The Surrey
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Fitness centre
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$255
US$218
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$239
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$309
US$281
US$431
US$397
US$497
US$412
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$213
US$171
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$384
US$207
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$296
US$172
  • Breakfast included
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$170
  • Bar/Lounge
1,959 results
All reviewscafe bouludupper east sidecentral parkbar pleiadesgrand deluxe salonrelais chateauxmadison avenuerooftop gardennew yorkmuseum mileroom servicein room diningluxury hotelfavorite hotelbottle of champagnewonderful hotelturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Our red-eye flight arrived 2 hours late so we were very tired when we go the Surrey. Unfortunately, we were still a few hours early of check in. We dropped our bags off at the desk and proceeded to venture through Central Park while we waited for our room to be available. After a few hours, we strolled back into the Surrey only to be disappointing that our room was still not ready. However, this turned out to be a great thing because the terrific staff upgraded us to a suite because we'd been waiting for so long. We got to our room and were blown away. Exquisite furniture, fantastic bed, awesome decor. This room was great.

The Surrey staff is awesome. They take care of whatever you need. The hotel has a roof-top area with outstanding views of Manhattan and the park. The food is a little pricey and not really that great. We didn't eat at the hotel very much because it's New York and there is great food everywhere.

The location of the Hotel is perfect for venturing out into all of Manhattan. The location is right next to metro stations and major bus stops.

Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

Dear fya4,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to share your review with my team. We work hard everyday to provide the service our guests expect and have been fortunately successful most of the time. We strive to improve everyday.

My apology for the room not being available upon arrival but i am glad to see the staff reacted well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and wish you a wonderful holiday weekend.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

After obsessively reviewing TripAdvisor, we chose the Surrey for the last leg of our four week US holiday - our first visit to New York. Six months prior we booked an Ultra Deluxe Salon with a king bed, for seven nights for late June. We checked out after four nights.

When booking we’d selected the option of an eStandby Upgrade to an Ultra Deluxe Terrace Suite and hoped that this would be available. A day or two before arrival I sent an email request regarding reservations at Café Boulud and the Spa. At check-in reception seemed unaware of these various requests, so firstly I asked about the e-upgrade, which was airily dismissed as being highly unlikely. I was advised we could upgrade to a terrace-less suite, but I explained that we really wanted the terrace and the Ultra Deluxe Salon has a terrace. I was then told (I felt as a pressure to upgrade) that the Ultra Deluxe Salon I’d reserved might not have a terrace, at which point I became quite concerned and was then hastily advised that our reserved room DID have a terrace. Reception knew nothing about our other email requests, and these were referred to the concierge. Our room wasn’t ready, so reception suggested we wait in the bar. Having just arrived at the hotel I had to ask where it was. Overall check-in was not welcoming or helpful.

We had a drink in the comfortable bar, and were then shown to our room, which was gorgeous. On the 16th floor, the room was amazingly airy and light, with huge windows leading to our terrace with awesome views of the city and central park. The décor and design were really beautiful. The bathroom with a double sink, deep bath and spacious shower, also had plenty of storage space for cosmetics and skincare items, and a good make-up mirror. The water pressure to our room was quite weak, which diminished the luxury of the beautiful shower. The bed is very comfortable, and beautifully made up. Oddly, there is only one bedside control for room lighting so that one person cannot turn on their own bedside lamp. The minibar/wardrobe area is quite dark, you may need a torch to see into the wardrobe.

On arrival I unsuccessfully searched for a directory to the room/hotel, and rang guest services to check on this. I was dismissively told that the hotel had only opened in November 2009, and hadn’t yet put together a directory. I asked if it was possible to get an in-room electric kettle (to make tea) – the person seemed annoyed and exclaimed that they’d never had such a request, and she would get back to me (she never did). There was no in-room information about mini-bar contents or pricing, and no information/bags for laundry or dry cleaning.

We found the biggest flaw is the hotel’s dining service (or lack thereof). For us ordering room service after a long day’s sight-seeing is part of our holiday experience. There seemed to be real communication problems between hotel staff and the Café Boulud regarding menu items and their timely delivery.

There is a small room service menu based on Café Boulud’s current menu, perhaps 4 or 5 main courses. On our second night we ordered a room service dinner. Shortly after ordering 2 main courses we received a phone call advising that one of our choices wasn’t available, and so we chose an alternative dish. Thirty minutes later we received another call advising that our second choice wasn’t available either, so we ended up ordering two of the same dish. Another hour later we finally received our room service meal, which was unimpressive for the cost. The hotel acknowledged the inconvenience by not charging us for a half bottle of wine, but this did not make up for our ruined evening

When ordering breakfast the person taking the order was invariably unfriendly. I am not sure that the front desk people had a copy of the menu given the number of problems we had with ordering. For example, our last morning I ordered smoked salmon with a bagel from the breakfast menu, but no smoked salmon arrived. By then we had given up expecting professional service.

Another night we visited the hotel’s rooftop garden for a cocktail and ordered a light meal. While the cocktail was great and the small garden delightful, our simple food took nearly an hour to arrive, the waitress apologizing profusely as we waited. Our meal was cold and lack-lustre. Further, our request for iced water on a hot New York night was politely repeated three times, but no water ever arrived.

Check-out was speedy and went without a hitch.

After we checked out, we waited in the lobby for a cab and overheard a detailed discussion between the front desk staff regarding storage of a new guest’s medication. She had asked that they refrigerate her medication pending her arrival the next day. Because the medication wouldn’t fit into her room’s mini-bar fridge, they decided to just put it in her room, with the air-conditioning turned down. Over-hearing this lack of care confirmed we were correct to check out early.

The Surrey is a good choice if your primary concern is a beautiful room and bathroom at a cost-effective rate compared to luxury hotels, provided that you down-grade your expectations regarding helpful or friendly service.

1  Thank RulyTruly
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Dear Rulytruly,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you encountered during your visit with us. Please trust that I am looking into each point with my team to address and solve for our future guests. Thank you for your understanding.

I understand your disappointment. Please feel free to contact myself directly to further discuss your experience. I can reached by e-mail at spencer.wadama@thesurrey.com.

Thank you and enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

My mother and I are just back from a fabulous four day trip to Manhattan staying at the Surrey which we absolutely loved and to which we will definitely return.

As well as being ideally located between 5th and Madison, this is a remarkable hotel in every respect, it manages to be elegant and chic without being stuffy, the rooms are exquisitely furnished and equipped without being pretentious or OTT, the levels of service are exemplary. In terms of value for money this hotel definitely delivers. Special mentions go to Andrew the concierge, Felipe the doorman and the very sweet and charming girls on the roof terrace who created such a nice atmosphere that we ended up spending a few hours there every evening of our stay.

There is nothing I can think of that would improve this place other than keep up the good work. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else now that we have experienced this. Many thanks to the Surrey for making our long weekend so special.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We booked The Surrey as an anniversary get- away. We opted for this hotel to be away from Midtown crowds and noise. We also love Central Park, and it's a few steps away from it. From the moment you pull up to this hotel, you know you are somwhere special.
I was a bit worried about not feeling welcome on the upper east side, but the hotel staff-all of them, were so kind and thoughtful. We were congratulated on our anniversary from each staff member numerous times. Little touches like fresh water bottles and cookies delivered each night, the roof garden where we were treated to complimentary champagne 2x, made us feel special, and not like cattle driven through a massive hotel.
Our meal at Cafe Boulud was one of the best of my life. They even wrote "Happy Anniversary" in liquid chocolate on our dessert plates.
I'm really sensitive to noise and temperature when I sleep. The room has an adustable air control that is silent in operation. I slept better than at home! We were on the 8th floor and I heard a few car horns, but nothing much. Other than that, our room was very quiet, gorgeous, and spacious. It's obvious the hotel decor was very recently done.
We didn't use the stocked fridge or snack area-though it was impressive! We removed stuff from fridge to make room for our drinks.
We walked and took the subway which is about a 10 minute walk away or cabs a few times. We felt very safe.
My husband and I have travelled the world and without a doubt thought The Surrey was the nicest hotel we'd ever stayed with. Not only the facility itself, but the entire staff is A+. Thanks for making our anniversary so special!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear Mkk120567,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for your very positive review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. Happy anniversary again. I am so happy you could enjoy the occasion. The comments that make me most happy, is the positive impression the staff made on your stay. I will also agree that Cafe Boulud is an amazing restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you only the best.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary at with an one night trip to NYC. The Surrey was perfect! Our room was spacious and luxurious. The king bed was heavenly with a fluffy comforter and loads of pillows. The bathroom had a luxury spa feel with an incredible shower. The Upper East Side location meant no noise. Add in the barely audible air conditioning system and room darkening shades and it is no wonder that we had a great sleep. Room service was delicious and elegantly presented. The roof top garden was a true bonus. Although we did not visit the spa, we left feeling pampered and relaxed.

Dear escapeartist36,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am delighted to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. Next time you must try the spa, you will not be disappointed.

We look forward to welcoming you back and wish you only the best.