“Exceeded all expectations”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, MN
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

I've been planning a trip to NYC with my girlfriend for a few months and was planning on staying at the Ritz but decided to go with the Surrey based on the reviews here. I got in contact with the hotel management and concierge early to ensure they understood my expectations and to solicit their help in planning this trip. They went above and beyond. It was easy to correspond with them and they were helpful. The concierge arranged two incredible dinners - one on Friday night and one on Saturday before our show. Both were awesome experiences in terms of food, ambiance, and how we were treated. The hotel itself is wonderful with great styling in the lobby and restaurant. The room was impeccable. It was beautiful and comfortable and spotless. The actual hotel staff was very helpful with luggage and directions and advice. They seemed genuinely interested in our plans and with helping out and managed to remember us as we came and went which was somewhat expected of such a hotel but still nice. We would definitely stay here again. What I appreciated the most was the more personal contact and help we were afforded likely because it is a smaller hotel that is every bit as luxurious as the bigger more well known ones.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 21 October 2010
Daer Kingtito,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting such wonderful comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your posting and am excited to share with my team. I am espcailly happy to see that we created a wonderful memory not only of New York, but of the Surrey as well. I would agree, I have an amazing staff that truly cares about the guests and always tries to go above and beyond to make each stay personal and memorable to each guest. I have always believed that a hotel is a hotel, its the people and the attitide that guests remember.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the future and until then, I wish you well. Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

Our room was what the doctor ordered. The bed was great too relax in. The sounds of NYC were outside. We enjoyed our time at The Surrey even for a short vist, but worth the trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dear jcompton1,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a comment.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I appreciate the comment and will gladly share with my team. I am glad to see you enjoyed the beds and the location.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was the my secound stay at the Surrey Hotel. From the time I arrived at the front door and greeted with a smile. My room was on the 11th floor overlooking the city lights. The bathroom was very large.

I love you can walk out the front door and your on Madison Ave or Central Park the other way. "Great location".

The penthouse roof top bar was over the top. A glass of wine overlooking the city could not get any better.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
Dear jacnmu,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. We work very hard to provide the best most personalized service, i am happy to see you succeeded. I am as well delighted you could enjoy the amenities of the hotel that really make the Surrey special.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Beautiful, elegant, updated rooms in a venerable old UES building with great food and drinking venues, great service, and highly comfortable beds. My favorite NYC hotel. Reasonably-priced. No complaints at all. Nice gym to boot.

Business or pleasure.

Hope they keep up the very high standards.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank I1240DMdanielr
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

We finally found our new home in New York. After years of disappointment when staying at the Regency we moved on up in the East side to the wonderful Surrey. It was just fully renovated in 2009. the rooms are beautifully designed and the service is wonderful. The management has done a wonderful job training everyone from the doorman to the chambermaids. Everyone greets you with a friendly hello. We stayed at the Regency for over 10 years and no one ever bothered to greet us. But that will be another review. The Surrey is sitiated in a beautiful and refined uptown location. It is across from the Carlye hotel and among many elegant shops, and galleries.and museums. The hotel boasts a Daniel Bolud restaurant, and the as you can imagine, the food is wonderful. including room service. We also love the beautiful rooftop that serves fantastic drinks and snacks and will soon serve breakfast as well. They play cool music at night and you have a wonderful view of the New York skyline. There is also a lovely spa and a nice small gym as well. We come to New York often as our daughter lives here, and this will now be our new home away from home.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truffle55
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Dear drawkowski,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read your comments and appreciate the fact that you now choose the Surrey when you come to New York. Thank you for recognizing the hard work and great personality of my staff, they are amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, all the best.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

Stayed here for a shopping and sight-seeing trip and can thoroughly recommend it. Great quality decor and fittings throughout + super friendly and efficient staff.

Good spot for museums, galleries and Central Park and only 10 minutes from 5th Ave shops.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Longwellgreen,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the hotel and my team took very good care of you. I would agree that the location is amazing and a destination in New York that is still being discovered by visitors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future. All the best.
Los Angeles CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We booked a 3 night stay here based on what has become a potent trifecta for most of our travel decisions: enticing rate from a private sale website, good TA reviews, and the hotel's own website. We actually tried 2 hotels and neighbourhoods for this trip--we went south to the Cooper Square Hotel (see separate review) after the Surrey.

