“great hotel- great service”
Review of The Surrey

The Surrey
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“great hotel- great service”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This was our second stay at the Surrey and it exceeded all of our expectations. Our room was beyond great . We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was spacous and very romantic. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We loved the bar which was very intimate. Even though the rooftop bar was closed we still went up and enjoyed a great view of the city on a great clear night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel in a top neighborhood.

EPR- MBR Little Silver, NJ

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 20 November 2010
Dear EPR306,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a comment.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am glad to see you enjoyed your experience and could even sneak up and relax in the garden. I hope you can come and stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Turkish first
London, New York
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I was nicely surprised by this hotel. I lived in Manhattan for 10 years and actually never heard of this hotel.

Location: great! Right off Madison avenue, my windows were facing the street and I found the room surprisingly quite. Close to midtown and all shopping, 1/2 block from the park.

Rooms: amazing. Very large, beautifully decorated, marble bathrooms, great interiors. I tried several hotels in NYC but this one is my favorite now.

Food: you have one of the best NYC restaurants in the hotel and plenty others to choose from around.

Service: amazing custome services. the concierge was FANTASTIC! I had to prod off a package and was asking where to find the closest UPS drop off box - there was none withing 10 blocks. Concierge INSISTED he takes care of it for me and he did! They checked me in for a flight, even double confirmed a gate and waited 15 mins outside with my luggage to catch me a taxi in a rush hour. Can't beat that for a busy biz traveler!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear MandMLondon_NewYork,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very happy to read your observations and happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations. My team works very hard to provide the best in service. Although we are far from perfect, our staff is 100% focused on continually improving. Your feedback is a great motivator for us. I will gladly share with my team.

Please let us know when your travels bring you back to New York. All the best.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Thank you very much to the staff at the The Surrey. They made us feel very welcome and looked after. It was a great touch to be recognised coming down the street, as residents, and the door opened well in advance. The room was fantastic and the lighting system great for mood creation. The superior fittings furniture linens shower and overall style of the room made for a great refuge from the bustle of the city. Well done, all your hard work paid off for us.

• Stayed November 2010
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Dear Deesidetraveler,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I appreciate your comments on our service levels, we have an amazing staff and its great to see that they could create a memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future.
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 2 November 2010

But in this case, 95% is just too LOW!!! This business trip, my wife asked to accompany me to New York for her first trip ever to the Big Apple

So, thinking where would be a good location where she could walk, be close to museums and great dining, shopping etc....I went to Trip Advisor and found The Surrey...which also happens to be part of my favorite group of hotels .... Affinia. (normally, I stay at the Dumont when on business alone).

In the course of my reservation, I inserted a one line note that this trip would be my wife's first visit ever to NYC. WOW....did this hotel respond...and respond BIG. The upgraded room was AWESOME.....but the class of service from the front desk, to the bellman, concierge...and the lovely housekeeping staff is what really made this stay PERFECT. Then, the staff arranged for us to dine at the wonderful Cafe Boulud....and this food was a culinary delight!

Thank you so much to the ENTIRE SURREY STAFF - WE TRULY APPRECIATE THIS FINE AND AMAZING SERVICE - SEE YOU SOON - Alan & Bibiana

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank klondikeal
Dear Alan and Bibiana

Well as the GM reading the subject line, I must say, if you goal was to get my heart racing, it did. Very clever.

Thank you for posting a comment and for choosing to stay at the Surrey.

My name is Spencer Wadama.

I am very happy to read your comments and am especially happy to see your comment on our Housekeeping staff. They truly are an amazing group of Ladies and Gentlemen that love the hotel and enjoy taking care of people. I trust that Bibiana's overall New York experience was unforgettable and you can't wait to return.

i do look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey. Thank you again.
london U.K
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Overall we loved this hotel, Its style and location. Its quiet and has nice spacious rooms for NYC! We had a twin bed room but there were NO blackout curtains at the windows? Only blackout blinds? So light would come into the room at either side of the blinds! If like us your used to staying at 5 star properties with total blackout curtains and thats what we have at home too this can be somewhat annoying! Also it was hard to get the temperature just right in the room as on one side of the room was an airconditioning unit (quite loud too) blasting out cool air and on the opposite side of the room a big heater blowing out hot air?! So even though we set the temperature to 72 degress it never got to that and felt cool on one side of the room and hot on the other! Would consider staying here again though would speak to them about these two issues prior to booking to see if all rooms are the same! Also food from room service not great!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank SharonlondonU.K
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Dear SharonLondonU.K.,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read that overall you enjoyed your experience and left with a postive impression. I thank you for your comments you shared on what needs to be improved.
i will discuss your comments about the blinds with our design team, althought we do have blackout blinds, i will look into the particulars of your room to see if there was a flaw in the installation. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can get more information on this. i will ask you look at our website to find my contact information since I cannot share it on my response.

i will also share your comment on In Room dining with my Chef. Please contact me directly so i can better undertsand the details.

Thank you again for your response, I find it very valuable.
new jersey
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Stayed for a weekend night and loved this hotel. Its elegant, trendy and sophisticated all at the same time. Best Concierge in the city, his name is Andrew. If you want some great hospitality make sure you stay here. Loved it!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Dear junoman973,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for the wonderful comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, and I love Andrew as well. He is fantastic and, probably hard to believe, new in his role. Andrew is a natural and the positive comments on his service and personality keep coming in. Thank you for noticing.

I am very happy to see you enjoyed your Surrey experience and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best.

BTW, I love the picture.
Toronto
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed for 2 nights. This was one of the best experiences in NYC, from the moment we arrived the Service* was amazing - the attention to detail was perfect. The rooms were large, clean perfectly appointed, no detail overlooked, the bed was so big I could barely reach my wife! A nice view was requested online and delivered. Cafe Boulud is attached to the hotel and the standard of service flows freely between the two*, lightest Belgium waffles I've had. I look forward to returning often. Thank You.
* I gave 4/5 for Service for the following: The Bar - wait staff not at the same level as Hotel and Restaurant and a few mistakes by the Concierge - I was told 2 incorrect closing times, one for the Guggenheim (not 530 on Sat) the other for Bloomingdales (not 830 on Sat) which caused a lot of wasted time.
Sorry no pics, was so relaxed that I forgot!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple