stay at The Surrey. You will not be disappointed.

2 Thank DougandDonna
Dear DougandDonna,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am pleased to read you had a great experience and will personally share with my team and congratulate both Lorena and Michael for ensuring your experience was memorable. I am fortunate to have them on my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future and with you well at The Surrey (British Columbia).
Badajoz, Spain
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I would like to inform you that we I passed a great vacation at your hotel & we enjoyed every moment, I would like to express my gratitude to you personally for being patient with me during the whole reservation process(thank you very much David), and also for your colleagues at the reception who make us very comfortable & feeling like at home. The Reception staff are very welcoming and helpful, Special thanks to Lorena Ringoot and Mr Ramon.
I stayed here 8 days with my husband and it was absolutely fabulous. We had the Deluxe Salon studio, which was large with nice design features, a spacious bathroom and a great window
The room was very good, nice size, nice decorated.Our beds were turned down every night and a chocolate left on nightstand, a sweet and nice gesture. Maids were very attentive.
Location was really good too with walking distance to Metropolitan Museum, Guggenheim ,Central Park and shopping
Finally, staying at your hotel is a great experience & definitely we will do it again
So, no doubt, go for The Surrey

Dear ParejaBadajoz,

Spain, one of my favorite countries!

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to hear of your very positive experience and will gladly share with my team, especially Lorena, Ramon and David.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and wish you the best until then.