I have actually been to this location twice in the past--both times to dine at the restaurant, first when it was Daniel (Daniel Boulud first opened Daniel here before moving to its larger location on East 65th), and then when it was Cafe Boulud. I knew there was a hotel adjacent, but really took no notice. The furthest north we've previously stayed on the Upper East Side was the Pierre on 61st. Thanks to a huge ($60 million and 14 months, I was told) renovation of this former 1926 residence hotel, you now cannot help but notice the Surrey. It reopened in 11/09. It is a quietly elegant UES find; a place to consider alongside the neighbouring Carlyle and Mark hotels. The UES is decidedly upscale, mostly residential. Central Park and Madison Ave. boutiques are a short stroll away, as is the subway stop and Lenox Hill Hospital.

The remodel, by Rottet Studio, is meant to evoke an NYC townhouse "passed down through generations, keeper of a lifetime of memories". It is simultaneously modern and nostalgic. The marble lobby is of good size, with a tapestry of Kate Moss adorning one wall (I think the art installations rotate). Cafe Boulud is on one side, Bar Pleiades (a stylish lounge) on the other. Both have outdoor seating.

I had asked for a street-facing room; ours was a corner room with windows on 2 sides plus the bathroom, so lots of light. It faced Madison Ave. with its New York symphony of honking horns, which thankfully usually took an all night intermission. Rooms facing 76th are probably quieter, although there was street work being done during our stay. The room was the smallest offered--a Deluxe Salon--but was still of decent size, with all the amenities of the next room category (Grand Deluxe Salon), except it was not as long, the 2 chairs were smaller, and there was one bathroom sink vs. 2. Done up in shades of gray with touches of brown, a filigree pattern is echoed in the carpet, pillows, glassware, drapes and A/C unit screen. The minibar is extensive, with large bottles of liquors--there is a Boulud Cocktail program where a mixologist will come to your room with enough accoutrements for 4-5 drinks and mix them up for you. The TV is high def with innumerable channels, including music and an IPod dock. The room light switches are unique--they control all the lights based on the time of day. Rizzoli coffee table books. Cute desk with lift top to hold stationery. Room service menu with some selections from Boulud. The marble bathroom had fantastic lighting, making the magnifying mirror unflinchingly honest. No tub, but a large shower with 2 perfect heads. Pratesi robes.

The spa (which we did not try), fitness center and business center are on the 2nd floor. On the roof, or penthouse level, there is a fabulous outdoor garden/patio open to guests only, with a view of Central Park. It is open seasonally, weather permitting, from about noon well into the night, and is a great place for a drink (they specialize in lemonades muddled with any variety of fruits and herbs, with or without vodka), or a bite to eat (select items from the In-room dining menu). We had lunch reservations at Cafe Boulud one day, but had to cancel, unfortunate especially because Restaurant Week this summer was extended to Labor Day. We did breakfast there one morning and did le petit dejeuner l'express buffet. Consider dressing up for lunch and certainly for dinner.

Service was uniformly outstanding and congenial from reception to housekeeping, with everyone extending a greeting as you passed by. We did not require the services of the concierge, but the head concierge is a member of Les Clefs d'Or. The nattily suited, tall Asian staff member with whom I casually conversed by the elevator at the roof garden turned out to be , I discovered later, none other than General Manager Spencer Wadama. Had I known, I would have complimented him on taking the time to personally respond to each TA review.

Lastly, a few glitches. We arrived in a light rain, bet there was no umbrella in the room. The lobby ran out of umbrellas before 10:30am, so I had to go up and get the (small) one I had fortunately packed. The room also had no lint brush or shoe horn, things I use if they are around, but they were probably available on request. The leaky toilet that left an unseen puddle on the floor necessitated a change of pants. I was told there was no house car, although a TA review mentioned one. Also mentioned in TA reviews is the 50 cents/minute charge for internet use in the business center--ridiculous!

We've tried many NY hotels and neighbourhoods over the years, and the Surrey ranks highly among them. Its smaller size, personal service, style and location are all winning, and we would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 17 September 2010
Daer Pillowsof wanderlust,

Thank you for being so adverntuous and going North of 61st. I am happy you chose the Surrey. Thank you as well for posting your comments.

I must say, your review is extremely detailed. I am happy to share your comments with my team and appreciate the fact that you have recognized so many of my wonderful staff and the hard work that they do every day. We are proud of our hotel but realize that the expectations of service constantly evolve and so we work on improving every day. I respond to all the reviews because I appreciate the time a guest takes to share their experience. Its the least I can do. So the thank you.

My apologies for the mis-communication on the house car service, we do now have it daily but basically in the morning and the dinner hours of the day.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Upper East Side soon,.