“What a hotel..." Location, Location, Location"”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“What a hotel..." Location, Location, Location"”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was the my secound stay at the Surrey Hotel. From the time I arrived at the front door and greeted with a smile. My room was on the 11th floor overlooking the city lights. The bathroom was very large.

I love you can walk out the front door and your on Madison Ave or Central Park the other way. "Great location".

The penthouse roof top bar was over the top. A glass of wine overlooking the city could not get any better.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
Dear jacnmu,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. We work very hard to provide the best most personalized service, i am happy to see you succeeded. I am as well delighted you could enjoy the amenities of the hotel that really make the Surrey special.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
nyc
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Beautiful, elegant, updated rooms in a venerable old UES building with great food and drinking venues, great service, and highly comfortable beds. My favorite NYC hotel. Reasonably-priced. No complaints at all. Nice gym to boot.

Business or pleasure.

Hope they keep up the very high standards.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank I1240DMdanielr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We finally found our new home in New York. After years of disappointment when staying at the Regency we moved on up in the East side to the wonderful Surrey. It was just fully renovated in 2009. the rooms are beautifully designed and the service is wonderful. The management has done a wonderful job training everyone from the doorman to the chambermaids. Everyone greets you with a friendly hello. We stayed at the Regency for over 10 years and no one ever bothered to greet us. But that will be another review. The Surrey is sitiated in a beautiful and refined uptown location. It is across from the Carlye hotel and among many elegant shops, and galleries.and museums. The hotel boasts a Daniel Bolud restaurant, and the as you can imagine, the food is wonderful. including room service. We also love the beautiful rooftop that serves fantastic drinks and snacks and will soon serve breakfast as well. They play cool music at night and you have a wonderful view of the New York skyline. There is also a lovely spa and a nice small gym as well. We come to New York often as our daughter lives here, and this will now be our new home away from home.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truffle55
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Dear drawkowski,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and appreciate the fact that you now choose the Surrey when you come to New York. Thank you for recognizing the hard work and great personality of my staff, they are amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, all the best.
London
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Stayed here for a shopping and sight-seeing trip and can thoroughly recommend it. Great quality decor and fittings throughout + super friendly and efficient staff.

Good spot for museums, galleries and Central Park and only 10 minutes from 5th Ave shops.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Longwellgreen,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the hotel and my team took very good care of you. I would agree that the location is amazing and a destination in New York that is still being discovered by visitors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future. All the best.
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We booked a 3 night stay here based on what has become a potent trifecta for most of our travel decisions: enticing rate from a private sale website, good TA reviews, and the hotel's own website. We actually tried 2 hotels and neighbourhoods for this trip--we went south to the Cooper Square Hotel (see separate review) after the Surrey.

I have actually been to this location twice in the past--both times to dine at the restaurant, first when it was Daniel (Daniel Boulud first opened Daniel here before moving to its larger location on East 65th), and then when it was Cafe Boulud. I knew there was a hotel adjacent, but really took no notice. The furthest north we've previously stayed on the Upper East Side was the Pierre on 61st. Thanks to a huge ($60 million and 14 months, I was told) renovation of this former 1926 residence hotel, you now cannot help but notice the Surrey. It reopened in 11/09. It is a quietly elegant UES find; a place to consider alongside the neighbouring Carlyle and Mark hotels. The UES is decidedly upscale, mostly residential. Central Park and Madison Ave. boutiques are a short stroll away, as is the subway stop and Lenox Hill Hospital.

The remodel, by Rottet Studio, is meant to evoke an NYC townhouse "passed down through generations, keeper of a lifetime of memories". It is simultaneously modern and nostalgic. The marble lobby is of good size, with a tapestry of Kate Moss adorning one wall (I think the art installations rotate). Cafe Boulud is on one side, Bar Pleiades (a stylish lounge) on the other. Both have outdoor seating.

I had asked for a street-facing room; ours was a corner room with windows on 2 sides plus the bathroom, so lots of light. It faced Madison Ave. with its New York symphony of honking horns, which thankfully usually took an all night intermission. Rooms facing 76th are probably quieter, although there was street work being done during our stay. The room was the smallest offered--a Deluxe Salon--but was still of decent size, with all the amenities of the next room category (Grand Deluxe Salon), except it was not as long, the 2 chairs were smaller, and there was one bathroom sink vs. 2. Done up in shades of gray with touches of brown, a filigree pattern is echoed in the carpet, pillows, glassware, drapes and A/C unit screen. The minibar is extensive, with large bottles of liquors--there is a Boulud Cocktail program where a mixologist will come to your room with enough accoutrements for 4-5 drinks and mix them up for you. The TV is high def with innumerable channels, including music and an IPod dock. The room light switches are unique--they control all the lights based on the time of day. Rizzoli coffee table books. Cute desk with lift top to hold stationery. Room service menu with some selections from Boulud. The marble bathroom had fantastic lighting, making the magnifying mirror unflinchingly honest. No tub, but a large shower with 2 perfect heads. Pratesi robes.

The spa (which we did not try), fitness center and business center are on the 2nd floor. On the roof, or penthouse level, there is a fabulous outdoor garden/patio open to guests only, with a view of Central Park. It is open seasonally, weather permitting, from about noon well into the night, and is a great place for a drink (they specialize in lemonades muddled with any variety of fruits and herbs, with or without vodka), or a bite to eat (select items from the In-room dining menu). We had lunch reservations at Cafe Boulud one day, but had to cancel, unfortunate especially because Restaurant Week this summer was extended to Labor Day. We did breakfast there one morning and did le petit dejeuner l'express buffet. Consider dressing up for lunch and certainly for dinner.

