The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$185
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$191
US$139
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$157
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$350
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$170
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Soho Grand Hotel(New York City)
US$440
US$321
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$312
US$278
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$148
  • Restaurant
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$331
US$298
Agoda.com
2,099 results
All reviewsblue bardorothy parkerhotel catliterary historyoldest hotelthe blue roomtimes squarenew yorkrooms are smallred flamemarriott pointsclassic hotellobby loungebryant parkthe theater districtstreet noisefree coffee
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed in room 206 which had a malfunction in the air conditioner which made it GRUNT like an alarm clock EVERY 60 seconds. AWFUL! Could not sleep a wink. They had no room to switch us to and the maintenance man would have had to spend an hour on a ladder de-installing the machine. Wow, what a nightmare. With earplugs I slept some, but a total mess.

Room Tip: Ask if the air conditioner has been fixed
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank johnnylobo
MannyIR, Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I’m very sorry to hear that it was not up to your—or our own standards. We have shared your feedback with our engineering team, who have been able to resolve the problem with the room. We take pride in our property, and I hope that the next time you visit us, we can make it up to you.

Thanks!

Mary Herman
Rooms Operations Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2014

What a pleasure to stay at this historic hotel. The hotel has been renovated and offers an updated experience. Rooms can be small, but offer standard ammenities. The lobby lounge/bar is the perfect place to meet for cocktails and the staff was great.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room if available.
1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Hmmm, I found this review hard to rate as my husband loves this place and has stayed before - I would have voted it 3.5 stars if that was available.

The pros are the wonderful history of the hotel, with each guest room featuring a witty New Yorker cartoon on the door, the nice room decor, the ionic Round Table in the lobby, and the fantastic location only two blocks from Times Square and Grand Central Station not to mention excellent shops and restaurants. I personally don't like cats so Matilda the cat is no draw for me!

The cons are furniture and room housekeeping. Our room featured a non-essential desk and chair you had to squeeze past to get to the bathroom, and a small armchair next to the bulky air conditioner, but hardly any hangers in the wardrobe (although I am used to this in hotels) and only one bedroom table with a lamp with two drawers big enough for a few t-shirts each - and they were the only drawers for me and my husband for a four-night stay which forced us to store our clothes in, and live out of suitcases. I'd recommend they get rid of the desk, replace it with a big chest of drawers and place the TV on that.

Australians at home and in hotels always use a top sheet on their bed but it was the first time I've ever stayed in a so-called four-star hotel in the USA which did not make the beds with a top (flat) sheet over the fitted sheet.

I told the front desk in the morning it was missing and they said something about being a Green Hotel which meant you only get a top sheet if you especially ask for it. I never ask for the sheets nor towels to be changed during my stay and I take my own shampoo etc, but this was a first. I was even less impressed that when we returned after a day out, housekeeping just left the top sheet folded in a pile on the bed for us to make our own damn bed. Just what you feel like at 11pm. When I asked about that the next day, they said the evening service doesn't make the bed. Huh? I had asked them to add the sheet in the morning.

We are going to New York again before Christmas and are staying elsewhere. Hopefully I don't have to ask for a top sheet there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank visitrequisites
MannyIR, Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for proving detailed comments with regards to your recent stay at the Algonquin Hotel. Your feedback is appreciated as it provides us with a way to constantly improve the experience for our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed the unique character, charm and excellent location that the Algonquin has to offer as you mentioned in your comment. We take pride in the history and the story behind what makes the Algonquin unique, different and special. Our rooms are not typically large in size so the furniture and décor selected was meant to provide comfort to our guests. We apologize for the short comings experienced with service when requesting a top sheet. Please know that providing exemplary guest experiences is of the upmost importance to us at the Algonquin Hotel. Christmas is a wonderful time to visit New York City we hope you reconsider your decision and choose the Algonquin Hotel for your future visit.
Regards,
Abeer Soliman
Sr. Operations Manager, Rooms

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I'm only giving this hotel an average rating because the front desk staff was lovely and the classic lobby is still awesome. Otherwise, the stay was a big disappointment. The "recently renovated" room was pretty but very shabby - and not in a chic way. I can't believe a Marriott properly "features" ripped carpet, upholstery with scary stains, a bathroom vanity with badly chipped veneer and a soaked carpet in front of the malfunctioning air conditioner. For these troubles, the front desk gave us free breakfast and some money off the rate. Still, I'd go for a drink in the lobby and skip the expensive rooms next time.

Also, the famous cat, Matilda, was nowhere to be seen day or night.

Room Tip: don't stay here
1  Thank suekush

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Algonquin Hotel. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to the associates and the lobby. We apologize for the shortcomings experienced with the guest room but happy that the Front Desk was able to provide you with compensation for your troubles. Matilda is always on the job day and night however she does take cat naps to reenergize. We are sorry you missed her please let us know directly when you plan on visiting and she will be sure to make herself available. You can email her at Email Matilda she can also be reached on Facebook or Twitter.
Regards,
Abeer Soliman
Sr. Operations Manager, Rooms

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Me and my mother have just returned from a four night stay at the Algonquin where we had a fantastic stay and would highly recommend staying there for a trip to the big apple. The hotel is fabulous with nothing more you could want - clean and tidy, friendly and welcoming staff, free coffee or tea throughout the day,free wifi, lovely rooms and in a GREAT location! The hotels spot is perfect - a 20 minute walk from central park and all the shops upon fifth avenue (tiffanys,hollister,saks ect), 10 minute walk from times square and broadway. The hotel itself is on a quite street so you don't have to worry about noise from the crazy city. The lounge and restaurant within the hotel is quite pricey but there is an excellent diner next door which we would use for breakfast where the service was great, the food was delicious and was a good value for money - if going for breakfast I would recommend getting there no later than 8am to be seated straight away, as it would soon get busy with a lot of people waiting around for tables. Everyone raves about the beds and they do right to do so, as they are the comfiest beds you will come across! and give you the best nights sleep after being on your feet all day. I will defiantly be staying at the Algonquin again for future trips to NYC as it is in a great location and just a fab hotel.

1  Thank lwalker18