“expect poor service if you purchase on the internet”

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
Ranked #189 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
san diego
“expect poor service if you purchase on the internet”
Reviewed 18 November 2005

I was there for three days. They have some very...very small rooms. I stayed on the bed so my Husband could dress. When I asked for a bigger room the next day. I was refused even though I was staying for three days. I explained it was my 50th bithday and I was in the city to celebrate. I thought that would maybe exlicit some postive response, but no . My thought was that I was refused to be accomodated because I paid for the room from expedia. Some hotels do note that discount, and provide poor service accordingly

4 Thank zord

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Staffordshire, UK
Reviewed 18 November 2005

Just arrived back from an 8 night stay at the Hotel Algonquin and would recommend it highly.

During our stay we found the staff to be very helpful and always friendly, with the concierge being especially knowledgable of local and reasonable bars!

The location is fantastic only a few blocks from Times Square and on the corner of 5th Avenue and the hotel was spotless, with the rooms being cleaned to a very high standard daily. The decor is lovely with New Yorker cartoons on the wallpaper in the halls with the hotel being incredibly homely with the bar also being very classy but still friendly. Nothing seemed too much trouble for any of the staff.

If we had to pick any 'faults' the tv wasnt great if you plan to use it a great deal and the bar in the hotel was on the pricey side, though their cocktails were very strong!!!!

If you plan to spend your time seeing the sights of New York and dont want to waste time travelling around then this centrally located hotel is perfect as the large majority of sights are well within walking distance.

We have been to New York on several occassions and i know that we will definitely be staying here again!

Look out for "Matilda" the hotel cat who is absolutely beautiful and very friendly!

10 Thank Jo1979UK
Reviewed 9 November 2005

Warm, friendly staff who seem to know everything about the hotel and the surrounding areas. Super generous and polite. We loved our 2 night stay there and would definitely recommend it to those we know. Was also great having Time Square just a couple blocks away. There was a bit of construction across the street when we were there (late October 2005) which was a bit annoying but didn't change our great impression of the hotel and its knowledgable staff.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 8 November 2005

This place was fantastic all round and the only thing it missed was a quiet area downstairs to relax in but other than that I cannot fault a thing. The location was excellent; being centered nicely between all the major attractions (Times Square, Empire State Building, 5th Avenue, Broadway and transport centers), the staff were helpful and friendly at all times plus they never failing to hail me a cab within minutes of leaving the front door. The bed was also the most comfortable I have ever slept on and makes mine at home pale in comparison. Overall the Algonquin was fantastic value for money.

4 Thank hamish72
Reviewed 31 October 2005

If you're looking for a quiet, beautiful hotel with excellent service, the Algonquin is perfect.
* The rooms are on the small side but actually above average for NYC. Ours had a desk, window seat, flat screen TV and the most comfortable bed ever!
* The beds and linens are supremely comfortable - on par with the Ritz in Chicago which is fabulous!
* The hotel staff is wonderful - friendly and helpful.
* As noted in another reiview, the clientele is on the older side (mostly late 40s and up). If you're looking for a place where the young, hip and trendy hang out in the lobby/bar, then this place is not for you. However, I don't go to a hotel to hang out with the other hotel guests and the nightcap we had Saturday night in the lounge area was perfect nice as we could actually hear each other talk!
* Location is perfect - just a couple blocks or so from Times Square.
* The one detraction from all this excellent was the lack of coffee in the room or the lobby area. I can understand not having it in the room as space is somewhat at a premium, but nothing in the lobby that you can take back to your room either? That's just unacceptable. Your options were to sit down in the restaurant and have a cup there (not something I want to do when I've just woken up), order room service ($$$$) or walk a couple of blocks to Starbucks and bring it back. I ended up going to Starbucks but was not very happy about it. Hopefully they will change this practice and set up a morning coffee/tea bar in the lobby. When you're paying this much for a room, I think that's the least they can do.
* Overall, I absolutely loved this hotel and would return in a heartbeat...I'd just be prepared for the morning coffee hike!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 October 2005

Cancelled flights resulted in our staying in NYC for 2 nights this past week. Hotel we normally stay at was booked, but we were able to get a last minute reservation at the Algonquin.

Staff is the friendliest we have encountered in years. From the doorman, front desk, bellman, wait staff in the restaurant - everyone was extremely pleasant and professional. We really must commend the Romanian born bartender who was not only friendly, but who made the best martini I have had in years. He STIRRED it without having to be asked - what a treat in this day of shaken everything. When I complimented him on this he stated "This is the Algonquin where the martini is always stirred." Definitely my kind of place.

I will admit to being over 50 but I also know that I would have been pleased with this hotel had I been 20, 30 or 40 years old.

If you find that your tastes are not mature enough to enjoy the Algonquin do yourself a favor and come back when they are.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow
Reviewed 5 October 2005

Stayed at the Algonquin for 3 nights in September for my first time in NYC. Hotel was lovely - and very very classy. Only really 2 complaints - the room we had was very very small - nice, but small!! Oh and the concierge who initially appeared very helpful was offering tickets for Broadway around 200 dollars each - i walked up to the Ticket Booth and got 2 tickets for 100 dollars for mamma mia. Then when asked to book us a table at a particular restaurant we had asked about - she recommended somewhere else - when we stated no we wanted "Smith and Wollenskys" - she came back to us to say no reservations.....strange that an hour later i walked to the restaurant and got a table immediately. That said, very comfortable hotel which i would be happy to stay in again. Oh and if you love cats - Matilda is a gem!!

• Stayed September 2005