“Just about perfect!”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #206 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 March 2009

In order, the best things about the Algonquin are: STAFF, location, ambiance.

I arrived on December 26. My first and very positive impression of the hotel was by the doorman. My cab driver from Penn Station was rude, but even worse, he took off with my luggage in the trunk. The doorman ran down 44th to rescue it ... and my entire trip! I was able to get into my room before 11a.m. so I could get settled early. The desk staff was helpful at check-in, check-out, and in-between. The bellman was friendly and full of information, and we often chatted about my theater experiences. The concierge went out of his way to help me satisfy my curiosity about the long line at Bryant Park -- it was for the skating rink!

The location could not be beat ... a super-easy walk to Broadway shows, shopping (esp. the dozens of Bryant Park's holiday kiosks), banks (I needed these after my Bryant Park shopping spree!), restaurants, Fifth Avenue for the holiday lights, Grand Central Station for its light show, etc.

My room was small but comfortable. Despite the age of the hotel, the room was not at all dated -- very nice TV, great bed and linens, convenient seating, and desk. I was in the back, so it was quiet, but certainly no great view. The bathroom was small, more dated than the bedroom, but functional and completely adequate. Everything was immaculate.

I was enchanted by the historical ambiance of the hotel’s public spaces, reflecting its beginnings in the early 20th century. It looked like you would run into a famous author or actor of that era at any moment! The hotel cat was a charming surprise and didn't bother anyone that I noticed. The wallpaper and various room signs were interested to read -- really captured the literary history of the hotel.

The only problem (if you could call it that) was the elevator -- there were two but only one seemed to be for guests and one often had to wait for it. I just took the stairs to and from my room on the sixth floor occasionally.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,026)

Reviewed 22 February 2009

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights on a mini-vacation and the Algonquin was very nice! Very clean and comfortable! Yes, the room was smallish, but who cares when you are in the middle of NYC! We especially loved the bathroom shower which had great water pressure, which is a nice change these days!

The location is great...walking distance to everything. Like most hotels in NYC it can be pricey, but if you need a nice basic breakfast with normal prices, there is a nice cofffee shop right next door.

We loved the Algonquin and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger S
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We love the Algonquin! The concierges are wonderful, the location is amazing, and the decor is classy and cozy! The rooms are on the small side, but who stays in their room all day?! If you are in New York City and sitting in your room a majority of the time, we feel sorry for you!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earthalive
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Check out The Blue Bar for classic cocktails and first class service. Ask for Christian behind the bar--he is amazing.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank moderne-ist
Reviewed 29 November 2008

My husband and I went up to NYC for Thanksgiving and stayed one night in the Algonquin, and the next in the Sheraton...I wished we had stayed both nights at the Algonquin!

The good:
Location: Just a block away from Times Square, easy walk from Penn Station, down a side street that feels a little less chaotic than staying right in Times Square.

Rooms: Small, but very nice. The bed was comfortable, the TV (flat screen) was great, the bathroom, even though small was nice and had bath and body works toiletries. There was also a robe to use, and 2 bottles of cold water waiting for us.

Check in: Flawless and quick.

Service: Mike, one of the bellhops was outstanding! He was friendly and very helpful.

Decor: We loved the old NY hotel feel to it all - every thing in the room was new, and looked like it had been recently renovated, but we were glad to see they kept things like the New Yorker wall paper - it just added a really nice touch to being in the city.

The bad:
The room was on the small side, I don't know if it would work so well if you had children with you (unless you got a suite).

Overall:
I would definitely recommend staying at the Algonquin!

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank ncreviews
Reviewed 17 November 2008

The Algonquin is charming and cannot be beaten for location, just off 6th Ave. That having been said, it is really not a place to stay for any reason other than business travel. My room was so small that I could almost touch both walls when I stood in the center. The LCD TV and wireless Internet were fine, but the room was simply not any place you would want to spend sustained time in other than to sleep. The house cat (I forgot her name) is cute and the hotel is of historic significance. I did like the bar and the complimentary cookies. I booked it on priceline at something like $175 a night, so from that standpoint it was a bargain.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Its hard to draw a final conclusion about this hotel, as its location is pretty great, its close to time square and Broadway, but the hotel itself has a very high opinion of itself which it does not really deserve.

I will start with the positives, it was a very clean hotel, with good service and the rooms have all be updated quite recently to a high standard.

However, the rooms are VERY small, and it can be very noisy overnight. Now I know that being pretty central, you have to expect some noise, however, the windows in the rooms, combined with a large a/c unit meant that allot of street noise got in, so much in fact, that it was just as noisy with the windows open. I don't ask much from a hotel except that I have to be able to sleep in it, which I found very hard. The noise is particularly bad at the moment, as there is allot of building work going on next to the hotel, which does start very early. A coffee maker is also absent, which is pretty poor for any hotel, let alone on as expensive as this. This would have not been too bad, except the hotel menu was particularly expensive, even for a cup of coffee.

Having stayed in a wide range of hotels, of many different stars, I cant say that the Algonquin deserves the 4 stars is has, 3 would be more appropriate and it would still need a coffee maker.

Overall, if you are a heavy sleeper and are planning to spend very little time in the room, its not a bad choice, however, if like me you are a light sleeper and like a coffee 1st thing in the morning, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends