“Lovely place, Central Location”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #204 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I wisited the Hotel with my tenegeers son, in April.
The Hotel is very centraly located , well appointed rooms with quin beds,althought for US standards the rooms were on the small side, coming from Europe that wasnt an issue as for us is normal size room. Bathroom was decent size too. Very clean and i loved the bedding, such a luxurious feel!
Only huge dissapoitmant was the breakfast, again althought well presented was measy and not enough.
OK we booked Special discounted deal via TravelZoo.com but i didnt expected few tiny pasteries, few slices of fruit,Butter, jam and Orange Juice +Coffe to be considered breakfast! They were trying to get buisness during their Slow months, but that doesnt mean you cut on your breakfast if you offer cheaper bed.
There was this Oldie-worldie feel to the hotel which was appriciated, imaculately clean, but the breakfast spoiled the experianced. Every morning we had to get out the Hotel and fend for our breakfast .
Otherwise the Hotel staff was nice and friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: I guess any room is good, we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the entrance to the Hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just got back from one of many trips my wife and I make up to the Big Apple and I feel compelled to share our experience with the Algonquin Hotel Times Square. The location is great for theatre and many other attractions in the Times Square area and the architecture of the building and its interior is really cool, it is hard to believe that a hotel built in the early 1900s is still in service. Unfortunately that was where it stopped, the room that my wife and I stayed in (305) had a terrible sewage smell coming from the bathroom. I brought it to the attention of the front desk and there response was "they would send somebody up to freshen it up" needles to say that didn't work. Also the rooms are amongst the smallest I have ever seen in my multiple visits to the city. That was just one of many examples of the lack of customer service skills portrayed by their front desk, they really need to be coached on what it takes to deliver a great customer experience that you become accustom to in the Marriott properties. Upon check out, I was never asked anything about how my stay was, so I mentioned the sewer smell again to the front desk clerk and he had zero response...absolutely incredible, I couldn't believe that he didn't even acknowledge the issue. It goes without saying I will never stay at this property again and would advise others to do the same

Room Tip: Not sure what to say but definately if you must stay here hope you don't get room 305
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Greetings and thank you for your candid comments regarding your recent Algonquin stay. On behalf of the Algonquin team, the hotel apologizes for the inconvenience that was caused to you and your wife.

The hotel appreciates the positive comments that you have offered and notes the critical ones as well.

The hotel suggests to guests who may have experienced a service lapse or problem that they contact the hotel directly with the specific information that is required in order to remedy the situation. Please consider taking this step regarding the situation described.

Thank you again for your candor.
Gary J. Budge

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very nice staff, one of them even took me to a back room to meet MATHILDA! (She likes being petted under her chin, btw). The only thing I have to complain about is that when l told the (Marte'd) it was my last nighjt and did he have a nice table for me, he gave me a table with an excellent wiev into the kitcken. Is that how the Alvgoiqin yreats female guists?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I come into the city often. Every now and then stay for an overnight . The Algonquin was a nice stay for us . Queen room not to big , but ok for one night. Staff very friendly. Bathroom updated, with a good shower. Prices for drinks in lobby bar were a shock, even for us. However I still like to sit in that wonderful space. Marty Gordon

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This historic hotel is idea in many ways--the historical significance, the convenient location, and the service. The rooms are on the small side, but this is NYC after all, and it's an old hotel; so it seems like a small sacrifice for accommodations that offer so much else. The Algonquin has been restored to it's natural essence, so stepping into its lobby feels like stepping back in time. The Marriott has done an excellent job with this location. I can't recommend it enough.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. With limited time, we wanted a central location that was great and safe. The Algonquin was perfect! Minutes to Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Times Square and great restaurants and shopping. We had excellent service from the bellmen, front desk and restaurant wait staff. While the bathrooms are small, we loved the way they were decorated and the art deco feel of the hotel. We will definitely check here first for our next visit to the Big Apple!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Silver Elite (which doesn't appear to mean much). Love Marriott - typically my favorite hotel chain.

Booked a room at the Courtyard Times Square West. Flew into NY from CA for 48-hour business trip. Arrived at hotel - no rooms, hotel oversold.

1/2 hour later, was sent to the Algonquin w/ a walk letter. Courtyard graciously paid for taxi and 1st night. However, after arriving the at Algonquin, was informed this only applied to the 1st of 2 nights, and that the 2nd night would cost $444 (compared to the Courtyard that I had booked at $239/night, nearly 1/2 the price).

To make it worse, the only rooms available were one that was full of smoke (they later sent a filter up to clean the air), and another that was facing streetside in front of the 3a trash pickup.

When I asked if they could honor my original rate with the Courtyard, and if there were any other options room-wise, the Algonquin said no (despite having had 2 extra rooms available 3 minutes earlier), and that it was the Courtyard's fault I didn't get a matched rate. Didn't feel like a happy Marriott family.

I took the room in front of the trash pickup, and put on some white noise. Didn't work.

So I'm writing this review on 3 hours of sleep, headed into a full day of work and meetings, and left with serious questions about Marriott. Definitely not staying at the Algonquin again, and now not sure about Marriott either next time. I know this sounds crazy, but the midtown Holiday Inn Express has beaten the Marriott on both quality of rooms and service, at a price that's a third less.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

The Algonquin notes the unfortunate circumstances you found yourself in as you were moved from the hotel where you had booked accommodation to another location with which you were not familiar. Typically a “walk”, displacement from one hotel to another, is a one night commitment with the guest returning to the original hotel the second night. Rates quoted by one hotel or another are individual and not broadly negotiated over the reception desk, even when both hotels share the same brand family. To best resolve an issue related to guest service, consider contacting the hotel directly as each matter is handled individually. Thank you for your feedback.
Gary J. Budge