“Fantastic from check-in to check-out”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #204 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here for a short overnight trip from DC on Sunday (12/1/13) to Monday (12/2/213). Having only ever stayed in bigger hotel chains throughout the city, I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted to find myself at the Algonquin. Though it is a part of the Marriott family of hotels, the Algonquin feels much more like a boutique hotel from the moment you walk under that awning and open the doors to the lobby. Everything about the lobby is charming, with an air of old New York you can almost taste. Whatever renovations were done to update the building did not take away from the unique features that make a building like this so quaint. Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff were pleasant and accommodating. Our room was on the 11th floor, on the back side of the building. I appreciated the ear plugs, discreetly placed in the top drawer of one of the night stands, though there wasn't an excessive amount of street noise heard. Rooms and bathrooms are well-appointed, and while they might seem a bit on the small side, that is to be expected for an older building, such as this one. The bed was very comfortable, one of the best I've slept on in a hotel in quite a while. Check-out was as smooth and uneventful as check-in, and Matilda was there to greet us on our way out. I also appreciated that they were more than willing to hold our bags for the day, since we were not scheduled to head back to DC until later in the evening. Great location for travellers wanting to stay in Midtown, but not right in the middle of all the noise of Times Square.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are a bit small but expected for the building. I would ask for a suite if you are loo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel R
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Greetings and thank you for taking time to share your candid comments about your recent Algonquin Hotel experience. On behalf of our team, we appreciate your business and the fact that you took the time to share your thoughts with fellow travelers. The paragraph you have written captures the essence of The Algonquin and we are pleased you appreciated the experience and chose to share it with others.

Warm Holiday wishes,
Gary J. Budge

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Lovely boutique hotel. Great service. Very close to Times Square. If you are a Marriott Rewards member you may be eligible for some upgrades (with your room and breakfast). Coffee (Starbucks) available all day. The room was very nice but there aren't any good views. The hotel cat, Matilda, was snuggling in the back room both days but staff allowed me to pet her every time I asked. She is now my Facebook friend ❤. We did not drink or dine in the bar due to the high cost (martinis averaged $22) but we did have breakfast which included poached eggs, Algonquin sausage, fruit parfait, breads, juices, etc. We will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

If I could give the Algonquin an extra star, I would. From the minute we checked in (the personnel at check in couldn't be nicer or more helpful) until the time we left, our time at the Algonquin was perfect. The service was impeccable. The room (a suite) was beautiful, and the restaurant warm and inviting. If you want old world charm, this is your place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Greetings and thank you for your candid feedback about The Algonquin. Our team thanks you for taking the time to deliver your comments and impressions about your recent visit to the hotel. All of us are pleased you did enjoy your time at the hotel and we look forward to hosting you once again. Happy holiday season!
Gary J. Budge

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip so I didn't spend much time in the hotel. The hotel is a nice old historic building which includes historic elevators (slow) and historic rooms (small). The rooms are very nicely appointed but very small. The location is great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank anonymous-john
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed in Oct. 2013 and this was my husband and I first time at this hotel. Staff was incredibly helpful. Room clean and chic, but very small. No dresser in the room. Only one person at time in bathroom. Location was great. The bar at the hotel is great, however expensive, A cosmo, was 25.00, but the atmosphere was worth the splurge. Bed comfortable and room was quite. Only issue, was I arrived at 1 30 and my room was not available. I was told that is would be about an hour, and they would call my cell phone when it was ready. They never called, and I checked back myself at 3:30 and I was told it was ready. Wish they had called, as my husband was waiting for the room and was under the weather. Other than that we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel is very nice,,,room was very small but adequate,,,furnace did not work on the coldest day of our trip but, after a couple calls to the front desk they sent a man up to fix it,,,the unit was set to air and not heat,,,no biggie.. The prices for drinks and food were ridiculously high,,no idea what that was about.. glass of wine $16 bottled beer $9....come on that is crazy!!!! Would I go back hmmmm prob not but not because it was not nice ,,,but I would like to be able to have a glass of wine or a dinner at the hotel I was staying at...I refuse to pay those prices!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Got the Algonquin Hotel via Hotwire for a great deal for a long weekend with a friend in NYC, pre-Thanksgiving weekend.

The hotel's history is rather long and interesting, as mentioned in other reviews.

Check-in was a breeze about 10pm after a late flight in. There is a large and fluffy hotel cat named Matilda, and she was present in the lobby for our check-in. She's very unobtrusive, but for those who have serious cat allergies, know she's going to be in the lobby on pretty much a daily basis. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, including the concierge who printed out a couple of e-mail attachments for me without so much as a grumble. Doormen are attentive also.

The rooms all have quotes from various Algonquin Round Table figures on the doors, which is a nice touch. Our second-floor room was rather small, as per NYC standards. The bathroom was also small, but the shower has warm water with good pressure and L'Occitane amenities provided. The hotel's major drawback for me was our room faced the street, and the street noise at W 44th and 5th Ave is loud and constant. They provide two pairs of ear plugs in the drawers by way of acknowledgement, but if you're insistent on a quiet place to sleep, maybe the rooms facing the street here aren't for you. It's an old hotel with old windows. The light-blocking curtains, however, do work very well, and the bed was quite comfortable.

Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant. Did however get to visit the Blue Bar in the lobby. The barkeep from Romania (whose name I did not catch, sadly) is an interesting gentleman, and his drinks, while expensive ($21 for an Old-Fashioned as an example), are quite generously (as in four full ounces of liquor) poured.

All in all, a charming, quirky, historical hotel in a fantastic location for Manhattan. Would definitely do it again, especially if you can catch it on Hotwire for a bargain!

Room Tip: Lots of noise in the street-facing rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends