“Love the historic feel of this great hotel!”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #186 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bushkill, Pennsylvania
“Love the historic feel of this great hotel!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway in the city. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted by the very friendly front desk staff. We are platinum members with Marriott Rewards, and this was instantly acknowledged. We received the normal check in gift, but also an upgraded room and two vouchers for free breakfast each morning. Once check in was complete, we were taken to our room by a bellhop who showed us the features of the room.

The room itself is small, but on par with other rooms I've stayed in in NYC; space is at a premium in this great city so I don't expect my room to be huge. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern and clean. We loved the picture over the bed, it was a classic NYC scene and it lit up and made a perfect night light.

All the staff was friendly, greeting us every time we walked past them. Breakfast was good, the prices if you are paying are a little much, but for free it was very good with juice and coffee/tea included and the waiters were very friendly and accommodating.

The history of this hotel is very neat, and Marriott has kept a lot of the historical features. I loved the railings on the staircases. Also, Matilda the cat, though not around much, is very cute and a great touch! The location of this hotel is also amazing for anything you want to do, close to Times Square and Broadway and also close enough to the subway that you can get anywhere quickly. I would very highly recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to comment on your Algonquin visit, we appreciate your feedback and the series of photos you elected to take and post. We’re pleased you valued the way the historic pull through of this 1902 building was managed during the guts to décor renovation which took place in 2012-2013. Most importantly we are pleased that you found the team of associates at The Algonquin to be worthy of positive comments, they are our strongest asset.

The Algonquin Hotel is part of Autograph Collection, an affiliate brand of Marriott International through a franchise agreement. The hotel is not owned or managed by Marriott International.

Gary J. Budge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at the Algonquin for a long weekend. Generally I was happy with the hotel, with just a few exceptions.

The hotel's location is awesome -- easy walking distance to Times Square, Grand Central and the Theater District. The closest subway stop is about 2 blocks away.

My room was small (to be expected in NYC), but it was clean and nicely remodeled. There were a couple of maintenance issues that were disappointing -- the reading light above the bed was broken, and the toilet paper holder was missing a screw, so the paper wouldn't stay in the holder. Very annoying, since every time the paper was pulled, the roll would go flying across the floor.

The free breakfast provided by my elite Marriott status was very disappointing. A small bowl of fruit, plus 3 ice-cold pastries (menu price: $24) and a cup of tea (menu price: $7).

By far, the most annoying thing about my visit was the constant slamming of room doors at all hours of the day and night. The rooms desperately need some hydraulic or automatic closers installed to eliminate the jarring noise.

I would consider staying here again next time I visit New York, but would also be inclined to look at other hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Seattle_RWB
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Greetings and thank you for taking time to comment on your recent visit to The Algonquin Hotel, your business is appreciated.

We’re pleased to know you found the location of the hotel to be close to everything in the heart of Midtown, we thank you for catching the items which you noted as needed correction. The Algonquin continental breakfast served to you has a retail inclusive price of $24.00 and includes juice, hot beverage, the pastry and fruit selection. Additionally, a gratuity is paid to the server as part of our amenity to you, we do not reheat the pastry following their daily delivery from our baker, Balthazar, located in Soho, in lower Manhattan. We will visit each guest room and make appropriate adjustments to the automatic door closing devices that our doors do have to lessen future noise comments.

Congratulations on being an elite status guest with Marriott Rewards through the loyalty program and thank you again for the time you have taken to comment to us.

Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My Father brought me to NY in 1967 to see CABARET,Man of La Mancha,HAIR and King Lear. He chose to stay at the Algonquin. My life and work since has kept me away from NYC. With a chance to see some plays with my wife for a weekend,my thoughts turned to staying at The Algonquin. What a thrill! I truly appreciate the historical significance of this hostelry and was delighted to sit in the Lobby for a drink,to breakfast in the Roundtable Restaurant and just soak up the atmosphere. When I was here in 1967,Ursula Andress was sitting in the Lobby when I came down in the elevator. This was only 3 years since the release of THUNDERBALL and her stunning beauty was almost more than my adolescent senses could handle! At the other extreme,I also saw Shirley Booth...HAZEL. Well, neither were there this trip but we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Very cordial,helpful staff...Edwin & Christine were most helpful at the Front Desk. Manny & Jermaine were spot on and Mohammed took great care of us in the restaurant. One drawback...the bathroom ( Rm. 1002) reminded me of the WC on a recent Princess Cruise ship...VERY small. But,we saw 3 plays,Museum of Natural History, the TODAY SHOW and Jerry Seinfeld in literally 48 hours,so we WEREN'T in our room a whole lot. I might investigate different rooms on my next trip. BUT, we left there with warm feelings and and an eagerness to return. Nice trip to NYC made better by The Algonquin.

Room Tip: Room 1002 has small but usable bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drifly77
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Greetings and after 47 years away, welcome back to The Algonquin! We’re happy you decided to again stay with us on your return to New York City and that you had a good visit this time as well. The Algonquin continues to be a great place to feel the authenticity of New York and it certainly sounds like you found that while our guest. Thank you for your business.
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel early to check in after giving them 8 hours notification that I would be in a slightly early.
The front desk clerk basically told me they just gave away the room, that it wasn't his fault, and not his problem.
When I explained I had called to ensure I had a room so that I could prepare for my afternoon business appointments and change clothes, he suggested I take my luggage to the bathroom and change there.
I was clearly upset, to which he again said it wasn't his fault.
No offer of help or to get a manager.
THEN as I sat in the lobby I could hear the staff talking about me negatively.
The staff here acts as if the guests are a bother and have a "what do YOU want"? approach.
I am platinum with Marriott. If they treat me this way, what must the general guest feel like?

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Daltxdude
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to post your frustration with The Algonquin on the manner in which you were treated by our morning reception team at the hotel on March 4th, 2014. It is never the hotel’s intention to displease a guest and we are humbled by your remarks. As we learned from our interaction with you on Tuesday, the specific requirement found in your profile, which does take time to prepare, is no longer valid. Knowing that it will be much easier for a hotel to accommodate your request for an early check in, rather than go through the process of creating a feather free environment for your visit as well.
The Algonquin, with a very high level of occupancy, cannot always accommodate early check in requests. The hotel does hold luggage for a guest awaiting their room and does, as you indicate, suggest using the very large and private restrooms found on the second level, for persons who wish to freshen up and change their clothes.
Many travelers book their room for arrival the night before to be certain that they can have immediate access to a room upon their arrival regardless of the hour.
Thank you again for your remarks and for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

You could sense the history as soon as you walk into the lobby at the Algonquin. The staff are helpful, friendly and are always on hand to offer advice. The rooms are small but its Manhattan, you do not spend a huge amount of time in there as there is so much to do. The bed was very comfortable and rooms clean. With free coffee every day and great diner next door you get every day off to a great start. We will return to the algonquin as its a perfect place to have as a base for an nyc break

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Glenroy74
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We recently grabbed a special 2-night package for this renovated hotel, including a free cocktail and a free continental breakfast each day. Marriott has done a nice job of modernizing the place while retaining a traditional charm. Unfortunately, part of the tradition is the small room size. However, it is still very well appointed with an extremely comfortable queen bed.

The continental breakfast was adequate but, for a $3 charge, we could upgrade to a full American. That was a no-brainer. Also, the cocktail chit was good for any drink without limitation.
The service throughout was exceptional and the food was well prepared.

As mentioned by others, the Wi-Fi was less than effective. Apparently, it is provided by three "hot spots" that just cannot handle the traffic.

Having said that, there's still nothing like sitting in the living room lobby and home of the famous Roundtable watching life go by.

We will definitely return soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dsrocc
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Greetings and thank you for taking time to comment on your recent visit to the updated Algonquin Hotel, we appreciate your feedback. We’re glad to know you found a package that represented value while traveling with Continental Breakfast and a cocktail included in the wrapped pricing.

We’re also pleased to know you found the service exceptional and the food served to be well prepared.

In spring of 2014, The Algonquin will be upgrading access points throughout the hotel to enhance distribution of Wifi in guest rooms and public areas, this should be helpful toward providing more reliable internet access to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and we look ahead to your next visit.

New York
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My 13 year old and I needed an escape from our life upstate so we booked a single night at the Algonquin. All I can say is we're going to do this again really soon. Everything about our experience during our single night was perfect. We walked to the hotel after spending the afternoon at a museum and it had started pouring rain so when we arrived we were soaked clutching not much more than a knapsack and maybe one shopping bag. I thought the front desk was going to give us the "really fellas" look but it was the exact opposite. We were treated like every customer should always be treated, with respect. They couldn't have been nicer. We had to wait a very short time because our room wasn't ready but not more than 5 minutes later the front desk person found us in the lobby, apologized for the room not being ready and upgraded us to a suite (no extra charge). Having a suite really added to the experience but I'm sure a regular room would have been perfectly sufficient. We ran in and out of the hotel over the next few hours getting takeout and just going for a late walk in Times Square and each time the doormen couldn't have been nicer. The location of this hotel couldn't be better. Right in the middle of Times Square, off on a side street so you get all the benefits of the location but none of the noise. New York is noisy but this room was very quiet. We ran into a few maintenance people and they were great too. They weren't overly friendly (which I hate in a hotel when employees go overboard with the kindness), just genuine New York nice. Check out was a breeze and by the time we started home we both felt pampered and refreshed. This isn't your average hotel, it's so much better. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank view2mtn
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Greetings and thank you for making the Algonquin your choice for the one night visit to New York City. Your business is appreciated as is the time you took to provide your candid feedback about your stay. We’re pleased you liked the way the team engaged with you and your child and that you found this group of professionals to be “New York nice”. The Algonquin associates are very genuine in their care and concern for the people we serve, our guests. Please come back again!