Service was uniformly outstanding and congenial from reception to housekeeping, with everyone extending a greeting as you passed by. We did not require the services of the concierge, but the head concierge is a member of Les Clefs d'Or. The nattily suited, tall Asian staff member with whom I casually conversed by the elevator at the roof garden turned out to be , I discovered later, none other than General Manager Spencer Wadama. Had I known, I would have complimented him on taking the time to personally respond to each TA review.

Lastly, a few glitches. We arrived in a light rain, bet there was no umbrella in the room. The lobby ran out of umbrellas before 10:30am, so I had to go up and get the (small) one I had fortunately packed. The room also had no lint brush or shoe horn, things I use if they are around, but they were probably available on request. The leaky toilet that left an unseen puddle on the floor necessitated a change of pants. I was told there was no house car, although a TA review mentioned one. Also mentioned in TA reviews is the 50 cents/minute charge for internet use in the business center--ridiculous!

We've tried many NY hotels and neighbourhoods over the years, and the Surrey ranks highly among them. Its smaller size, personal service, style and location are all winning, and we would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 17 September 2010
Daer Pillowsof wanderlust,

Thank you for being so adverntuous and going North of 61st. I am happy you chose the Surrey. Thank you as well for posting your comments.

I must say, your review is extremely detailed. I am happy to share your comments with my team and appreciate the fact that you have recognized so many of my wonderful staff and the hard work that they do every day. We are proud of our hotel but realize that the expectations of service constantly evolve and so we work on improving every day. I respond to all the reviews because I appreciate the time a guest takes to share their experience. Its the least I can do. So the thank you.

My apologies for the mis-communication on the house car service, we do now have it daily but basically in the morning and the dinner hours of the day.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Upper East Side soon,.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2010

My husband and I chose this hotel to stay for my first visit to New York for several reasons: the good reviews on TripAdvisor, the great pictures and style of the hotel, the location, and the level of class and comfort that was expected based on the ratings and price.
We were disappointed with this hotel from start to finish. To begin, we booked the room through the hotel's website and they were offering a discount for the week we chose. It basically ended up giving us our fourth night free, and for four days our total (with taxes included) came to around $1,900, so about $475 per night on average. Even with the discount, for us, this is a good chunk of change to spend on a hotel. With that said, we undoubtedly had high expectations.
When booking the room the website offers several drop down lists that allow you to select certain preferences for your room. We requested King Bed, quiet room, high floor, and room with view. As we finished check out they also offer an upgrade to a room with a terrace for an extra $35 per night if available at check in.
So when we arrive at the hotel, the man at the desk does not mention anything about the upgrade or anything of the preferences we had selected. It was as if he didn't even look. So we asked about the upgrade and he says "oh, let me check"... "oh, shoot the two women just before you got it". Okay, whatever. Anyway, on with the check in... So he puts us in room 1115, 11th floor out of 16 or 17, and on Madison avenue. Yes it was somewhat high but no view except for a stop light, and oh my goodness the loudest room I have ever stayed in. We stayed in this room for 3 out of the 4 nights and the reason I did not complain sooner was because my husband kept telling me "we're in New York, it's going to be loud no matter where you are"... Well, that's bull because finally on the fourth day I realized that BOTH windows were basically broken open. Difficult to describe but they basically would not shut because of screw that prevented them from shutting. So I had absolutely no sleep for 3 nights and finally the fourth night I called and complained and they asked if I wanted someone to come fix it or a room change. I opted for the room change because we were still on the noisiest street (Madison Ave). So they change us to room 1107, which made a WORLD of difference as it faced 76th street.
Ok, so next... Their restaurant, Cafe Boulud, has a dress code even for lunch so we were turned away for inside dining. A bit understandable but also a bit annoying as outside was not really an option since it was 95 degrees outside. But the host was nice enough to tell us that we were more than welcome to sit and dine if we go upstairs and change! Awkward....
It continues... The last night we stayed we decided to do in-room dining after returning from a show and unable to find a decent place to eat on a whim at 11:45 PM. We order a $25 hamburger and the man says "you will receive your order no later that 12:15 AM". Well we finally decide to call and check at 12:25 AM because we were starting to fall asleep and the man says there was some confusion in the kitchen but it's being plated and on it's way up right now. Well we received our burger at 12:45 AM. The boy that brought it said nothing other than "sorry for the delay". So at this point, I'm a bit sensitized with the hotel and I said to the server "well are you going to discount this meal since it's 30 minutes later than what it was guaranteed?" The boy then quickly says in a very short tone "I'll have it removed from your bill" and then literally storms out of the room without giving us a split second to reply.
The bell boys literally swarm you on the way in and on the way out whether it be to help you with your bag or force you to let them call you a cab, even if you tell them "no thank you" several times. We literally had 3 separate guys walk us and our bags out of the hotel and it felt like each one wanted a tip. It was very confusing and awkward and embarrassing.
So to wrap things up, I don't expect these experiences at a hotel that I pay this amount of money for. We are not rich, we just work hard and set aside money for when we get to take a vacation, and we like to stay at nicer places because we like to have comfort. This hotel just added a lot of stress to our trip, and they did not seem to have a concern for customer satisfaction. We will not return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank JennJenn84
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
Dear Jennjenn84,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I appreciate your comments and of course read with disappointment that we failed to provide you with an experience you expected. Please know that i take your comments to heart and will share them with my team.

I am concerned with the statement that you will not return, please feel free to contact me directly so I can apologize in personally and thank you as well.

All the best.
New York
Reviewed 2 September 2010

An outstanding balance of very friendly and highly knowledgeable staff, tasteful ambience, and superb upper east side location. The bed was supremely comfortable. Elegant but not too fussy decor. My new favourite Manhattan hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business